View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
Wannabehealthy
Struggling Dieter

I'm no expert, but I think binging comes from denying yourself what you really want. If I am craving something that I don't think I should eat, I try eating something else to satisfy my hunger. When that doesn't work, I try something else. Before long, I've overeaten so many things but didn't satisfy my craving. I think if I had just eaten what I was craving I would have been satisfied and stopped there. If that happens to be a trigger food that starts a binge, then it's a different story. But if eating some ice cream will satisfy your craving then you're ahead of the game.

Here is how I stopped binging on bad foods. I have diabetes and would rather control it with diet and exercise than with meds. I read Joel Fuhrmans book The End of Diabetes, which uses his Eat to Live plan. He emphasizes lots and lots of vegetables, no starchy carbs and a little protein, because the vegetables are giving you the micronutirents your body wants. I started eating the vegetables but was still eating the bad foods. I knew that wasn't the way you're supposed to do it, but I was having a hard time letting go. But eventually, with larger quantities of vegetables I started letting go of the sweets, bread, pasta, rice, etc. Sometimes I actually crave brussels sprouts! Who does that? LOL If your body is getting more nutrients, it doesn't want those empty calories. Now I very rarely eat starchy carbs. I didn't say "never" I said "rarely." It doesn't have the attraction it once did. I just don't binge on it any more. I'm old. In my 60's. Most of my aches and pains are gone. And my diabetes is back under control.

The moral of the story is, don't try to jump in with both feet. It's too much of a shock to your body. Just start adding good whole foods, the way they're provided in nature. Let go of the other stuff gradually, so you barely notice it's gone. I'm losing, but it's slow. You young ones will probably lose a lot faster.

Good luck to all of you.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote