General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia7906 View Post
Common sense is relative. If these "experts" say that there is an agent in broccoli that increases the risk of cancer, trust and believe that many people will believe it. What may be "common sense" for one individual is NOT for another. It's all relative. My point is.....forget about charts that produce ideals like these. Next year, there will be a new ideal and more people will jump on that band wagon too. Even common sense is not black and white. But whatever.
*sigh* oh I know it. Plenty of people will believe just about anything. And often, the more uneducated they are, the more likely it is to happen. That and the fact that most people are sheep. They just believe without questioning it at all.

I don't know about this table being a fad or not. I've been reading lots and lots of websites. Some had tables I didn't agree with at all and some had tables with very similar if not exact numbers of the website I provided. There's nothing special about that website. It just had a good table that summed up all of my research.

Research is fun while I wait for my weight to drop lol. Even if it is all hypothetical since I won't know the true answer for my body until I get there.

And since it's the internet, I have to use common sense to filter the truth from the lies by looking at statistics of healthy people, the way people throughout history have eaten and the apparent results of their way of life, and the modern countries today that are healthy and why. *cough* Japan *cough*
And having lived in Japan for awhile, plus studied the language and the culture for years, I know very well when an internet article is full of lies or not in regards to their food culture.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
I don't know about this table being a fad or not. I've been reading lots and lots of websites. Some had tables I didn't agree with at all and some had tables with very similar if not exact numbers of the website I provided. There's nothing special about that website. It just had a good table that summed up all of my research.

Research is fun while I wait for my weight to drop lol. Even if it is all hypothetical since I won't know the true answer for my body until I get there.

And since it's the internet, I have to use common sense to filter the truth from the lies by looking at statistics of healthy people, the way people throughout history have eaten and the apparent results of their way of life, and the modern countries today that are healthy and why.
I too enjoy research. The challenge with using common sense with this topic is that people will very often support their own agenda by citing research and right it wrong it seems very logical but only because you aren't hearing the other side. In addition, you will see the same information repeated over and over on websites across the net lending credibility to an idea.

A perfect example of this is the idea that eating 5-6 times a day is important to keep your metabolism humming along and keep your hunger at bay. The first part of this is completely false and the second variable to the individual.

Another example is this idea that there is an ideal waist size. Waist size can be useful and certainly there is research that shows a correlation between waist size and health. The problem is that waist size alone is meaningless without other variables and this is why the chart you use has height and another data point. Still though, there is not enough information. If you research the naval method you will find that for men neck size is utilized and I will let you find out the measures used for women.

I have found even after reading about this topic for years it is very easy to get misled by information that sounds right.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I hate crap like this. Seriously. I mean... what does that mean?

What about Apple shapes? What about women after menopause? What about fine boned people and larger boned people?

You simply CANNOT tell if someone is ideal, overweight or obese by waist measurements PERIOD.

If that were the case, when my MIL was 20 pounds overweight and the doctor said she should try to lose a few pounds, that really, she was "ideal" (she has a tiny waist and gains everything in the gut and butt).

That means that even when I was at 25% body fat at age 42, I was still "overweight", close to obese.

So people... TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

it will make you feel good if you have a tiny waist, but that's about all it means - a feel good.
Yes, thank you!!! My waist is so much bigger than the "ideal" here and I've lost 47 pounds! Now I'm even more depressed about my waist that just won't leave. And it's not even a vanity thing. My waist is not a healthy size and that's what my goal is. Not a specific number but a healthy number.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #19  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well this is quite unfair for a short waisted gal like me, who even at a normal weight doesn't get a waist size below about 28 inches (with a 40 inch bust and hips) and yet it supposed to get down to a 24 inch waist? Seriously? I am in a size 10/medium, have had four kids, and am 27 and formerly morbidly obese. And that chart tells me I don't measure up, despite looking and feeling awesome.

I hate stuff like this, especially if I didn't know it was rubbish and actually felt
Ike a failure for *only* keeping off 120-130 pounds, but still not being where some arbitrary chart tells me I should be, even at a weight that is acceptably normal by ANOTHER chart. Pfft.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #20  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

John, I agree research can be fun. What's interesting about research is that you will always seem to find supporting evidence for all sides of an argument. It's great to do research, but what it boils down to in the end is what research makes the most sense to you, therefore, persuading you to make the choice to try one alternative over the other. In actuality, there really is no right or wrong....just preference in the end I should add, this is just how it seems to me

Last edited by Olivia7906; 04-29-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I am 5'8" with a 29 inch waist. Happy man! I used to be a 44!

I have been shooting for 28 inches for a long time now (I think I had that when I was 17). But that ain't gonna happen.
How do you find clothes? My husband got down to a 30" waist at one point (he is 5'11) and it was nearly impossible to find clothes. Even with his 32" waist, he still has trouble sometimes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #22  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
How do you find clothes? My husband got down to a 30" waist at one point (he is 5'11) and it was nearly impossible to find clothes. Even with his 32" waist, he still has trouble sometimes.
The shorter you are, the easier it is to find smaller waisted pants paired with shorter pants.

My teen son is 6'2" with a 28" waist with a 34" inseam. Yep... sure... He usually wears 30s and even those are HARD TO FIND. My 6'1" husband wears a 32 (and can get away with a 32" inseam sometimes). That is easier to find.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #23  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Well this is quite unfair for a short waisted gal like me, who even at a normal weight doesn't get a waist size below about 28 inches (with a 40 inch bust and hips) and yet it supposed to get down to a 24 inch waist? Seriously? I am in a size 10/medium, have had four kids, and am 27 and formerly morbidly obese. And that chart tells me I don't measure up, despite looking and feeling awesome.

I hate stuff like this, especially if I didn't know it was rubbish and actually felt
Ike a failure for *only* keeping off 120-130 pounds, but still not being where some arbitrary chart tells me I should be, even at a weight that is acceptably normal by ANOTHER chart. Pfft.
Yep.... I'm also very short- waisted and, when I was at my thinnest, I was a 40-32-41 (I think) at age 42 and 25.5% body fat and 165 pounds.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #24  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Nelie, my husband is similar, as are his trim brothers. Well, husband is shorter, but one brother sounds similar to your husband's stats. Try checking Express and maybe American Eagle for jeans (you might have to order online, at least for the latter). Express has been a revelation. Before, we went 5+ years without being able to find khakis that fit and didn't look ridiculous. Eesh.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. I got to have my body analyzed, x-rayed, the whole shebang and it turned out my weight range is suppose to be smaller than the BMI chart says (apparently I am not big boned ). The other woman in the program's BMI was off by 20 pounds in the other direction.

I personally would ignore charts, go by how you feels and medical test results. My doctor told me BMI was created as a jumping off point not an end point.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #26  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Nelie, my husband is similar, as are his trim brothers. Well, husband is shorter, but one brother sounds similar to your husband's stats. Try checking Express and maybe American Eagle for jeans (you might have to order online, at least for the latter). Express has been a revelation. Before, we went 5+ years without being able to find khakis that fit and didn't look ridiculous. Eesh.
Well I was able to finally find him Levis that fit and I found that Eddie Bauer 'classic fit' does well on him. Shirts are still a struggle but when we find a style that fits well, we buy as many colors of that style.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #27  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

I like it it gives me an idea of where my waist should be
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #28  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia7906 View Post
John, I agree research can be fun. What's interesting about research is that you will always seem to find supporting evidence for all sides of an argument. It's great to do research, but what it boils down to in the end is what research makes the most sense to you, therefore, persuading you to make the choice to try one alternative over the other. In actuality, there really is no right or wrong....just preference in the end I should add, this is just how it seems to me
The part in red is correct but I am highlighting it because while true it doesn't tell the whole story. When it comes to research you have to see if the supporting evidence is based on a well designed study or not.
Many studies are poorly designed for one reason or another.

A perfect example was several years ago Consumer Reports said Jenny Craig was the most effective weight loss program. I was stunned but this was based on a study that was done.

So while I can cite research that shows Jenny Craig has a 90% success rate if you look at the study you'll find that study participants were given free food but only if they stuck with the program. So yes, people will jump through some hoops for free food but Jenny Craig does not actually have a 90% success rate. (Making up the exact number)

I agree with your conclusion practically speaking because many things work and preference should dictate protocol. What bothers me is when people make statements that are simply not true. (Such as eating 5-6 times a day speeds up metabolism)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #29  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I hate crap like this. Seriously. I mean... what does that mean?

What about Apple shapes? What about women after menopause? What about fine boned people and larger boned people?

You simply CANNOT tell if someone is ideal, overweight or obese by waist measurements PERIOD.

If that were the case, when my MIL was 20 pounds overweight and the doctor said she should try to lose a few pounds, that really, she was "ideal" (she has a tiny waist and gains everything in the gut and butt).

That means that even when I was at 25% body fat at age 42, I was still "overweight", close to obese.

So people... TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

it will make you feel good if you have a tiny waist, but that's about all it means - a feel good.
I agree and at 4'9", I'm not even on the chart.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

According to this chart I'm obese. I'm well within my healthy weight range for BMI. Go figure.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote