Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/248/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing lbs, but not inches?

Hey everyone. Has anyone had an experience where the scale is going down, but your measurements are not? This has been my case the past 2 weeks. My scale is going down fairly steadily, but my measurements either didn't move, or only a tiny bit. I know if I was gaining muscle my measurements would be declining and my weight might stay the same, but not sure what the cause of the opposite would be? Any suggestions/tips/experience? Thanks!!
booklover811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover811 View Post
Hey everyone. Has anyone had an experience where the scale is going down, but your measurements are not? This has been my case the past 2 weeks. My scale is going down fairly steadily, but my measurements either didn't move, or only a tiny bit. I know if I was gaining muscle my measurements would be declining and my weight might stay the same, but not sure what the cause of the opposite would be? Any suggestions/tips/experience? Thanks!!
Hi booklover...(what is your fav genre??!) ...

As far as inches...it took a while before the inches/measurements and size caught up with my lbs lost...but some weeks after I had made significant progress with total weight loss... that loss slowed down...and the measurements were the big thing! It was dramatic...and size changed rapidly once that started happening. Be patient. Your body will do what it does...and we are all different. Just add this tidbit to your knowledge base: After the fat is gone the cells hold some water for a while. The measurements do change once that water is finally let go....it is a process...and a lot of it we really do not understand or see as a linear happening.

Everyone is different. You will learn a lot about your own body and how it responds, gauging hunger and be tested with developing more patience than you thought possible on this journey. You can do it....!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #3  

65x65 - I have a lot of favorite genres! I like to read almost anything. My current obsession is the Divergent Series. I've read it before, but am reading it again because I loved it so much

Thank you for that info! That makes a lot of sense. I was feeling a bit discouraged because even though I've lost just over 25lbs, I'm still wearing the same pants as when I started! (Granted they are much looser) I thought after 25 lbs I would be in all new clothes! It's great seeing the scale go down though and I will keep going and hopefully the inches will come off soon too!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #4  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover811 View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I've lost 14ish pounds (WI tomorrow, according to my scale at home it's closer to 17), but practically nothing in inches. My clinic only measures four spots though (arm, chest, hips, thigh), and I have noticed I look slimmer in other areas that they don't measure. My face looks thinner and I've noticed I have less of a "fat hump" if you want to call it that at the base of my neck. So you may be losing inches, but it's hard to measure every spot. Also, I don't know if someone else is measuring you or if you do it yourself, but my coach said there's so much human error in the measurements, or it could be your clothes or bra or whatever that you really shouldn't invest too much in just the inches. You have to consider your progress as a whole, meaning take into consideration your weight, inches and energy levels etc. Keep us posted on how you progress though, I'm just waiting for the week where I lose nothing on the scale and a bunch of inches (hopefully!!).
pishposhappelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

The other thing to remember is that we lose internal fat, all that stuff around our organs, etc. So you may be losing fat that isn't necessarily showing up on the measurements.

Hang in there, the inches do come off - not usually in the places we want most, but they do come off. It seemed like forever before I started losing around my abdomen and hips but all the sudden I started zooming through pants - I think I missed a couple of sizes totally.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Have you also tried on a pair of pants one size down? My pants fit though lose and I figured I wasn't ready for the next size yet, but when I tried them on I could easily fit in them even though my others were still "wearable"!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone. I did try on a smaller pair of pants and they are pretty tight. That was about a week ago though, so I'll try again tonight. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and if the lbs. are coming off then I'm assuming the inches will follow eventually!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

I try really hard to focus on the long term rather than the week to week measurements and weight loss. Sure I am excited to see the numbers drop when I get weighed and measured but I also work hard not to feel badly when my waist measure goes from 35.5 to 36. I know that that half inch could be what I ate or drank that day, whether I had a bm before I was weighed or even what I was wearing (was spandex involved??)
Great point about the internal fat, Ruth Ann. I didn't think about that too.
��
Sully1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

I wouldn't know. I haven't seen any movement at all for awhile, scale or tape measure....
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote