Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~April Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #2  
Bobbi

I enrolled all the Golden Girls in a million dollar giveaway and we won!

April Fool!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

thank you Bobbi
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Bobbi that's a good one!!! Lol. It seems like Christmas just passed. April is already here.
Tomorrow is weigh in day and I feel bloated. It seems like this diet is not working. Every time I eat something I feel guilty. I'm keeping it balanced but I'm thinking I'm going to have to reduce the serving sizes to to the lowest range. I have done that with some foods already. You would know when I find something that I really like. I will keep going and see how it goes.
Dh and I spent the weekend spring cleaning one half of the house. It took us 2 days to clean master closet bathroom bedroom utility and kitchen. Do you know how much grime is behind a stove. Yuk. We moved all furniture and appliances. This weekend coming we will do the other 2 bedrooms guest bath and living room. Then shampoo all the carpets. The sons room are empty so that should be easy. Dh fussed the whole time about the house being too big for just us. Lol. It feels good now that I know the dust bunnies are gone well at least in half the house.

Time to do laundry. Be back later.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This morning my husband came up from the garage and said there are 2 flat tires on the car. I was ready for him and his April Fools joke. I know if they were really flat he would be using much stronger language!

Cajun - You did what I badly need to do. Give the house a good thorough cleaning. You always have so much energy! Any time my husband pulls out a piece of furniture, to retrieve something that fell etc, I come running and and say "Wait! Let me clean back there!" LOL I hope to get it all done before Easter.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

A new month, a new start (at least for me!) March was a horrible, thank-God-it's-over-month, with way too much grief and despair and anguish. And the bad eating (comfort food, anyone?) that accompanies such days. I tried to start a 3FC blog to tell about my month, but the blogs have been disabled. I DID start one on WordPress, but of course do not know how to link that to this site, haha! But "this too shall pass" is also true about grief and sorrow, so I am hereby stating: "This is Day 1 for this old lady" Onward and upward! (Well, hopefully "onward and DOWNward", but you get the drift!)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #7  

Hi everyone. another beautiful day here in Alaska,its cold in the am but by afternoon I can sit on the deck without a coat. loving that. Ive been fighting my allergies and feel stuffy and headachy..the dh is done with the constructing of the craft room( I think the sawdust and paint made my allergies worse)so this afternoon we can start moving all my stuff in I will take pictures when it is as I want it. we picked up my mil lift chair for that rm(she is in nursing home and gave it to me) and I bought a brite fushia pink rug to go under the chair.. so ill have my own ladys cave.can u tell im excited and mr cranky did a great job.
For the new folks,i had bariatric surg,but even tho I cant eat more than 1 cup at a time,i struggle everyday to keep my weight steady,and finally lost the#'s I gained over the holidays. im hoping to get dh to start going to the pool again, being handicapped sometimes makes me frustrated when I have to wait on someone else to get me to where I want to go.. im learning to be patient hoping you all have a low calorie day and Bobbie thankyou for setting up the new month rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 04-01-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, Bobbi I believe that one... I caught my dh...told him I found $3000 in one our of accounts I'd didn't realize (or maybe forgot??) was there. And he believed me!

Today's been kind of a up and down day. First we got some sad and disappointing news from a family member, then our youngest son says they are pregnant on FB...at first we thought it was true...then later got to thinking about it being April Fools Day and sure enough he was joking. We are not really disappointed as we think he has enough children but you can't help feeling a little excited at the possiblity of a grandchild. Plus other news that made my heart hurt for those involved. So I have sorta run the gambit on emotions today and I'm tired.

At the dental appt, they said dh is going to need implants and a new plate soon as his remaining four teeth (he has a partial) are breaking down badly. We are saving for this but not quit ready to do it. Hopefully it can wait a little longer.

So far my eating has been ok I guess...although I did cheat a little bit after lunch and had a small chocolate and pb easter egg. It was a busy day so we didn't go to the gym...shopping and CU this morning and dental appts this afternoon. It was 4 pm when we finally had some fast food for lunch. So we will just snack tonight each on our own.

My meals:
breakfast
PB mocha frappe - pro, carb, fat

Lunch
regular hamburger - carb, pro and probably should count as fat
garden salad - free
small easter egg candy- fat and carb (my cheat)

Last edited by maryea; 04-01-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #9  
Bobbi

I have been a very bad, bad dieter. I keep taking off and putting back on, nothing too serious until this morning. I put on a pair of jeans I haven't worn for awhile and they shrunk. Put on another pair and they shrunk too. What am I going to do?
Oh Yeah, count calories again. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
But I'm not starting until Monday morning when any sane person would start. I will start posting my menu to keep me accountable. We have a dollar store that sells Ginger Snap cookies that are to die for, delicious, spicy and a bite to them. I think I've been nibbling on too many.

You're welcome K3.

Karen...I've been thinking and praying for you and Tim, so sorry about the surgery. I'm glad you're still not in Colorado, but close to your family for support.

Rosey....congrats on getting the last of your holiday weight off and the upcoming "Inspirational Room". And it's not fair you get to sit on your deck in Alaska and in Minnesota we're expecting 5 - 8 inches of snow on friday.

Mary...I thought of my old dentist when I read about Joe's partial plate. He was soooooo against false teeth, he told me if a patient only had one tooth left in his mouth, he'd put in a partial plate. (I don't think that's possible but he empathized his point by telling me that). I'm thankful I still have all my own teeth, two of my siblings don't.

Lizzy...day one for me on Monday. Sorry for your grief

Hi everyone else, hope you all have a skinny day.

Quote:
Healthy Baked Fish Sticks with Lemon Caper Dipping Sauce
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 • Size: 5 sticks + sauce • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 229 • Fat: 4 g • Carb: 15 g • Fiber: 1 g • Protein: 31 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 709 mg • Cholesterol: 63 g
Ingredients:

Lemon Caper Sauce:

1/4 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 tablespoon fresh minced chives
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

For the Fish Sticks:
cooking spray (I use a mister)
1 pound Alaskan skinless cod fillet, about 1-inch thick (thawed if frozen)
3 large egg whites
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

For the crumbs:
1 cup plain Panko crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Directions:

Combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl; set aside.

Preheat the oven to 450°F and adjust the rack to the center position. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with oil.

Slice the fish crosswise into 2-inch long strips, about 1-inch wide.

Combine egg whites, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
In a second bowl combine the Panko crumbs with Old Bay seasoning, dried parsley and remaining paprika.

Pat fish dry with paper towels and dip the fish into the egg mixture, then into crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top of the fish with oil and bake until the crumbs are golden and the fish is cooked through, about 12 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden and the fish is cooked through.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #10  
Bobbi

I see my usual purple letters didn't post right, black fits my mood this morning with my tight jeans, think I'll leave it.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It is a dreary day here today. Maybe the sun will make an appearance later on. Now since it has warmed up some, we have been going bike riding in the afternoons after Maddie gets off the bus. It keeps her busy ~ and is better for all of us than just sitting around the house.

This dreary weather (like Bobbi's black ink) kind of fits the mood. More problems from our brother for my sister and I. Grrrrrr.

I've been working on a picture book (The Groove Book) for Mom. I think I had mentioned it here back along. It was a picture book deal DH heard about on the TV show “Shark Tank”. We've done it 3 times each now. They make little books of 100 pictures that you upload to their web site from your cell phone. The cost for the book and shipping is really good. The pictures ~ the quality ~ most all of them are nice and clear ~ a few are a little grainy looking. But for the price ~ we feel like it has been a good deal.

Guess I'd better get off here and get back to work on that.

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Wish I could get myself motivated to eat a healthy diet. Well, let me re-phrase that -- wish I could get myself motivated to eat only healthy foods after 5:00 or so -- I eat very low-carb all day; drink lots of water; then blow it every evening. It's like my brain chemistry changes. Does anyone else have this happen to you? Am I in such a HABIT of night-time junk-eating that my body/brain only crave it at tht time?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #13  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

You're not alone Lizzy in that battle of the evening munchies ~ there are others here who are having that same struggle. I don't know what the answer is ~ as each of us is different. We just need to keep trying and not give up.

Last edited by glynne; 04-02-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies.
Today is weigh in day. It been 1 week and I'm down 4 lbs. yes!!!! I'm loving this plan. It's very balanced. Hopefully I can keep losing.
April fools day. :-( I completely forgot about it. Ds sent me a pic of a gorgeous engagement ring. Caption said: think she'll like it. I was jumping for joy. About time! I told him he had very good taste. I ask him when was he going to buy this. He didn't answer me for about 30 minutes. Then he said aw mom you know it's April fools day. I wanted to choke him. I told him I wanted to rat on him and tell his gf what he did. He said she was in on the joke. She was doing the same to her mom. I fell for it. You would think I would learn. Those 2 sons of mine are always pulling pranks on me. They tell me I'm easy. Oh we'll guess they love me!!!

Bobbi Incan relate to the tight jeans. You know they are tight when it's time to lay on the bed to zip em up.

Mary don't think eating the candy is cheating. Just fit it into your plan and keep going. That is what I keep telling myself. I also feel so guilty if I eat something that was always the forbidden thing in my mind. Nothing is forbidden as long as it's balanced and measured to the right serving.

K3 where are you? Miss hearing from you.

Gayle they have rain in the forecast for the entire weekend. You are just a few hours away from me. A lot of our weather comes from Houston.

Rosey I can't wait to see your Rosie room!!! I was watching a show about Alaska a couple night ago. Beautiful state. My brother was station in Alaska when he was in the army. Enjoy your warm sunshine!

Carol sue. It will feel even better when we finish this weekend the other half of the house. I try to stay busy most of the time. Ds just informed us that we are going to help him build steps for his house. Our other son needs a lil extension on his shed to put the mower under. I'll be glad when we get them settled in their homes. I have to fine time in there no go fishing!!!!!

Lizzy kudos to you for starting over. You got this. Think positive!!!! Why is it that us moms are the last one we take care of.

Hi to all I missed. Gotta scoot outa here.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #15  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

tax accountant called and I wish her news was an April fools prank. Alas, it is not.
I have been in absolute control of my eating and although I can feel the weight coming off, losing weight has not answered all my insecurities.
Closed Thread