Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/195

Height: 5'9"

Red face Good threads/forums?

Hi everyone - I have been lurking here a little the past few weeks and decided to sign up. I know support is really key when attempting to make big and long-lasting changes (a forum like this one helped me to get sober over four years ago), and I hope I'll get to know some of you and keep myself accountable here! I would love advice for recommended forums to join/follow.

Some background . . .

After yo-yo dieting throughout my teens and early twenties, I stopped dieting during my late 20s. (I'm in my early 30s now.) Each time I had lost, I had gained it back and more, and ended up obese at 25. I kicked myself for it because back when I was a teenager and all the dieting started, I wasn't even overweight (I just thought I was). At my heaviest non-pregnancy weight, I was 247.

Now that my DD is a toddler, I am really thinking about how I want to lose for so many reasons. I don't want to wear out my hips and knees, and I want to feel better about how I look.

I am fairly physically active and in okay shape. I take a two-mile walk almost everyday and have a good resting heart rate. My goal right now is to avoid overeating, avoid eating for emotional reasons, and avoid flour and refined sugar since they have so little nutritional worth and mess with your system so much.

I'd like to lose 50 pounds eventually, but 25 is my goal for now because I'm still nursing my toddler, and we'll probably be planning another child in 7 or 8 months.

Are there active places here to keep myself accountable, and maybe meet some other people with similar situations/goals? Thanks!
amg423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg423 View Post
Hi everyone - I have been lurking here a little the past few weeks and decided to sign up. I know support is really key when attempting to make big and long-lasting changes (a forum like this one helped me to get sober over four years ago), and I hope I'll get to know some of you and keep myself accountable here! I would love advice for recommended forums to join/follow.

Some background . . .

After yo-yo dieting throughout my teens and early twenties, I stopped dieting during my late 20s. (I'm in my early 30s now.) Each time I had lost, I had gained it back and more, and ended up obese at 25. I kicked myself for it because back when I was a teenager and all the dieting started, I wasn't even overweight (I just thought I was). At my heaviest non-pregnancy weight, I was 247.

Now that my DD is a toddler, I am really thinking about how I want to lose for so many reasons. I don't want to wear out my hips and knees, and I want to feel better about how I look.

I am fairly physically active and in okay shape. I take a two-mile walk almost everyday and have a good resting heart rate. My goal right now is to avoid overeating, avoid eating for emotional reasons, and avoid flour and refined sugar since they have so little nutritional worth and mess with your system so much.

I'd like to lose 50 pounds eventually, but 25 is my goal for now because I'm still nursing my toddler, and we'll probably be planning another child in 7 or 8 months.

Are there active places here to keep myself accountable, and maybe meet some other people with similar situations/goals? Thanks!
Welcome, and yes there are hundreds on this board that are in the same situation--with one goal in mind--get to their goal weight for a happier--healthier life.

We have an exercise section on this board--where you will find very active people. We encourage exercise--and many, like myself are addicted to one form of exercise or another.

If you're heavy and you work out--your weight problem comes from overeating. It's pretty simple--calories in versus calories burned during the day.

Here is a great BMI calculator that can tell you where you're at.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

If you have a smart phone--I-phone or android there is a great free app called myfitnesspal--that not only tracks calories you eat during the day but how many you burn during a day. You can sync it with other apps regarding the type of exercise you do. What I like about it--is I can see exactly how many calories I have eaten for breakfast and lunch--and how many I can then have for dinner. No excuses with this one.

Anyway--Good Luck to you and Welcome.

Last edited by Kscott; 04-30-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome! There are lots of good forums and threads here. Lots of good people. I recommend you jump right in and get your feet wet, don't hold back!

As it is May 1st there are several Challenges just starting in the "Chicks up for a Challenge" section, so that could be a great place to start!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ??/??/144 - see ticker!

Height: 5'2½" - 5'3"

amg - welcome to the forums! how about water aerobics? it's easy on joints, as i saw you mention that you wanted to go easy on your knees/hips. i would suggest maybe the 30-somethings forums, and maybe the 200+lbs forums is good too. hope that helps!
jacquelinerose is offline   Reply With Quote