General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

Default Ideal waist size by height chart!

I found a good ideal waist size according to your height chart on this website:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...e-matters.aspx

I'm 5'9 with a 29.5 inch waist currently and can definitely stand to lose several more inches. I'm aiming for 27-28" like the chart suggests. I'm just waiting to see what I look like when I get there. I'm not saying this chart is flawless because everyone's different, but I think it's good to aim for "ideal" instead of "average" waistline, especially since I'm an apple-shape person. I want to be excellent, not average.

"To cut cancer risks, everyone should aim to be as thin as possible without becoming underweight." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7069914.stm

That's why I'm not stopping at 22 BMI because it doesn't look right for me. I'm going to go as far as I can go without looking unhealthy or underweight.

What are you aiming for?

P.S. I started out with a 38" inch waist and now I'm 29.5" !! So u can do it too! Don't give up!

Last edited by Arwen17; 04-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am 5'8" with a 29 inch waist. Happy man! I used to be a 44!

I have been shooting for 28 inches for a long time now (I think I had that when I was 17). But that ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by IanG; 04-28-2014 at 11:47 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

According to this chart I have about 10 inches to go. I think I will revisit this after I've lost some more weight, because that number for some reason feels more overwhelming than the number of pounds I have left to lose!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I hate crap like this. Seriously. I mean... what does that mean?

What about Apple shapes? What about women after menopause? What about fine boned people and larger boned people?

You simply CANNOT tell if someone is ideal, overweight or obese by waist measurements PERIOD.

If that were the case, when my MIL was 20 pounds overweight and the doctor said she should try to lose a few pounds, that really, she was "ideal" (she has a tiny waist and gains everything in the gut and butt).

That means that even when I was at 25% body fat at age 42, I was still "overweight", close to obese.

So people... TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

it will make you feel good if you have a tiny waist, but that's about all it means - a feel good.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #5  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post

What about Apple shapes? What about women after menopause? What about fine boned people and larger boned people?

You simply CANNOT tell if someone is ideal, overweight or obese by waist measurements PERIOD.

If that were the case, when my MIL was 20 pounds overweight and the doctor said she should try to lose a few pounds, that really, she was "ideal" (she has a tiny waist and gains everything in the gut and butt).

That means that even when I was at 25% body fat at age 42, I was still "overweight", close to obese.

it will make you feel good if you have a tiny waist, but that's about all it means - a feel good.
Amen!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

I agree that this is not a great chart for everyone, but personally I like it for myself I'm a very hourglass shape and seem to maintain about a 30" waist (at 5'7") in my usual weight ranges. I think 27" would be a good goal marker for me because at that point my stomach would probably be totally flat. My stomach has NEVER been flat in my life!
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Sure. If I have a couple of ribs removed. If I dedicated my life to nothing other than trying to reduce my waist size, sure. Thanks, but no thanks.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #8  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

The article seems to be mostly about waist-to-hip ratio (which I've learned recently to be a good health indicator), not just waist size and they don't really say anything about where they got the numbers from for waist size. *shrug*
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #9  
Finding my mind :)

S/C/G: HW:194 189.6/175.2/127

Height: 5'6"

Yeah it's definitely just a general guide. It doesn't apply to me (measure abt. 42-31-41) since according to this I am not overweight (though not "ideal") but according to BMI and all known standards, I am nearly obese. LOL.
nostoneunturned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #10  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post

COMPLETELY agree. This chart is nuts lol. When will society lose the standards and realize that "healthy" is not black and white.

Last edited by Olivia7906; 04-28-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #11  
Black Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
"To cut cancer risks, everyone should aim to be as thin as possible without becoming underweight." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7069914.stm
The people I've known in my life to have developed cancer were some of the thinnest people I'd known. No weight problems whatsoever. You know, broccoli used to cause cancer, now it doesn't....ooops...they made a mistake lol. That's "experts" for you
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #12  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

So I only need to lose 17 more inches?
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW/CW/GW 223/165/174

Height: 5'4"

Wow..I haven't been "obese" for 10 pounds now but according to this chart, I am obese again. :-(
carebearx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

This is just for ideal waist measurements. It's not about your hips or any other body part. It's about what's usually ideal for the waistline. If I were pear-shaped, I'd be looking up ideal hip sizes as well. But I'm apple-shaped, so I know that if I can get my waist in good form, the rest of my body will be fine.

Broccoli causing cancer makes no common sense whatsoever, unless said broccoli has been contaminated by something. Being as thin as possible, without being underweight/unhealthy, makes common sense because the less you weigh, the less stress there is on your body.

I look at the trends throughout history and the trends of the healthiest countries in the world to determine common sense answers. "Experts" say all kinds of stuff. Use your common sense to filter.

I like having charts and numbers to use as a goalpost, but not a promise. I may end up being smaller or bigger than this chart says, but it gives me a fun goal to aim for. I like it because the numbers seem reasonable to me. But still use your common sense to determine if the chart is good for your body.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #15  
Black Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
Broccoli causing cancer makes no common sense whatsoever, unless said broccoli has been contaminated by something. Being as thin as possible, without being underweight/unhealthy, makes common sense because the less you weigh, the less stress there is on your body.
Common sense is relative. If these "experts" say that there is an agent in broccoli that increases the risk of cancer, trust and believe that many people will believe it. What may be "common sense" for one individual is NOT for another. It's all relative. My point is.....forget about charts that produce ideals like these. Next year, there will be a new ideal and more people will jump on that band wagon too. Even common sense is not black and white. But whatever.

Last edited by Olivia7906; 04-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.