Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #1  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Default Monday Chat -- January 19, 2004

Good Morning Atkins Gals!

I've been up since 3:00 a.m. doing some heavy duty thinking (yes, I know you thought you smelled something burning). You know, I've done this WOE before, and for extended periods of time (like 2 years!), and I've just found out I goofed. I am an avid, high quantity coffee drinker and it was just brought to my attention that coffee is about .8 gms of carbs a cup. Now how the **** did I miss that one? Could it be that I just didn't WANT to know?

Conundrum.....what to do, what to do? Well, I've made a very important decision. I've given up so many things I love, and am actually doing quite well on the program, so I'm sticking with my coffee. Yes, I need my daily fix, and then some. You know, I've been trying to stick from between 5-10 carbs daily in order to speed up the weight loss for this family wedding in April. I'm taking all the right supplements, my system is happy, and the weight is coming off. So, I'm just going to have to come to grips with the fact that I'm actually consuming more like 20 carbs daily. But, for now, the coffee stays. If that has to go, I simply don't think I could continue!!!! I've given up sweets, breads, started exercising, etc., and I'm as committed as they come. But take away the java and I might get ugly.

Hope everyone enjoys this holiday!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm with you there Spedmom, if you want to plan a coffee parade, I'll carry the flag. I've been doing Atkins for 6 months now and each and everyday I have one to two cups of coffee. Hmmm and 41lbs gone, I think it's not making a whole heep of difference for me. I thank my lucky stars that of all the things I am (insulin resistant, salt fiend, etc) that I am not sensetive to caffine!! I do survive some mornings without it but others don't fair so well on those days

Happy Monday!!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 AM   #3  

I'm with Spedmom and Tummy...Coffee is the one thing I really enjoy in the morning...and drinking it with cream and splenda makes me feel I'm really having something decadent and I drink about 4 cups (6 oz.) too.

I'm just off induction today and I've lost about 7 pounds. Now comes the scary part...adding in carbs here and there

Any suggestions

Well, I'm off to read e-mails and posts between work here (my puter bit the big one this weekend, may it rest in peace )
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #4  
one step at a time..

Good morning everyone
I can't really relate on the coffee issue because I don't drink it. sorry.

Spring semester classes started today. First day back isn't usually too bad. I already had one class cancelled today because the professor is in Florida. Must be nice, lol. It's freezing here.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #5  
I love green eggs and ham

Default Morning Girls...

Hope everyone is having a great day..

I was up early as well... couldn't sleep very well..
I'm off to exercise and then to the grocery store (nightmare). I'm taking my little weinerdog with me in my purse.. I've done it before and I''ll do it again, I dont want her to have to stay home by herself---and honestly she loves it in there!! She roots around like a little pig and gets all comfy (thanks to my mom for instilling the belief in my head that no purse is ever too big) Wonder if they'd call this a purse, or a dufflebag?? Either way.. her and I are off..

About the coffee thing.. I think they say something like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it... or something like that..
If you're still losing and your having the cup o' joe.. more power to you..I dont see any reason to change now.

Have a great day ladies!

Ella
Old 01-19-2004, 10:10 AM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

Good morning, all! So many new faces -- that's great! Welcome to everyone!

I completely agree with you all on the coffee issue. Some isn't going to hurt you. At one point, I got a little carried away with the cream, and that stalled my weight loss. So, I *try* to limit myself to just one cup a day with cream and Splenda. I think you just have to figure out what works for your body.

Spedmom: You're doing wonderful -- I don't think you have to worry about the coffee!!

Tummygirl: Same to you! Great job on losing 41 pounds! That's awesome!

BizzyLizzy: I've never upped my amount of carbs from 20 -- I try to stick around there, but if it goes higher (even up to 30), I don't worry too much. I've just added some non-induction foods, like nuts, and added more vegetables.

Lixue: Hope your classes go well! It's beautiful here in Florida -- that is one smart professor!

Ella: How cute about your dog!! That's so sweet!

Well, I usually weigh-in on Mondays. Last Monday, I avoided it because I was feeling really fat. Chicken way out, I know. This week, they cancelled our TOPS group. So, it won't be until next Monday that I finally weigh-in. I'm going to really try and stick to induction this week to see if I can come up with a decent loss. I just seem to lose some weight, then gain some, lose that, lose a little more, gain some or stay the same, etc. It would be nice to consistently lose from week to week. I feel like I've been the same weight for a few months! I really want to start making some serious progress again.

All that being said, DH made a wonderful meal last night -- steak, lobster, asparagus, rolls -- complete with a white tablecloth and candles. It was so wonderful! Well, I ate all of the approved stuff, which should have been plenty, but two rolls managed to find their way into my mouth. We reasoned it was a "special occassion." Then, I had some fudge leftover from Christmas for dessert. Once I get started on the bad stuff, it's hard to stop. Anyway, that was last night. I'm starting over today for a successful week!

Does anyone else have to work today? Our company doesn't recognize today as a holiday. They're kind of stingy with vacation.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Take care,
Jina
Old 01-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Morning all!! Yes, Jina, I have to work today too. Too bad too, because, of course, my kiddies are out of school and it would be so nice to be home with them...oh well.

I have to agree with you girls about the coffee with cream and splenda, of course!!

I don't count it either, but I usually only hve one cup a day. Then I drink my water and don't allow myself to have a soda untill I've had my 8 - 8 oz. glasses of water. So, I'm usually through those by 3P!

Have a great day!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #8  
Head Princess

Hello everyone!

Wow! Lots on new names today!

Froufy - you weekend sounds lovely! You have my jealousy

Jina - ditto for you, chickie!

DH and I went about 1 1/2 hours south yesterday to visit his brother. Somehow, I managed to double my standard carb lintake without going off plan at all I checked the scale this morning and it seems like no damage was done, so that's a relief! I'm cutting out cheese and nuts for the next few days just to be sure the scales are still tipping in my favor.

I'm also rededicating myself to my exercise schedule. I was totally exhausted all week last week due to my brush with the flu, but I'm feeling all better now and ready to bring it on!

I am so glad I never really liked coffee! Or caffeine for that matter. There was a point in time several years ago when I drank at least 2 red bull's a day, but caffeine makes me jittery and I don't like it. Now I have 2 or 3 cups of green tea a day and life is good

Ok, need to work! (Yes, I'm working today, too! ) But on the plus side, I don't have school today
Old 01-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #9  
The Princess O' Pets

Good Morning Chickadees!

Nice to see all of you new faces and oldie ones too!! Great!!

Well DH and I went out on my birthday date last night!! It was so nice. We went to the movies and saw "Big Fish", one of the best movies I have ever seen! I loved it. I usually laways like Tim Burton's films though so that was a given. But the stroy was beautiful and the filming excellent, it made me laugh, cry, everything!!! Would totally recommend it! (the popcorn tasted good too! heeheeeheee I only had a tiny bit though I was sooo worried I would end up like Star barfing in the public bathroom! )

Then we went to Applebee's for dinner and had crappy slow service BUT it was nice for us just to sit and talk without the kids trying to talk at the same time. I had a taste of mashed potatoes, but they tasted like poop, so I figured why?? Why even eat it if I am gonna go off track it better taste like gourmet!! Then we came home! And I got all hot and clammy from all the carbs like usual when I eat them now and then promptly passed out! Well back to the grindstone today, and I am re-starting induction this week, so here it goes!!! Gotta get my body used to the change in activity while I am in training & sitting for my new job. NO Jina I don't have to work today...we got a paid holiday and i have only worked there 3 days, but my other job is stingy with holiday pay and they work today!

Personal greets....

Sped: I wouldn't worry about the coffee unless it causes trouble, it just could slow you down a little but you seem to be doing great!

Tummy: Great to meet you and chat!!!

Bizzy: excellent job!!! So happy for you!!

Lixue: Have a great day at school!!

Ella: I have a big purse too and it fits a 7 pound toy poodle in it just great!!! LOL Jean Michel pretty much believes he shouldn't be without me for any minute of the day!!

Hey Jina girl!! Are we making quiche this week or should we do it next week!! LOL. OOOOOO DH was a smooth operator last night, table cloth and candles!!! I think I would've counted it a special occasion too, in fact I did too.....hahahahaha

Lori: have a good day at work, that sure would be nice to stay home with the kiddies whenever they have a day off.

Have a great LC day gals!!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #10  
The Princess O' Pets

Star... you snuck in there on me girl!! Glad you are doing great and it sure feels great to be back on excercise!! I felt so yucky last week when I didn't exercise while in training....but these past couple days I feel great!

PS : never liked coffee either, I am a tea girl all the way!! But I sure do love a diet pepsi!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #11  
Head Princess

I love Diet Pepsi, too! I just have to be super careful with it because aspertame tends to give me stomach aches. Ohhhhhhhhh have you tried the new Diet Coke with Lime??? Yummy!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #12  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

HI Gang!

Boy did I have an exciting weekend!

We got a puppy!!!!!!

Her name is Sophie (We picked it) she is a 2.5 month old Lab/German Shepard Mix. someone tell my how to attatch thumbnails!! She is so sweet and playful! But of course we have had the crying the last couple of nights, but not too bad!

THe kids LOVE her!!! ANd so do I!

Jina - DH has to work today too! Our bodies are a funny thing.. I am finding that I will lose a chunk of weight.. then I will stall for a a few weeks then I lose a chunk again.. it is really strange.. but that is how I work... maybe that is what you do too?

All the coffee drinkers - ME TOO! I wont give up the coffee at all. I still drink mine leaded with heavy cream. I try to stick to 2 a day.. but with the cool weather sometimes I have a 3rd at night.

WOW! Welcome to all the new people!!! I am gone for a couple of days and lots of new faces!!!

As for me.. the weigh in is official! I am down 5 pounds this week from last week! WOO HOO!! I start back at the gym on Wednesday.. gotta work in the classroom on Tuesday for DD..

Well Im going to run. WIth a new puppy in the house and the kids home.. mom has to keep an eye out on her!!

HUGs to all!!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #13  
The Princess O' Pets

Karen, Congrats on the puppy!!! Did you get her from a shelter or from a private party??

Just my veterinary side coming out....make sure she is dewormed and then repeated again 3 weeks later, then have a fecal checked by a vet to make sure they are all gone. Puppies usually come complete with worms and children can contract worms from dogs. Usually because kids are playing and they don't wash their hands as much as an adult does. Did they give her first vaccines to her as well??

If you have any questions....you can PM me! She sounds cute and Sophie is a GREAT name!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #14  

AWWWW now I want a puppy!! They're sooooo sweet when they're still little and have that "puppy breath" *LOL* OMG...what am I thinking... I already have 4 cats, 2 hermit crabs and a turtle. Sigh...good thing my landlord doesn't allow dogs or we'd have one since I'm more of a "dog person" than a "cat person". I love the name Sophie, too

I've hear from a lot of friends that "big fish" is a good movie...I'm hoping to see it soon. Thank goodness I don't like movie theater popcorn! I buy the kids popcorn, but I smuggle in my own snacks if I have to. We usually eat dinner right before the movie so we don't need all those overpriced things, but the kids don't think it's a movie without the popcorn!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #15  

StarPrincess and Theo'sGirl- we must be the only three people in the Portland area who aren't addicted to coffee! I swear, we have a shopping center in town with a freestanding Starbucks, plus a full Starbucks inside the grocery store, and an espresso stand in the parking lot! I too, prefer tea- going to have a run at green tea this week.

We're hanging out at home today due to the holiday. Probably a good thing for my first day on this thing. I need to go to Costco today to pick up a pork roast.

Good luck with the puppy KarenW! Our dogs have always been a mixed bag- we had one a few years ago who literally ate every pair of shoes I owned- and never touched anyone else's! He also ate the corners off all the baseboards in the house, plus chewed the arms and legs off all our Barbies. So we played Hospital with them instead!

Our current dog is an English Setter. He's really pretty, but not very smart. And he loves butter.

I'll let you guys know how I did today later on... this is such a big change!

SpyGirl
Closed Thread