Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196.3/185.2/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Rutabaga

So I picked up a rutabaga at the grocery store today...Now what?

How do you like to prepare yours?

Thanks!
JSorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #2  

It's often used as a low-carb potato alternative.

Rutabaga fries:
http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-rutabaga-fries-416905

Rutabaga hashbrowns:
http://paleospirit.com/2012/turnip-h...h-pulled-pork/
...make a hash out of it!

Roasted rutabaga:
http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/ve...strutabaga.htm (omit or swap sugar for sweetener)

You can also mash or whip it with some EVOO, nutmeg, salt and pepper!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/236.20/150

I cooked a rutabaga today, too. I cut it into fry shapes and roasted at 400 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. I took it out at 40 and they were still too firm for my liking. So, I put it back in.

I once saw a tip about peeling one (on the Food network).... it's the only way I've tried, so I don't know if it's easier or not. But, it's the way I do it. I cut a thin slice on the end so that it will rest flat. Then, I use a big sharp heavy knife to cut it in half from top to bottom. Then, I cut each half in half... and sometimes in half again depending on how large the rutabaga is.

Then, I can easily hold each wedge in my left hand while peeling the waxy peel off with a paring knife.

When the peel is off, I cut it into cubes or fry shapes. (You get a good workout peeling and cutting a rutabaga!!)
Yayalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayalaine View Post
I cooked a rutabaga today, too. I cut it into fry shapes and roasted at 400 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. I took it out at 40 and they were still too firm for my liking. So, I put it back in.

I once saw a tip about peeling one (on the Food network).... it's the only way I've tried, so I don't know if it's easier or not. But, it's the way I do it. I cut a thin slice on the end so that it will rest flat. Then, I use a big sharp heavy knife to cut it in half from top to bottom. Then, I cut each half in half... and sometimes in half again depending on how large the rutabaga is.

Then, I can easily hold each wedge in my left hand while peeling the waxy peel off with a paring knife.

When the peel is off, I cut it into cubes or fry shapes. (You get a good workout peeling and cutting a rutabaga!!)

I was wondering how tough peeling them would be...thanks for the tip!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I peel them whole like an apple round and round with my vegetable peeler. The waxy skin comes off very easily!

Having them tomorrow for Easter side... Cut into small cubes and seasoned with curry, cumin, garlic, paprika, garlic powder and then WF maple syrup to lightly coat... In the oven to bake until Carmelized roasty, toasty soft!! Mmmmmmm!!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #6  

Default Very Strange

So, I made a first batch of rutabaga "fries" last night...roasted them in the oven with my IP salt and taste tested one and thought it was pretty yummy. I decided to turn on the broiler for a touch of browning - and then was distracted by something shiny. I came back to blackened rutabaga fries. Lesson learned.

So today for lunch I roasted the other half of the rutabaga with a small turnip in the same fashion. I find it funny how much I enjoyed those rutabaga fries...the only preparation in which I had rutabaga previously was in a stew.

Anyhow - glad to have another veggie option on hand to put into the rotation.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

I find it best when I cut them into fries and boil them for 10 minutes before tossing them in my homemade taco seasoning and putting them into the oven to bake. It cuts down on the baking time and I find they are more 'french fry'-ish when they come out of the oven.
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulse View Post
I find it best when I cut them into fries and boil them for 10 minutes before tossing them in my homemade taco seasoning and putting them into the oven to bake. It cuts down on the baking time and I find they are more 'french fry'-ish when they come out of the oven.
I put them in the micro w/a little water for 3-4 mins to soften them and then mix them with a few drop olive oil and spices before roasting.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/236.20/150

Ahh, these sound like great ideas to pre-cook the rutabaga. I liked the taste of mine, but the texture was nothing like fries. I'll try pre-cooking it next time!
Yayalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/157.5/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelflife View Post
It's often used as a low-carb potato alternative.

Rutabaga fries:
http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-rutabaga-fries-416905

Rutabaga hashbrowns:
http://paleospirit.com/2012/turnip-h...h-pulled-pork/
...make a hash out of it!

Roasted rutabaga:
http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/ve...strutabaga.htm (omit or swap sugar for sweetener)

You can also mash or whip it with some EVOO, nutmeg, salt and pepper!
Thank you so much for the rutabaga hash recipe! I made it for Mother's Day and it was the hit of the party!
hopeisallthereis is offline   Reply With Quote