General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #1  
She's A Firecracker!

S/C/G: SW:267/ CW:200/ GW:130

Height: 5'2

Default Afraid of the gym?

I've noticed some people don't like going to the gym because they feel they are being judged, I get that. The thing I don't get is; That's the whole purpose of the gym! To get slimed down and for you to have access to the equipment to improve your body. I never understood people who made fun of others at the gym! It's so despicable! I just started going to the Y like a day ago. So far so good, and I actually felt confident going in there and hauling *** on the elliptical right beside the skinnies (I even got into a bit of competition with one of them XD) I guess it's because I conditioned myself beforehand because I used to be afraid to run out in public but then I thought **** it, I have goals that need to be accomplished in spite of what anyone has to say, and people would actually support me out on the streets. So what's holding anyone back from going?
LittleMissWarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #2  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

A big thing for me is that I still live in the town I grew up in - - I dread running into old classmates and having them see the new "bigger" me. My 10 year highschool reunion is next year and I'd rather have them see me and be like "WOW! she looks great!" than "WOW! What the he!! happened to her??"
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not afraid of the gym. I don't go because it's boring as heck. You can't get me on a treadmill or an elliptical if you paid me money. I'd enjoy a class, but sitting on a machine? No thanks. I'd rather be outside getting fresh air, going to a dance class, going on a hike, playing with my kid on the playground, playing tennis at the court. I like to do activities that engage my mind completely. I don't want to be thinking about lunch or a work meeting. I want to focus on a task, not be on a hamster wheel. A lot of people don't go to the gym because of this reason.

As for being scared, the people you speak of would be scared of any social workout situation, not just the gym. Exercising means overcoming certain kinds of fears. Some people are not there yet, they need encouragement and will overcome their fears to get to their next level.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Even when I know it's not logical, as I've never personally experienced being judged at the gym, it's still a mental hurdle I've had to work past. I go to the gym and feel comfortable doing certain things now, but I'm still not confident in other aspects (some weight machines, free weights). But that goes along with being overweight my whole life, being teased as a child, etc. It's the mental battle that I have to fight along with the weight loss, ya know?

Of course, since I've had such a good and encouraging experience at both gyms I go to, I push others around me who are at all hesitant about the gym. But I still have that little nagging voice in the back of my head that everyone is secretly staring at me and judging, even when I know it's not true.

Wannabeskinny - I hate the gym too and would rather be outside doing fun things, but winter happens, and rain happens! So I've found ways to make the gym fun, instead of being lazy each winter and making weather-related excuses.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post

Wannabeskinny - I hate the gym too and would rather be outside doing fun things, but winter happens, and rain happens! So I've found ways to make the gym fun, instead of being lazy each winter and making weather-related excuses.
Concessions always have to be made for weather. If it's only a light rain then I'm out there. If it's above 35degrees then I'm out there. If it's snowing, hard rain or below 35 then I'm indoors for sure lol. I work out at home. I was also enrolled in a dance class all winter. Weather also does not prevent me from walking to the market everyday or getting around for work and being active.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I prefer to exercise at home. I realize not everyone has room for a lot of exercise equipment. But here are the benefits IMO.

1) By the time I got ready and drove to the gym, I could be halfway done with my routine.
2) I am in control of what show is on the TV or music being played.
3) I don't have to wait for someone to finish with a piece of equipment
4) I don't have someone watching me, waiting for me to finish with a piece of equipment.
5) I don't have to worry about someone leaving their sweat all over the equipment.
6) I don't have to worry about how I look
7) I don't have to worry about others judging me.
8) When I'm finished, I'm already home.

There is a drawback that might affect some....it's much harder to get yourself motivated. But if you can overcome that, it's very beneficial.

I exercise while watching my soaps. I'm going to be watching them anyway, so why not exercise instead of sitting in my recliner?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-08-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Nothing, but the gym is conveniently equidistant between my boyfriend's apartment (~3 miles away) and my apartment - it's on my way home! If it weren't, I don't know how often I would go.

Convenience is the biggest factor in my regular gymgoing, by a long shot.

Last edited by krampus; 05-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I have an issue with getting to the gym once I haven't gone for awhile. Once I overcome it, I am completely fine. I just put headphones on and jam out. I don't like to be outside by myself, because I feel like I have no direction in what I am doing. Not to mention that it's already 10,000 degrees where I live. Plus, I really love weightlifting. I don't have room for four different types of cardio machines and weights at my house. I use just about everything so I don't get bored. Sometimes the meatheads can be a little intimidating, though. You do sometimes wonder if they are mentally picking you apart...
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #9  
Cereal Dieter

S/C/G: 220.5/220.5/170

Height: 5'2"

I totally relate to the exercising in public thing! For me, it's fear of public failure...happy to fail all day long if no one sees me do it. So many people who have it all "together" seem to do everything with such ease, so it's really intimidating to me to have people see me struggle. And I really struggle with exercise!

I don't think people necessarily judge me (what can they think - that I'm addressing a problem and trying to fix it? Judge away!)...

For me, it's all in my own head. (It's also in my panting, my sweating, my groaning...)
Visionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #10  

I haven't been to the gym in a few years I think. I try to run outside as much as possible. As long as its like 40 degrees, and not down pouring or storming, I'll run out side. Otherwise I own a treadmill as back up. But I try to always get outside only because I just like it better. We have a pool so in the summer that's another thing I can do. I have weights at home, but honestly lately I've been wanting the variety of the gym, and to be able to get out of the house. Tomorrow morning I'm going with a friend to the gym and I'm thinking of joining in the near future. I'm usually up at 4am to exercise, but I don't run 7 days a week, so I would like to go to the gym a few days for strength training only.

I will be honest that it did cross my mind that tomorrow when I go to the gym, I would be "around " people. lol...When I first got back to running I was embarrassed to go outside, now I don't care for the most part. But I'm nervous about using the weight machines at the gym because its been years and I kind of forget...Im probably going to look clueless! But I'll either ask for help or figure it out...its not going to keep me from going.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #11  

Quote:
I hate the gym too and would rather be outside doing fun things, but winter happens, and rain happens! So I've found ways to make the gym fun, instead of being lazy each winter and making weather-related excuses.
+1

I'm not a fan of the treadmill, but if I don't use it over the winter, I struggle not being in good shape to run in the spring. This happened to me last time I was running, before my last baby. I didn't "like" the tm and avoided it, and guess what? Put a some pounds and had a decrease in my fitness level and was set back when spring rolled around. I learned from that mistake and will not be repeating it again. Sometimes you gotta do what you don't like to get what you want. And I want to run.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

GlamourGirl827 I couldn't have said it better!!! I slacked this winter, and when I went on my first big hike of the year I deeply regretted it. I've got to do more than just an occasional walk in the snow over the winter. I really have to keep going hard all year long. So I just do my workouts while daydreaming about the mountains or paddling in the canoe...makes it worth it for sure.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #13  

Quote:
GlamourGirl827 I couldn't have said it better!!! I slacked this winter, and when I went on my first big hike of the year I deeply regretted it. I've got to do more than just an occasional walk in the snow over the winter. I really have to keep going hard all year long. So I just do my workouts while daydreaming about the mountains or paddling in the canoe...makes it worth it for sure.

Omg me too! I'm on the tm imagining being outside...I imagine being in some famous marathon or something, which is funny because I'm not running a marathon distance on there, but boy it sure feels like it some days! I want a strong healthy body, and sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, and later you get the rewards of the work.

I just replied to another thread about this. About doing stuff you don't want to do to get the rewards...its on the main board, "why people hating on exercise."... Its like school. Some classes suck some are awesome, but you have to do them all if you want your degree!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #14  
Warrior Princess

I'm a music fanatic so gym time is when I get to check out new albums on my ipod. Makes time go super fast and before I know it, I'm done. I love running too so I need a treadmill in the winter. I like zoning the world out.

I was a little worried about being in a gym at first but got over it quickly. I don't like crowds.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

If i was struggling with exercise because of a fear of others judging me, i would definitley choose to exercise out of sight. I'm not really afraid of being seen in public but i wasn't in a hurry to get started on exercise this time so what i did was just do little tiny bursts of individual exercises throughout the day.

eg.
5 squats when i got off the loo. And then i lean against the washing machine and do 5 pushups against it.

When i'm in my workroom where there's a large floor space i do 5 pilates steel sit-ups. I don't know the name but you start with bended needs and only lift your head and chest with hands behind your head.

then i turn over and do five shoulder lives with hands by the sides.

and i found another good one for the tummy which is bicycle peddling with your legs not that far off the ground, if you can figure out what i might mean by that.

Anyway get a book from the library or look at images or tutorials on the web for ideas.

I do my exercises at no fixed time through out the day. This was such an easy way to start and completely no pressure.

it helped warm me up for more and i've just started my easy running program but you could do an easy walking program.

i think finding a guided program to follow makes it easy and is motivating.

All that said, the gym holds no attraction for me whatsoever. I find the appearance of the places unappealing. My dad has built a gym here at home and i find it really dull so i don't use it.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote