General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default Applied to a job, feel like I'm under-qualified?

I'm 21, 2 classes away from a bachelor's, and have very little experience in the workforce, let alone in the healthcare industry. That said, students in my major got an email from our career development adviser of a job opening. I applied and got an email from them 2 days later asking to schedule an interview. I definitely don't think I'm qualified for the position and have made it clear on my application that I have very little experience in the healthcare field - to even emailing the interviewer about this and she stated that I am qualified, and that they are working on changing their job requirements. Should I really do the interview, knowing that if given the job, I may just be thrown into the company and not know how to do anything? It seems like a good opportunity with great pay and I'm all for learning new things as I go, it just made me question as to why they didn't get someone who is more qualified?

Advice please!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

It doesn't matter how qualified you are, at any new job, you're really not going to know how to do your job! What they're looking for is someone who can learn how to do it and has the proper knowledge base to do it well. They certainly would not have asked you to interview if they didn't see you had the necessary qualities.

I don't know when you're interview is, but spend your time preparing by reminding yourself of all your good qualities and how they will help you be amazing at this job. You may also want to see if one of your professors in this field would be willing to help coach you for this specific interview, as it sounds like it's your first one in the field. Practice and study! Just like for a test.

Don't sell yourself short. This is an awesome opportunity! Good luck to you.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yes, go to the interview! Lots of jobs are "learn as you go", and companies want those jobs filled by people with the right attitude, with a willingness to learn to do the job right, with a sense of responsibility... to name just a FEW qualities that they may value in you...!

Go get a great job!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

They are clearly looking for graduates and don't expect any experience. It would seem they've contacted the career dev person to help them find a person like you.

Give the interview your best shot. They are looking at you the person and your potential, more than how many things you've got under your belt already.

If you don't get it, you'll have had a useful experience. There will very likely be many interviews ahead. So learn to go to an interview without your hopes really high but doing your best to give a good interview.

if you put too much hope into each interview, you will wear your emotional self down. You are competing with lots of other who you know nothing about. Only one person can have the job so there will be lots of disappointments. So be enthusiastic and genuine but take a cautious approach with regard to your chances.

In the job itself they will train you up and don't expect you to know everything or even much. They want someone who can learn the job. Degrees do not give experience or even necessarily job appropriate knowledge. They give you broad skills that can be applied in a wide range of situations such as writing, critical thinking and learning skills.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #5  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Go! You will never know otherwise. I have worked in the healthcare field in several roles, PM me if you want to chat.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #6  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Some employers prefer new grads because they may be up to date on the most current trends in their field and can be more easily trained to do things in a manner that the employer prefers. Younger employees are sometimes considered to be more enthusiastic, more flexible and less expensive than more experienced employees.

They know your background. This could be a great opportunity for you to start your career. Go to the interview and sell them on your best qualities and skills; do not focus on your lack of experience. The transition from student to employee is always challenging and sometimes scary but remember: everybody goes through this.

Patience is right: if you don't get this job, you will get another one.

Congratulations on finishing up your degree. That is a big accomplishment!

Good luck!

Last edited by doingmybest; 05-03-2014 at 01:09 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #7  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Go for it! I wasn't qualified for my position when I got hired. I was supposed to have 3+ years of experience and I was right out of school. However, if you have a good personality and they can tell that you're going to be a good worker, they might just hire you anyways. No one ever knows what to do at a new job. School just gives you a base to learn from.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #8  

Thank you ladies for your input!! I will definitely be giving it my all to get this job! On a side note - When they asked for desired salary on my application, I think I put way lower than what the average is. Do employers usually go by desired salary?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

If it is a big company or hospital (or chain of hospitals), they probably have a salary structure already in place for various jobs and job levels. So don't worry about it.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
If it is a big company or hospital (or chain of hospitals), they probably have a salary structure already in place for various jobs and job levels. So don't worry about it.
It's for a fortune 500 company. They have over 5,000 employees across the nation, I believe. I just couldnt wrap my head around how much they paid and why they would want me, Lol!! While I know education is important, I also knew that experience trumps all! Will definitely not get my hopes up though and keep searching for other opportunities in case things doesnt pan out with this company.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

Good luck with the interview.

For the future - don't undersell yourself. You're trying to convince people to hire you. No one is ever a 100% fit for a job. So always think about what it is about you that's an asset to the position you're applying for. If you don't have experience - maybe you have enthusiams and ability to learn. If you don't have people skills, maybe your organisational ability will be enough and you can commit to improve your management skills.

And never underbid for a job. Ideally, as much as you can - ask them what they're offering. If they ask you, see if you can get away with saying, a fair market wage commensurate with my skills and qualifications.

If you do have to give a number - research the field and put in the number that is average for someone who holds that post (so look at the job pay - not how much you should be paid cause you have 5 years more or less than the average person)
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote