Old 04-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Default IP and strength training

I've searched for information in previous threads and googled but couldn't find any answers, so I turn here.

I am almost 6 weeks into Phase 1. I have issues with my right shoulder due to a car accident and would like to start doing some work to help it get stronger. I'd also like to start toning my arms and legs a little. We have a Bowflex machine that I'd like to use. Can I use the Bowflex (with 10-20 lbs of resistance) while on phase 1?
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #2  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

My coach said I can do moderate weights as long as I have an extra IP packet immediately prior to working out. I'm going to start a Tracy Anderson video, as she does very light weights (3 lbs), but works smaller muscles to build strength.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
My coach said I can do moderate weights as long as I have an extra IP packet immediately prior to working out. I'm going to start a Tracy Anderson video, as she does very light weights (3 lbs), but works smaller muscles to build strength.
In my opinion, you won't build strength with 3 pounds. Maybe a bit of endurance, but not strength.

I think the Bowflex at that weight is find. Try it and see how you feel. If you want to do more, perhaps have an extra packet on the weight training days.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
I began workouts a few months into IP...

Because of my height I DID NOT add anything to the protocol and at the time paying attention to my particular individual BMR, NOTE: it (calories on IP actually got scarily) closer every week to what my BMI was going to require to simply maintain.....due to my height... (I am so short ...you are not much taller).

My advice is not to go with what the average height person does. You are NOT AVERAGE. Be careful adding calories. Two egg whites from HB eggs or a simple egg white omlette may be more than enough. Your weight loss could slow down by adding another 100 calories to your diet. Mine never really slowed down.. but the muscle toning from resistance and strength training has been obvious. I only added the egg whites if I truly felt hungry.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-19-2014 at 07:10 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulse View Post
I've searched for information in previous threads and googled but couldn't find any answers, so I turn here.

I am almost 6 weeks into Phase 1. I have issues with my right shoulder due to a car accident and would like to start doing some work to help it get stronger. I'd also like to start toning my arms and legs a little. We have a Bowflex machine that I'd like to use. Can I use the Bowflex (with 10-20 lbs of resistance) while on phase 1?

The answer is NOT that simple.Your heart rat is the best indicator of the level of your workout. Its a good idea to google and read some info on what is considered moderate and to gauge your OWN heart rate during exercise to be sure you are hitting that target rate...and NOT MORE at this time. This is usually based on age related norms, and the ranges for light, moderate and intense are proportionate to that.

There are some great threads on exercise, and I posted links a few months ago for gauging this. Good luck and good for you you are asking this...!!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
In my opinion, you won't build strength with 3 pounds. Maybe a bit of endurance, but not strength.

I think the Bowflex at that weight is find. Try it and see how you feel. If you want to do more, perhaps have an extra packet on the weight training days.
This is true. I'm not trying to build muscle mass, just keep what I have (quite a bit for my frame) and tone small muscles to to achieve a slender muscular build. I think Tracy Anderson has the best program for this.

You are right 65X65, I won't use the extra packet unless I am really struggling or had a heavy workout.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #7  

Quote:
This is true. I'm not trying to build muscle mass, just keep what I have (quite a bit for my frame) and tone small muscles to to achieve a slender muscular build. I think Tracy Anderson has the best program for this.

You are right 65X65, I won't use the extra packet unless I am really struggling or had a heavy workout.
There are actually quite a few programs out there that will help you, but if you enjoy her, go for it. I feel she has a lot of mis-truths in what she says. The important thing is what you are doing with your body, not what you hear.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #8  

Chriztna-

I believe you are in touch with your body and will know when it is right to add a bit extra. It is a real tightrope when you are small!! Now that I'm in maintenance it find it necessary to eat only 1/2 or 2/3 of portions of most foods to make sure I don't top out calorie wise too often. For exercise, I do circuit training 3 days a week, and cardio/recumbent bike for the other 3 days a week. (Total miles = about 25-30 miles a week). Recently with some nicer days, dropped the bike time to 45 min from an hour and am trying to get out again later in the day for another 30-40 min of walking. Have noticed a slight increase in my appetite, only with adding the walking the last 10 days..but am carefully watching the scale to make sure my head is not playing tricks on me. Being smaller burns less calories than most everyone else for the same physical exercise. WHAT A BUMMER!!

Good luck getting toned and preserving your muscle...You are a great example of someone looking at the whole picture. I am a firm believer that on IP it is critical to get in that grooove sooner rather than later...drd is amazing because I think she has almost always done this type of strengthing exercise...too bad she can't hold a virtual class for us newbies!! LOL!! Some days it is hard to get motivated and it would be good to let someone, who understands this, kick my butt to gear up!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-20-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #9  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

I have never been one to exercise. I look at people jogging and ask myself, why? But I do know it needs to become part of my life, if anything to help maintain a lower weight while still having the occasional treat. I have a very skinny friend who eats and drinks whatever she wants when I see her but I learned she works out at least 3 hours a day and doesn't eat much most of the time. That isn't healthy either.

In the past, I have enjoyed kettle bell workouts. The ones I have done always made me out of breath tho so I will have to find some new ways to use them.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
I have never been one to exercise. I look at people jogging and ask myself, why? But I do know it needs to become part of my life, if anything to help maintain a lower weight while still having the occasional treat. I have a very skinny friend who eats and drinks whatever she wants when I see her but I learned she works out at least 3 hours a day and doesn't eat much most of the time. That isn't healthy either.

