S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Maintainers Vol 14

Time for a new thread!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #2  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Thanks. Happy Monday everyone. I made safron cauliflower rice and it was amazing!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

LOVE that cauliflower rice!! Mmmmmm!!

I also make Curried Cauliflower Soup (great in winter or summer):
cook cauliflower until super soft; put in blender with a bit of almond milk, coconut extract, curry powder, salt, pepper and a bit of Splenda (adjust all spices to taste - I actually add a little cayenne too as I like it spicy!). Blend and add additional almond milk to achieve desired thickness or thinness (I like mine on the thick side for a lush and creamy comfort-food style!) Heat and eat!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #4  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Happy Monday all! I have started to use my Fitbit now to track my food - it takes some getting use to but it's comprehensive enough that I'm finding it really helps keep me honest - and it's on my iPhone so no excuse not to track! What's interesting though is that it's tracking all my carbs in veggies so even my low carb/high fat meal (salads with dry tuna/HB egg, parmesan cheese added to broccoli, arugula, cucumbers, raw mushrooms, onions and EVOO) are showing up more carbs than fats, eek! My coach was like, ah, don't worry about that (umm, really?) So I'm wondering how the heck you track that? She also told me that chewing gum, even sugar free, starts the pancreas up and it releases insulin which makes your store fat??? Any body know anything about these subjects so I can get educated? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #5  

Hey all. Been slammed the past week with a variety of things work and home related so I haven't been on much. How is everyone?

I have not tried cauliflower rice but it sounds wonderful. I love roasted cauliflower. One of my favs!

Coming down with a heck of a cold for the second time in a month but it seems this one is worse than the first round. Looks like I may be spending some time in bed tomorrow and when I get off work tonight.

ecdcslim I chew gum occasionally and use Spry which is one of the approved gums in phase 1. Haven't noticed any problems with using. Also, I will have an occasional piece of bubble gum and it hasn't been a problem either but it is rare so I am not sure I have much to offer in terms of advice.

I have never counted calories, etc. in maintenance so I can't comment on that either. I just do phase 3bfasts, and phase 1 lunches and dinners for the most part, with the exception of fun meals here and there.

I will say that everyone seems to find a rhythm after while and what works for some does not work for others. Don't be afraid to try things and experiment.

Hoping you all are well and having a great Monday!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #6  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post

cook cauliflower until super soft; put in blender with a bit of almond milk, coconut extract, curry powder, salt, pepper and a bit of Splenda (adjust all spices to taste - I actually add a little cayenne too as I like it spicy!). Blend and add additional almond milk to achieve desired thickness or thinness (I like mine on the thick side for a lush and creamy comfort-food style!) Heat and eat!
JLUS: I was never big on spicy food but I LOVE it now! I think I am really tasting my food now because I'm not eating a bunch of processed garbage anymore. I also love almond milk! I use it on my cereal and many of my paleo recipes call for it. It is so good on KIND granola.

I find I like making all my own spice mixtures now, as I really don't like to use much that is premixed (fearing preservatives, etc.) I never thought I would have giant containers of chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, etc. in my cupboard. lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #7  

I am a big spice lover and even more these days since I rely so little on processed foods that are over salted and over fatted! Spices make everything just a little better... Even chocolate!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #8  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Quote:

This sounds delish! Thanks for sharing... What type of almond milk do you use? I haven't tried almond milk yet.

Today was a p1 day for me after some fun meals this weekend. It wasn't all that hard, feels still very 'normal' but I was hungrier than I remember being on p1. (Which makes sense) All in all, very do-able. Yay maintenance!

And it was beautiful so I've been getting in my walks. Sadly I heard the words "conversational snow" on the weather forecast for Wednesday. What?!?

Happy Monday maintainers.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
Happy Monday all! I have started to use my Fitbit now to track my food - it takes some getting use to but it's comprehensive enough that I'm finding it really helps keep me honest - and it's on my iPhone so no excuse not to track! What's interesting though is that it's tracking all my carbs in veggies so even my low carb/high fat meal (salads with dry tuna/HB egg, parmesan cheese added to broccoli, arugula, cucumbers, raw mushrooms, onions and EVOO) are showing up more carbs than fats, eek! My coach was like, ah, don't worry about that (umm, really?) So I'm wondering how the heck you track that? She also told me that chewing gum, even sugar free, starts the pancreas up and it releases insulin which makes your store fat??? Any body know anything about these subjects so I can get educated? Thanks.
Hi ecdc: I don't worry about the low carb higher fat meals either - it's just too difficult to get the ratio of 1:3 carb:fat grams - I aim for at least 1:1 if not 1:2 but that takes a lot of avocado & full fat cheese, lol. Seems to be working fine for me, I've been maintaining at 21% bf and 131-3 lbs for 6 weeks or so. Those are pretty low carb veg you are using for lunch so I doubt you will have a problem. I track on MyFitnessPal and do calories (just for my info) and carb, fat, protein, fibre and sugar grams.
My carb grams are quite high compared to a lot of IP maintainers but I have never been insulin resistant and haven't had a prob with veggie & fruit carbs. My biggie (how I gained 31 lbs over 4 years) was lack of exercise combined with tortilla chips with lots of cheese at night. Not goin' there anymore! A bag of Old Dutch or Tostitos Blue Corn tortilla chips lasts my hubby & I a week and a half now. Used to be done in one night.
Liana
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
This sounds delish! Thanks for sharing... What type of almond milk do you use? I haven't tried almond milk yet.

Happy Monday maintainers.
I have been using Blue Diamond Unsweetened plain or vanilla. I like that they sell small containers because I don't normally use a lot at a time so it keeps long enough for the small amounts I use (coffee, cereal occasionally, etc)

I am doing a "quick" 6 week P1 right now to get off a few more lbs before summer so no almond milk right now! Last summer I was P1 and this summer I want to be able to add some fresh fruit, so hoping for a 5-10 lb loss before I stop and maintain again.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #11  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Quote:
I have been using Blue Diamond Unsweetened plain or vanilla. I like that they sell small containers because I don't normally use a lot at a time so it keeps long enough for the small amounts I use (coffee, cereal occasionally, etc)

I am doing a "quick" 6 week P1 right now to get off a few more lbs before summer so no almond milk right now! Last summer I was P1 and this summer I want to be able to add some fresh fruit, so hoping for a 5-10 lb loss before I stop and maintain again.
Thanks Laurie. I thought the same about those containers of almond milk... A lot if I don't like it. I'll look for the smaller ones.

Good luck with your P1. I didn't know I cared about fruit so much but adding them in for phase 3 was great
Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #12  
Maile

Laurie: Thanks for that soup recipe. It looks excellent. I am a huge fan of spices and have a cupboard full of them. That is a good idea to P1 and get low enough to enjoy summer. I love fresh strawberries and am waiting for them.

Vachinyc: Snow again? We had a 29 degree morning and it was cold.Good job on getting those walks in. P1 is an amazing tool for maintenance.

Dakills: My love of spicy foods has also increased. I also make my own spice mixtures as I do not like the added salt in even spices like curry.

Ecdslim: I do not track calories or carbs, If the carbs are from vegetables, they should be healthy. Hope you find what works for you. I do not chew gum.

Eandc: You eat like I do..lots of P3 breakfasts and p1 lunches and dinners..with occasional added foods.

New discovery: you can make coconut shrimp low carb low fat. Dip the shrimp in coconut flour, then in egg beaters then, in coconut flakes. Bake until toasty and done.

My son is here and is a gourmet cook who is experimenting with lots of low carb cooking. Too fun.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #13  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Laurie: Thanks for that soup recipe. It looks excellent. I am a huge fan of spices and have a cupboard full of them. That is a good idea to P1 and get low enough to enjoy summer. I love fresh strawberries and am waiting for them.

Vachinyc: Snow again? We had a 29 degree morning and it was cold.Good job on getting those walks in. P1 is an amazing tool for maintenance.

Dakills: My love of spicy foods has also increased. I also make my own spice mixtures as I do not like the added salt in even spices like curry.

Ecdslim: I do not track calories or carbs, If the carbs are from vegetables, they should be healthy. Hope you find what works for you. I do not chew gum.

Eandc: You eat like I do..lots of P3 breakfasts and p1 lunches and dinners..with occasional added foods.

New discovery: you can make coconut shrimp low carb low fat. Dip the shrimp in coconut flour, then in egg beaters then, in coconut flakes. Bake until toasty and done.

My son is here and is a gourmet cook who is experimenting with lots of low carb cooking. Too fun.
Oh yummy! I must try the coconut shrimp. That sounds so good.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post

So nice to have your son visiting and creating fun recipes together. I wish I had a gourmet cook in my family! Enjoy your time with him and all the delish, healthy foods!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #15  
Maile

Thanks for your support. Yes, it is fun to have someone who loves to cook and try new recipes. I am learning from him..Of course, I am a follow the recipe type of person, and he is a no measure and make up the recipe type.

Have a great Easter everyone. I am going to try a Middle Eastern cauliflower coucous recipe.

I am right in the low end of my range and am happy with the scale.

I just read that if you keep it off for 5 years, only 27 percent of the people gain their weight back.

Here is a fairly good article..14 Habits of People who have healthy relationships with food.

I agree with most of them except the one about not eating with the scale in mind.

http://goo.gl/idxGEZ

Last edited by Maile; 04-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Closed Thread