Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/175/140

Height: 5ft 6"

Default Hello - New forum member

Hi Everyone,
I would like to introduce myself as a new member to the forum.

I am 33 next week and have a very active 19 month old little girl. I'm geting married at Christmas and also I shall be bridesmaid at my best friends wedding in August so I really am on a mission to lose some weight to look good in my dresses.

I started on Weight Watchers on 6th January 2014 and weighed 13stone 9.5lbs. In 12 weeks I had managed to get down to 12stone 2lbs and I was feeling fantastic. Then I felt that I was in need of a week off the diet to refocus and get back on, except I havn't managed to get back to it and since then I seem to have put on 5.5lbs.

I stood on the scales this morning and I am 12stone 7.5lbs. I am most annoyed with myself.

However, with the first of the weddings and a holiday fast approaching, I really need to get back on the wagon and be sensible again.

My weigh day is a Friday and I shall take it from there.
I plan to follow the principles of WW and also up exercise. I walk everywhere with my daughter as I do not drive so I will continue with that and I am going to try running. I am not a runner by any means but I really would love to start. So walk-run-walk between lampposts is my starting point.

In January I wore size 16 jeans. I can now fit size 14 jeans and have 2 pairs of size 10 which are made from very stretch material but wouldn't it be nice to go to a shop and be able to fit anything in a size 10. That would be ideal.

Look forward to getting back into the swing of things and being back in control. I want to do this so much.

DaisySunshine
DaisySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi. Have you analysed why you felt that you needed a week off? If you don't consider that, you might find yourself doing exactly the same sort of thing again down the track. People seem to ease up on themselves a lot at certain points along the way and then wham. Its all over. You have to be careful of that sort of thing.

Right now i'm on a pause but i have not changed back to the way i was eating before. I've continued eating the foods that are part of my diet. I just stopped restricting which i think is/was a good idea after three months. Personally i am not too bothered if I don't restart at the time i planned (May) because i have given myself the whole year to get to goal which is plenty of time.

If you think too much about the wedding etc, you will just make it harder for yourself because of the pressure. You probably need to do something about the pressure you have put yourself under and try to avoid that.

One idea i suggest people use to kick start a fresh diet when they are struggling to get started is to try to eat at maintenance calories/whatever the equivalent would be in WW. Then to gradually start restricting after say a week or whenever you feel you can do it.

Another approach which is quite different is to do a one day fast. I did that this diet very near the beginning. I stayed home, didn't do much, took it easy and drank only water, ate nothing. I did a lot of mental work on my resolve that day. I don't know if that's doable with a child unless you can leave her with your dad and take a day off somewhere by yourself where no one can be demanding things of you.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi I felt driven to say Hi because your name is so sunshiny and positive like these --> then I read your intro, I also want to look and feel good for my son's wedding in September, (and congrats on your upcoming Christmas wedding!) we are the same height, and I would love to be 140!

I am 20 yrs older than you though Lots of great people here, many places to chose to hang out, whether you wish to be with WW people, young mothers with young children..or wherever you want.

I think it's very wise that you will do walk/run/walk as your intro to running; what I understand that even with the best intentions, it is easy to injure yourself; your cardio system can adapt rather quickly but it takes longer for your muscles and ligaments to catch up, so walk/jog/walk is wise for beginners.

We wish you the best!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #4  

Thank you for your replies!
I am mostly a very happy person, but my weight has been getting to me. I guess, like everyone I would love to waken up thin!! I used to be a uk size 6 and whilst I accept that is too small for my frame, I was alot thinner regardless.
I felt like I needed a break from the diet as I was so bored with eating the same things, so fed up of saying no to treats, tired of turning down social occasions as I knew food and drink would be involved and it felt easier to say no to invites rather than going and not enjoying myself or looking longingly at the dessert menu!!! I should have allowed myself a maximum of a week off and got back on but foolishly I have let it slip.
I absolutely must lose weight for the wedding in August as the dress that was bought for me is too neat. I hope that it will fit one day soon though!! My beautiful wedding dress fitted me at my largest but a part of me would love for the seamstress to tell me it needs taken in.
I took before and during pictures of my weightloss journey. I look at them and can see the difference and I imagine the day when I get to my goal and compare them both – that is what keeps me going. Just feels a bit far off at the moment?!
Having an active toddler helps but is also a hindrance at times as she has become so independent and doesn’t want to be pushed in her pram and of course fitting in exercise and work and everything else isn’t easy. I am just thankful she sleeps so well through the night. I think the best plan for me is to go for my walk/run at night before I go to bed.

I absolutley could not do fasting though and wont even attempt to. I like food. I want a healthy and sensible approach to food so that my daughter learns good behaviour towards food from me.

xxxx
Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #5  

I did mean to say - I am a vegetarian and struggle with healthy foods which are not meat/fish so would love to hear of any recipies!!

xx
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 112/101/60

Height: 161

Hi! new member here too.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I am the complete oposite to a vegetarian but I would love to stop eating as much meat and start eating more healthy so if you got any tips for that let me know!

We all need a break sometimes, I work hard on my diet monday to friday since I eat breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner alone but on the weekends I have my family with me, my children and husband and we eat the same together so those are my pauses, I know it's not the wise thing to do but it's what I can manage right now.

Dont beat yourself up so much, we all have the same goal and we're here to help each other thru tough times
SkylarLeeDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #7  

Well since I last posted ive lost 2lbs. Not sure how but I guess I have been more sensible. Ive taken up jogging and really enjoyed my first session. Back out tonight.

Xx
Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #8  
banned

Quote:
I felt like I needed a break from the diet as I was so bored with eating the same things, so fed up of saying no to treats, tired of turning down social occasions as I knew food and drink would be involved and it felt easier to say no to invites rather than going and not enjoying myself or looking longingly at the dessert menu!!! I should have allowed myself a maximum of a week off and got back on but foolishly I have let it slip.
I am mostly vegetarian and have had short periods of mild boredom with my food but one of the things i have done more recently is to start broadening out the types of foods i eat. I don't know what you eat but here's some of the things i've started including which in previous diets were not much on my list.

I have a lovely big stack of seeds and nuts and i include them in my salads and sometimes on my breakfast stewed fruit. My serving size is 1tsp of seeds or about small 1tbsp of nuts.

I also have quite a stash of good cheeses in my fridge at the moment. About 5 different types. I don't eat much of them at each serving. But its nice to have that variety. I often put a small piece of goats fetta into my salads which makes them really flavoursome.

While i didn't do it at the beginning, when i ate the same thing every day for breakfast, now i vary my breakfast. I have understood that variety is important for a few reasons.

I'm not so afraid of fat now and this helps with making food more interesting. I even bought some sour cream so if i feel the need i can put it on my soup. I don't do it all the time. I've become really good at not needing to always be using the yummiest things.

I've also much more recently bought some dried figs and fresh dates. The first time i ate them, i thought OMG, this could be trouble for me because it was so sweet and delicious. that was like a warning signal and so since that first moment, i've been good and don't eat them every day. When i have them i have just one or two pieces. One day for a mid afternoon snack i put 2 almonds inside a fig. Lovely. And didn't need anything else until dinner. Another day i put a date inside a fig. Sometimes i chop them onto my breakast or stewed fruit. But only ever one or two pieces and not every day.

Foods i really love to eat regularly are fruit, stewed fruit, natural yoghurt. goats fetta. And i am loving my vegetables more than ever.

I have a great bean/lentil salad. I'm sort of sick of writing it out but i eat this often and its always varied. Oh ok here i go in brief again.

1/2 half to 1 cup beans or lentils
2-3 salad vegetables often grate the carrot or beetroot
1-2 tsp olive oil 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
small chunk of goats fetta
5 walnut halves broken.

There are many ways to vary this. Its big and filling.

i've rediscovered my favourite red lentil soup. Its very easy.Just red lentils, water and salt. Play about with the water and salt levels to get your preferred flavour. I can eat this often. clue should be slightly salt and fairly thin.

Check out french vegetable recipes. they have lots of great ideas especially for salads.

try ratatouille. This is even great on toast. As to sweets i'll start another post. ...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #9  
banned

I don't think its a good idea to say not to social occasions. I think if you want to go you should go.

And for me i think eating sweets - just one serve or share it if you want - in those circumstances is pretty safe.

Otherwise i don't eat sweets and i even say no a lot when offered. I only want to say yes to the best foods. Yesteraday at work someone offered me a store bought piece of cake. I don't want to waste my calories on food like that. I will sometimes but most of the time i find it easy to say no.

So i've quit sweets forever because i figure i've eaten all the ice-cream, chocolate and lollies i need for a lifetime. I know what it all tastes like most of it is simply not that fantastic when all is said and done. So i don't need it anymore or want it. But its probably pretty risky to say absolutely nothing ever again so i have some options.

If someone offers me something, i can have it. But not at home. Only when out and about.
If i'm at a restaurant with other people, probably not a husband if i had one, i'd have dessert.
xmas, i'm going to allow myself strictly limited quantities of certain xmas favourites if they are home made.
travelling, i will be able to sample delicious things more freely.but i would have to set myself some limits.

if i don't do this, i will end up back in my old habits again really easily and going through this whole process all over again. I don't want to be fat any more. And when sweets are not around all the time, i really don't miss them because the quality of my savoury diet is so good.

EAt more fruit. Eat as much fruit as you need to eat. Fresh or home stewed. When you lose the taste for sweets by not eating them, its fairly easy to not miss them if your basic diet is in good shape.

Goodluck.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #10  

So you're 175.5 pounds now? And you want to get down to 140 pounds. That's achievable, but you have set some deadlines for yourself which can create a lot of additional unnecessary stress in your life.

Also you're always going to have to deal with social occasions where there's food and drink. It's a life style change you need to make, so that when the weddings are over you don't gain the weight back. So you need to look at food and drink differently. The key is to eat less and move more. At social occasions it's ok to eat, but eat less and drink less. I don't eliminate foods, or go on weird diets. Two pieces of bread turn into one, and a piece of cake turns into a sliver if cake. Second helpings are a no no.

It's calories consumed, versus calories burned during the day. To help you along the way you may want to upload myfitnesspal to your smart phone or computer. A free app that's easy and helps you keep track of the calories you're hconsuming during the day based on your goal weight and the information you put into it. For walking if you can invest in a Fitbit or jawbone UP, they sync with myfitnesspal to give you an accurate amount of calories you're burning in an average day. Very helpful tools to help keep you on course.

Welcome to the board

Last edited by Kscott; 05-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote