Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ Tough Love

Welcome! I've decided to start an encouragement thread for those who need a kick in the butt. I love the life boat, chat and 40 plus but I need more. I need people who may be in a rut or slowly regaining like myself. Someone to let me know (as kind as possible) that it is not OK.
I think we will let this thread turn into what we each need.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #2  

I have regained. It's not ok!! It's unhealthy! No wonder I stay tired. I carriedy youngest grandchild around a lot last weekend and it was hard !!

I need a swift kick in the rear when I don't stick to plan.
So far so good today.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #3  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

All right, here are some tough words for anyone reading this, including myself:

__________________________________________________ ____________

You owe it to those who care about you to live as long as you can!

You will not live your full lifespan at your current weight!

And even during the years that remain to you, your obesity will impair
your ability to be mobile and active and involved in your loved ones' lives!

This is scientific fact, beyond a shadow of a doubt!
__________________________________________________ ____________

I owe it to my sweet husband Bob, my sister Lee Ellen, my niece Margaret and her son Gavin, my other nieces & nephews, my grand-nieces & grand-nephews, my sisters-in-law, my friend Mary, my friend Robine, my friend Rebecca, my friend June, my friend Serge, my friend Philippa, my friend Margery, my friend Mary Ellen, my friend Barbara, my friends here on 3FC, my other friends, my numerous snail-mail correspondents, all the people who appreciate my art, and last but not least, my kittens Oscar and Nénu! Not to mention all the friends I have yet to meet...

Whom do you owe it to? It may help you to list them out here. There are a lot of them who are affected by your weight. If you don't want to do that, at least take a moment to review all of those people & animals in your mind.

These are people & animals who would be devastated if you succumbed to an early death from one of the many ways that obesity can kill you.

These are people & animals whose lives are less rich, right now, because you are not as happy and as active as you would be if you were at a healthy weight.

These are people & animals who watch you suffer, physically and emotionally, from your obesity, and want very much for you to be at a healthy weight.

Think about all of them, I implore you, as you make your daily choices about diet and exercise.

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-25-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #4  

WOW! Fi, I already got more out of this thread then I expected!
So true. Thank you!
Debbie, I too am having a good day. Let's both report success tomorrow and then start another good, on plan day. No excuses.

Last edited by Ubee; 04-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #5  

Great day!! No more food will cross these lips today !
My hubby has bipolar disorder and needs me to help him thru the bad times. I have 2 daughters and a son and 5 grandchildren. Also 2 son Inlaws and a dil. My poor mom hasn't recovered from my dad and brother dyeing. I also have close friends and family. I have to live and be able to be active!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #6  

Good job Debbie!
I am done for the day also.
Vitamins-Check
Water-Check
Food OP-Check
Exercise-Check
Posting-Check
First time in a long time I can check all my boxes!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #7  

Forgot vitamins. Will take calium tonight.
Water check. Exercise. A little. Could have done more
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #8  

Good Morning!
Saturdays are tough for me so I have a plan in place for my food. I've started on the water. Most importantly I have a plan to stay busy so I do not do my I'm bored eating.
I have been giving Fi's post a lot of thought and It occured to me what a handful I would be if I had a stroke at this weight. My husband would kill himself trying to take care of me. It is not OK for me to remain this heavy.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Tough love is definitely needed. Obviously I know how to lose weight effectively because I got the first 50 pounds off and then have been yo-yoing with the next 20 for an entire year. I've lost it and regained it 4 times now. I could kick myself when I think where I would be now if I'd lost that 80 pounds instead of losing and regaining.

My checklist is a little different:
1) No eating unless I'm sitting at the table (kitchen or dining room).
2) Everything that gets eaten at the table must be weighed or measured first.
3) Eating must be a conscious activity. No, I don't eat while I'm asleep, but I have a tendency to read a book or watch TV or whatever and before I know it, everything is gone.
4) If I eat something, it has to get recorded in my food log.

Loved Fi's post and the others as well. But I need to focus on doing this for me first. While I dearly love my friends and especially my family and pets, over the years I've come to realize that loving myself fell to the bottom of the list. So, I'm working on loving me a little more.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #10  

I did it!! I ate Mexican and stuck to my plan.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #11  

Way to go Debbie! Proud of you! Feels good doesn't it???
Betsy glad to have you join us!
Vitamins-Check
Water-Check
Food OP-Check
Exercise-Check
Posting-Check

Last edited by Ubee; 04-26-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #12  

Day is planned. I did not sleep well so I really need to focus.
What about everyone else?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #13  

Same here , didn't sleep well!! I was outside all day yesterday and very sinusy today. Need to be careful or I will cave and go for comfort food!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Slept like a log because we were with the grands yesterday and I have both dogs here, but am up and at 'em today. Day is planned out in terms of food. Activity remains to be seen based on when we'll be taking the older grand back to his folks' house -- he's out fishing with his Grandpa and was so excited he suggested they go to bed as soon as they got home so they could get up early.

That's the kick in the seat of the pants I need. I don't want to be absolutely exhausted after a few hours with the little ones. Don't want to need to sit down because it hurts too much to stand for more than a few minutes. Want to be able to swing the little one on his swingset for as along as he wants.

This rule about eating at the table is working. I'm too lazy to get up in the evening -- which is my total downfall time -- and move to the table. Kind of ironic, because I wasn't too lazy previously to get up to get something to eat that wasn't on plan, but I'm too lazy to then eat it at the table. Go figure -- I never claimed to be 100% sane.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #15  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I know exactly what you mean, Betsy, about being too lazy to get up and eat something at the table, even though you're not too lazy to get up and get something to eat.

For me, sitting at our table is uncomfortable, because my big thighs don't fit under the wood that projects down from it in front of one's chair. (It's an antique English school table, so it wasn't really designed for fat adult thighs: I fit under it just fine when I weigh 140.) I have to sit at an angle. So I rarely eat at the table—basically only when we have guests.

And this is somewhat of a problem for me—being too comfortable when I eat, and almost never eating without doing something else at the same time (reading or writing, not so much TV or movies). I almost always eat at the makeshift desk I have in the living room, which is a wide shelf underneath the big many-paned front window of our house. I'm eating my lunch there, in fact, while I write this posting on my iPad. I'm actually doing four things at once—writing a posting, eating lunch, listening to music, and watching neighborhood kids playing on the sidewalk. I adore multi-tracking: I wouldn't give up this habit for the world. Yet I know quite well it's not how one is "supposed to" eat.

I don't know... can't there be more than one way to incorporate eating into one's life? For me, most food that's not sweet is boring: ergo, I usually eat boring food like sliced turkey or uninspiring salad. Every week or so, Bob makes me a Mexican omelet with cheese, nopalitos, and jalapeños: now that gets my full attention. =grin=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote