Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #79

Good morning ladies. It is warm this morning. I don't have the ac on, but it won't be long and I will have to turn it on. We went pretty much from chilly to hot weather and left out spring weather altogether.

My little table that sits next to my end of the recliner crashed this morning. What a mess that was to clean up. The grommet is gone and it looks like it can't be fixed so out it goes I guess. I brought in another little table I used to use for an end table and it should work okay until we buy new tables for the living room next year.

Looks like my Croc sandals have a holdup being delivered. There was some truck breakdown so they are stuck in Nashville until they can get them shipped out then they have to go through the postal system so I hope I get them before the weekend, but who knows.

I have started the boys birthday presents, at least Jackson's. He desperately wanted an Emmitt Lego Watch so I bought him one and he wanted a soccer goal so I bought him one and a new soccer ball. Haven't heard from Thomas what he wants for his birthday. It is kind of nice to have them both in the same month, but stretches the budget more. I can't believe Thomas is going to be 14 and going into high school in the fall. Alicia said Jackson is all excited to be 7. I guess that is going from little kid to big kid.

Still working on the mitten. I was going to start another project and decided not to so I hope I can get it done today or tomorrow and get them washed and ready.

I need to wrap my bff's birthday knitting and get it ready to ship out on Friday for her. Her birthday is a week from Friday, but I like to surprise her so every year I move around when I am going to ship it out so she doesn't know when she will get something. I hope they like Applebees as that is where I got her a gift card this year along with a scarf, hat, and the footies.

Jean: I am not sure there is enough room in our laundry room to put the large front loaders. I would love to have a pair of them, but the area is just not wide enough, but the ones I have work perfectly well and I don't need to replace them. I really love my Maytag dryer. It doesn't have a steam setting, but it does have something similar that freshens up things. My washer works really well but the darn thing is noisier than the devil. It clicks and clacks through cycles.

Maggie: Glad you have something you can take. Kelly takes something that starts with an "L" I think for her migraines. Poor thing has an autoimmune disease that was in remission and not is coming back. It is a skin disease which causes peeling of the skin and blisters and awful painful stuff. I feel so sorry for her when she goes through this and it takes time for it to regress again. They can't decide whether this disease is genetic or not. I carry the gene for vitiligo, but neither I nor my kids have it nor do my grandchildren. My mother had it moderately badly as did my grandfather. I don't know if any of my cousins have it, but I know none of my siblings, their kids or grandkids have it.

Well girls, time to get breakfast, take meds and get the day started. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #2  

Good Morning! It's a sunny, breezy morning and supposed to be a hot 87 degrees this afternoon. Crazy! We are waiting for Beth to get here and we are heading to the cabin to clean and get it ready for the summer. It seems like we just closed it for the winter.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about your little table! What a surprise and a nuisance to boot! I use my squirrel food bucket by my chair; it's just big enough for a cup, the remote, and the phone. You might want to do some measuring if and when you have to replace your washer and dryer. My new machines are each 2" narrower than my old machines. Bob measured thinking he might have to take the basement door off. I feel for Kelly after the short lived episode I had this winter. It's a mystery for sure.

I need to get dressed so I'm ready to go when Beth gets here. Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 05-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Heading for 70 degrees this day and overcast. It's supposed to be 90 on Friday.

Nothing happening today.

Faye, I feel bad for Kelly. I've been broken out in hives for the last 10 days and they are so itchy. I went to the doc yesterday and he thinks its allergy related. I'm allergic to trees and grass and both are rampant now. I'm going to go the allergy doc on Friday and get tested again. Sorry about the mess from your table breaking. I have 2 end tables by my chair - one for me and one for Casper. He's not spoiled!

Jean, I'd like to get a front loader next time. I don't see why they would have to be on a cement floor but I'll check it out. Seems to me they would have to tell you before you bought it. I actually want a smaller washer and drier, but I hope the ones I have last a lot longer!

Maggie, migraine = big hurt. So sorry you are afflicted with them. Glory has them so bad I've had to take her to the ER because she couldn't stop vomiting. She's on some prescription stuff now that has helped a lot. I have storage containers shaped like tomato, green pepper, onion, garlic, celery, lettuce, and lemon. I love them because they close tightly but I can tell what's in them without having to open a bunch of containers.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #4  

Good morning to you gals. It didn't cool off a whole lot last night so upstairs and downstairs fans and ac units ran last night. Hey, it has moved into summer and I am all for that so I can't complain about it getting hot!

Sat and paid all the bills, ordered Jackson's soccer goal and a cute Lego movie tshirt for him and had them shipped, (mom said to just ship them and it was ok for him to get an early birthday surprise so I did,) ordered a bunch of the Joy Mangano flocked hangers, which I love and had them shipped to me,worked on the mitten some already this morning and am going to use the other skein and make her a scarf to go with the hat and mittens. I already picked out an old style feather and fan pattern with no purling, which I love.

I love the hangers I bought as I have a lot of them already. They are very thin so they can break easier, but you can put more clothing in your closet on them, they hold my stuff on instead of it falling off too. We take a bunch with us on the cruise because they never have enough hangers and they use the big clunky wooden ones anyway so you can't get all your clothes in the teeny tiny clothes closet if you had enough to hang all your clothes up. They end up being just a little under a $1 apiece, but well worth it. I bought 48, 24 shirt style and 24 pants style. I finally convinced Jack to start using them instead of the big fat plastic ones. I need to look at Target to see if they have the suit hangers of the same brand as they showed them online as only being in stores.

I have officially started my vacation list. We have 4 months to go! Right now my list consists of things to do, ie take suit and tux and shirts to cleaners, stop mail, etc, things that need to be done before we leave. Also, things I need to buy like more Lysol spray, more Bonine for my motion sickness, more of the footies I bought for Jack and black and colored dress socks he says he needs. I am waiting for the reservations for specialty restaurants to open up so I can reserve us a table at the steak house on the ship. It is our little gift to our friends.

My friend who is cruising with us sent me the cutest Mother's Day card. I just thought it was so sweet for her to think of me that way.

Do any of you have one of the portable style induction cooktops? We are thinking of buying a couple as they expend a lot less heat and energy we are told. I don't want a full stove with one, but would like to get some of the more portable style. I won't get them for awhile yet though as I have no place to store them. Right now my new blender, waffle iron and griddle are sitting on the dining room table as I have no where to put them. They sure didn't think about storage when they built these condos.

Jean: I am sure when we have to buy new washer and dryer we will measure first anyway. We want to get a new French door refrigerator when we renovate and it is going to be a tight fit no matter what we get. There is 35 inches of room the wall and cabinet and most of them are 37" and above. Jack really wants a bottom drawer freezer and double door fridge so we shall see when the time comes.

Susan: I can tell the tree pollen is really high around here. Like I said when I cleaned up stuff over the weekend, I came in sneezing, runny nose and itchy hands. Hope your hives clear up soon. I know they can be miserable. Kelly's disease can be quite horrible. It is called Epidermolysis bullosa Acquisita and at it's worse her skin peels right off and is very, very painful.

Guess I should get the day started. I want to clean upstairs today and get it done before it gets too hot. Have a great one today. Faye
Old 05-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #5  

Good Morning! The sun is trying hard to peek out through the clouds. I'm hoping the wind will blow the storm clouds on by this afternoon. I made a grocery run for fresh veggies and fruit for lunch then stopped by the Hallmark store. There was a delicious smelling candle calling my name on my way out. It was tempting but I managed to keep on going. "Little Momma Kitty" is spending more 'n more time camped out on the deck. Sonny is just goofy over her.

Susan -- I hope you aren't allergic to Casper! When Bob had the hives, he didn't show a reaction to any of the allergy tests. The doctor told him to take generic Claritin if or when he would notice the beginning of a hive. So far, so good. I had to at Casper having his own table by your chair. I don't think my new washer and dryer vibrate any more than my old ones. I don't use the high spin though, as our clothes,etc., aren't that heavy.

"Gma" -- It hit 88 here yesterday and it was warm upstairs when I went up to bed. Guess I'd better dust my bedroom ceiling fan off before I start it again. I agree there never seems to be enough hangers wherever we stay. I didn't know there was a portable induction cooktop. Interesting. I really, really like my bottom freezer. We goofed and only allowed enough space in the cupboards for the fridge we had, so have to stick to that size unless I want to cut my cupboards down in size. Live and learn!

I need to clean strawberries so better get to them. Hope you all have a terrific Thursday!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday and Nice

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is a beautiful day today in the high 70 degree area and all is well.

We were out and about yesterday and the temp on the sign was 105˚s which makes me wonder where Spring went. It must have come and gone in a second of time which I must have missed. At least the wind wasn’t blowing so I am thankful for that at least. Hopefully today will be as nice as it was then. My “head” didn’t let me sleep well last night. It didn’t hurt but was very busy. I finally got back to sleep after waking up in the night for a couple of hours though for it was too early to “get up.”

There is a trick thing that we are going to buy which is called a “CanCooker” which comes in a 2 gallon capacity and a 4 gallon. We, of course, want the smaller version since there are just the two of us. It is designed to cook abundant, great tasting food fast, on any heat source. It works like convection cooking which produces deep penetrating steam that cooks food to perfection. The local archery store sells them but if you want to take a peek at what I am talking about you can go to the cooker web site which is www.cancooker.com. It will be a wonderful item to take along when camping. When my payday comes around I will get one for sure.

JEAN OH you are strong. How could you NOT buy that candle.

DONNA FAYE Are the red buds blooming. They are so pretty ~ so very pretty.

SUSAN Veggies last so much longer in those plastic containers. The ones I have work great. A cut onion one doesn't let the odor escape out of the container.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 05-10-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #7  

I whimped out and came to the car with half of Maddy's soccer game left to play. When we left home it was 80 degrees and quite humid. It's now 57 degrees with a 25 mph wind. I at least wore jeans and had my nylon jacket plus wrapped up two blankets from the car. Kolby's game was first; we sat with our back to the wind which wasn't as bad. I gave Kolby my blankets when I gave up. Bob is snuggled up in a padded nylon stadium blanket so will stick it out. There are some adults here in shorts and sandals . . . . turning blue I might add! I wonder if this is the beginning of our crazy summer weather. We have been in a storm watch all afternoon but think we must just be getting the wind part.

Maggie -- I hope you sleep good tonight! I know what you meant when you said your head was busy. It seems like the harder I try to fall asleep, the wider awake I am. You find the most interesting gadgets to cook with! Let us know how you like the can cooker. I have way too many candles now! I'm still thinking about going back and getting it though; it's the flavor of the month so "on sale."
Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #8  

Happy Friday! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's a spring jacket kind of day. I ran a couple errands this morning and caught up on some ironing. Today is my "mom's" 88th birthday and we are invited to my "sister's" for supper. We usually get together on Saturday but they have a wedding tomorrow. I kid my "mom" that it's too bad her birthday and Mother's Day are so close together. Bob will be home for lunch in a few minutes so I need to get a salad put together. Enjoy your day today!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #9  

Good afternoon gals. I have to head out in about 45 minutes to go get Jack from work. I kept the car today to do some things.

I signed up for a beginner bead class, which is way down in midtown, in other words on the other side of town from where I live. It is in a really dicey part of town too and her shop has no ac so it should be nice and steamy a week from tomorrow during the class. I also had to buy the stuff to make the necklace and that cost me another $40 so after the discount it still cost me $60! I don't plan on taking anymore though she said I would fall in love with it and want to do more. I am only taking it so I can learn what I need to restring the necklace I bought in Jamaica for Kelly that tore all apart. She said after the first class I could easily do it. I bought enough stringing wire to make the new one and restring hers. Her beads are really really tiny and will take a long time I imagine. I bought orange beads and these vintage green white and orange glass beads from India, some copper medallions that have dragons on them and then some finishing beads in copper. I think she was surprised how well I could pick out color combinations because she said most people just come in and pick out a bunch of stuff because they like it, but it doesn't go together but that I have an "eye" for it.

I also got my nail and toenails done, did a bit of shopping at Walmarts, went to the post office and dropped of the package of stuff for my bff's bday next week and picked up a container of chili from Wendys. 7 pts and I love to put lots of hot sauce in it with some crackers.

I got my shoe thingy to take on the cruise to hang on the door and put hygiene and meds stuff in. I think it will do great. It has three hooks on the top so it will hang well and hold weight.

Jean: Your weather is still all over the place. It is in the mid 70's here right now but it is incredibly humid. I was sweating up a storm in the bead shop. Did he win his game last night? Thomas had his band banquet last night and won for the third year in a row their Most Outstanding award. I just wish they wouldn't grow up so fast.

Well gals, you all have a nice weekend. We have commissary shopping this weekend whooppeee! Faye
Old 05-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

This is one of those days when I am sneezing and having a runny nose. The cotton wood trees are distributing all their seeds into the air and the breeze brings them whirling around. I guess that is what I am allergic to but this will pass. They say we will be having a 73˚ day and I will find out if that is a fact when we go out and about in a bit.

Last evening we had a yummy dinner. What I did was mix a packet of dry onion soup with 2 ½ pounds of lean hamburger and made patties. We have some for later in the freezer now. I served them with asparagus and some of my rice mix. Fresh cut strawberries are so good with some Splinda® and Balsamic vinegar on them. Tonight we are grilling pork chops and having them with green beans and potato salad.

Well we are back from town and the temp is 85˚ with a nice breeze. We found a couple packs of extra lean burger patties, 8 in all that I now have in the freezer. Another day we will be enjoying a good burger done on the Barbie.

DONNA FAYE What fun! A beading class which you will probably just love. How neat that you will be able to put your daughters beading back for her.

JEAN Did you go back and get that candle. I imagine it smells so good. We sure like the ones that we have.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-10-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #11  

Good Morning! Doesn't look like it's going to be a sunny day in my neighborhood today. We had the 10:00 news and weather on last night, but must admit I wasn't paying attention. We had a nice visit with my family yesterday afternoon. They live in a woodsy area by a creek, and have all different kinds of birds including eagles. It's relaxing to just sit and watch the wild life. The squirrels and bunnies give their dog his exercise.

"Gma" -- The bead class sounds like fun! I bet you will find more that you like and can create some unique pieces after you fix Kelly's necklace. You were on the move yesterday! Kolby's team hasn't won a game yet. His head coach manages a Red Robin restaurant so their practices have been limited and he misses a lot of the games. The assistant is really good, played soccer himself and has two older boys who play now. He makes it to the games but for some reason doesn't set up practices for the boys. Beth is the assistant for Maddy and they have at least one practice a week after the games start, and several before the season starts. There is a traveling team for Maddy's age, and they travel all over the Midwest for weekend games. I think I am finally thawed out from Thursday night. Congratulate Thomas on his band award!

Maggie -- Your weather is confused just like our's! I'm not ready for 90 degree days but a bit warmer would be nice. I haven't been back to see if the candle is still there. I need to pick up my jacket at the cleaners so I have it for church tomorrow. When I took it in, to have the sleeves shortened, I picked up my winter jacket to the tune of $15 for cleaning. My car gets so dirty and I brush up against it in the garage even though I try to be careful. Every time I pay for something, it seems like the cost went up.

I hear Bob moving around so will get the coffee going. Hope you all enjoy a nice Saturday, with sunshine!

Last edited by Jean; 05-10-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

It was 89˚ when we were out and about today. Thank goodness we have a good air condition unit in the Jeep. We enjoyed driving about town and in the country seeing what beautiful trees that have bloomed colorful flowers and vibrant leaves.

We are planning on getting the MH out from its storage place and parking it out front so we can load the things we have so far bought for it. It will be fun to see what we have and where it will have a home. In my mind’s eye I know pretty much what goes were though. I still have a few necessities to get to have out there but they will be bought eventually. Types of things to replace some of the items I have that are too big to put in the MH. There are several things I want to order from the Lehman’s ® catalogue. They have lots of neat things that don’t use electricity. I have a non electric drip coffee maker that makes excellent coffee from them. They have a square galvanized wash tub that will be great to wash the dogs in when we are out and about not near a groomer and they have gotten into something or other and need a bath. I can use that tub for hand washing also with one of those neat plungers that are made for that. They even sell LP gas refrigerators. Anyway they are a good source for non electric needful things. When the lights go out we have most things covered for we camp at times in places where there is no electricity provided. By the time we take our vacation in September we should be set up quite comfortably.

JEAN I imagine your family loves living there ~ I know I would. What fun to have those eagles close.

Time for me to get off this computer and get some dinner fixed.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #13  

Happy Mother's Day, ladies! Going to be in the middle 80s this day.

Yesterday was tea and that is always a good time.

Faye, I have taken some beading classes and it is addictive! My friend makes beautiful beaded items and teaches at the bead shop. We have several of them on the Peninsula and people really seem to love to do it.

Jean, I like to sit and watch the birds that are in the wetlands behind my house. We also have rabbits, possums, raccoons, and deer. The only bird I don't like is the seagull. They poop all over everything and make a huge mess.

Maggie, I know you are having the best time getting the things for the MH. I don't want your high temperatures!

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #14  

Happy Sunday and Mother's Day to all of you! We drove to and from church in the rain but the sun is peeking out now. The weatherman said rain and wind today and tomorrow. We have at least two new "residents" under our deck -- a momma mouse and a baby mouse. They kept Ernie and Sonny entertained all yesterday afternoon. Bob made a little trough for the squirrel food, and the squirrels aren't neat when they get in a hurry. The mice would scamper over to pick up a kernel of corn and run back to their hole with it. We need to figure out some sort of plan to get rid of them. The two tom cats haven't been around for a few days, or they could do the job for us.

Maggie -- I know you are having fun shopping for motor home items! Do you know where you will go in September, or do you just head out and wherever you end up is ok?

Susan -- We have pelicans stop here on their way north and they are always fun to watch. I don't know about the sea gulls but the geese sure make a mess! The walking path, along the lake, can be a challenge when the goslings are mobile. The parents can get mean and will chase people if they get too close.

"Gma" -- Hope your trip to the commissary was quick and easy today. Not a fun way to spend Mother's Day but guess you have to eat!

Bob said dinner will be carry-out chicken dinners. Sounds good to me! Hope you all enjoy a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 05-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #15  

Good morning to you ladies. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day yesterday. We of course went to the commissary, but at least it didn't rain. It is hot and sticky here already this season so looks like it is going to be above normal temps just like it was below normal for winter temps this year.

Jay called yesterday morning and said Jackson got a goal at the end of the game on Saturday. He says he is struggling, but that is because most of the kids already have 2 years of soccer under their belt and this is Jackson's first year. I am hoping his soccer goal will help him practice at home. It should get there today so I hope he likes it. I didn't want to send it yet as his birthday is still a month away, but she said to go ahead and do it as he will love the early surprise so I did. His shirt will be there this week and his watch comes today and hopefully his gift card so I can send them both out later.

Kelly and I are going to have lunch on Wednesday for Mother's Day. The triathlon is this weekend for the guys so she is going to be busy as am I because of the bead class. I just hope it isn't too hot and humid on Saturday as this place doesn't have AC and it could be pretty miserable if it is.
I need a bigger fridge!! I bought a bunch of produce and have no where to stick it. My fridge is stuffed. Truth is though, we can only get one a bit bigger unless we can find one that is deeper. It would sit out into the kitchen more though so who knows. I am just going to have to deal with it the way it is for awhile yet.

Jack has lost a total of 13 lbs now! He only has 9 to go to be at goal. I only lost half lb this week, but then I had a hypoglycemic episode at the store yesterday and bought and ate chocolate to bring it back up so it doesn't surprise me. It will even out this week and I will lose more. I go back into see her and I am going to talk to her about whether I really need the insulin anymore. I took it a couple hours before we went shopping and had eggos and sf syrup for breakfast before we went.

Susan: I just wish there were a couple more bead shops so I could pay less. I saw a couple in Nashville that charge $20 a class and that includes supplies and like I said before I paid $25 and had to buy all my supplies. Once I have the basic info, I can do online stuff. I have a place I buy my necklaces and earrings that is actually a huge online beading place and I can get everything I need there and they have online classes too to learn other techniques and the stuff is much cheaper.

Jean: If you didn't live so far away I would invite you to go with me! It is always a lot more fun going with a friend I think. We had Canadian snow geese when we lived in Indiana and yuck is all I can say about the mess they made on the bank. We had a little lake behind our apartment and they would come all year long and the stuff was awful. Jay said Jackson wasn't as jazzed as Jay was about the goal because they lost the game.

Maggie: Hope everything fits nicely in the MH. I have to nix buying anymore gadgets until we can get the flooring in the dining room and I can buy shelving and stuff to make it a big pantry. I just have no storage for stuff.

Everyone have a great day. Faye