In the past, I have enjoyed kettle bell workouts. The ones I have done always made me out of breath tho so I will have to find some new ways to use them.
I that 3 hours a day is a bit extreme especially without the caloric support. Think what would happen if she got injured and really never learned how to support her weight without that exercise.

Exercise should be something you enjoy. Jogging is not for everyone. If you like kettle bells, that means you will do kettle bells. I think that is the most important thing about the form of exercise we do. It should be something we enjoy and look forward to.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Chriztna-

I believe you are in touch with your body and will know when it is right to add a bit extra. It is a real tightrope when you are small!! Now that I'm in maintenance it find it necessary to eat only 1/2 or 2/3 of portions of most foods to make sure I don't top out calorie wise too often. For exercise, I do circuit training 3 days a week, and cardio/recumbent bike for the other 3 days a week. (Total miles = about 25-30 miles a week). Recently with some nicer days, dropped the bike time to 45 min from an hour and am trying to get out again later in the day for another 30-40 min of walking. Have noticed a slight increase in my appetite, only with adding the walking the last 10 days..but am carefully watching the scale to make sure my head is not playing tricks on me. Being smaller burns less calories than most everyone else for the same physical exercise. WHAT A BUMMER!!

Good luck getting toned and preserving your muscle...You are a great example of someone looking at the whole picture. I am a firm believer that on IP it is critical to get in that grooove sooner rather than later...drd is amazing because I think she has almost always done this type of strengthing exercise...too bad she can't hold a virtual class for us newbies!! LOL!! Some days it is hard to get motivated and it would be good to let someone, who understands this, kick my butt to gear up!
Thanks, blush. I actually love exercise and always have. I am interested in the way the body works. The local community college offers a wonderful certificate for personal trainers. I took all the kinesiology classes but the one needed for certification. It was at 9am. Work would not let me off. My professor asked me to go to the head of the department to ask for an evening class. She felt they needed one as well, but they would not budge. I tried but money and all that would not let them offer two. Too bad. I would enjoy working with people as a side job. Especially folks with handicaps and weight issues. You never know, if it is meant to be, it will happen.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #12  

Quote:
Thanks, blush. I actually love exercise and always have. I am interested in the way the body works. The local community college offers a wonderful certificate for personal trainers. I took all the kinesiology classes but the one needed for certification. It was at 9am. Work would not let me off. My professor asked me to go to the head of the department to ask for an evening class. She felt they needed one as well, but they would not budge. I tried but money and all that would not let them offer two. Too bad. I would enjoy working with people as a side job. Especially folks with handicaps and weight issues. You never know, if it is meant to be, it will happen.

What a shame! I worked with a P-Trainer once who was teeny tiny and had no IDEA of the struggles some of her clients had with weight...I finally stopped going to her..She used to complain how she was having trouble maintaining and was "losing weight" and she wasn't even trying to do that. Like I was paying big bucks to listen to her "problem"?

Somehow...I think there is a place for you in this field...someday maybe you will get to reinvent yourself...a lot of people would benefit if P-Trainers had the insight necessary to understand this issue.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #13  

I completely agree with drd on one important point. (Okay, that sounds like its the only thing I agree with, which couldn't be further from the truth!)

The only exercise we will do consistently is one we love to do. I would NEVER get out of bed at 5 am for running. It isn't my thing. It hurts more than it helps (for me). However, yoga or water exercise are hugely motivating for me. I wish my gym had 5:30 am group water classes. I'd be there! Instead, I wake up to do a personalized wii fit yoga routine (with some strength training added in). Yoga has taught me body weight is all that's needed for me to increase strength and it also has greatly improved my balance and flexibility. I'm just getting to the point that group yoga classes are fun. This is because I've finally developed enough strength to be able to "keep up". I don't like being the only one who can't do things like balance on one foot or hold a plank.

My PBS station also has a show called Classical Stretch. Like yoga, it is way more than a "stretching class". On days I do this show, I usually string two or three 23-minute episodes together (thank goodness for DVR). I may end up purchasing the whole season (http://www.classicalstretch.com/). I'm currently doing shows from Season 9, weight loss and Pain Relief, which is right up my alley!

I was SUPER out of shape. Major back pain reduced any exercise I could do (more than 15 minutes on a stationary bike hurt). I used to LOVE spinning classes. I'm hoping I'll be able to work back up to those, as well. It takes both strength and endurance for a spin class. The nice thing is that my gym has some spin bikes in with the cardio equipment so I can make my own routine and go at my own pace. The club DOES have 5:30 group spin classes so maybe that'll be my next goal.

My WL stall has helped me to focus on other aspects of a healthy lifestyle. I probably wouldn't have pushed so hard to improve my strength through physical therapy if getting to goal had been as easy as losing the first 90 was.

Quote:
Would they let you do it as an independent study?
Most info in class can be re-created another way.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-20-2014 at 05:24 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #14  

I was thinking about yoga. I've never really tried it out. I do have a Wii Fit board that I should drag out. My body is waking up earlier on its own, so I could fit in thirty minutes in the morning.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I completely agree with drd on one important point. (Okay, that sounds like its the only thing I agree with, which couldn't be further from the truth!)

The only exercise we will do consistently is one we love to do. .
I hate it all..I struggle with it everyday. Being 65..heading eyeball to eyeball with 66...I would rather read a book. I wish I could say I found something to love...or love some aspect. For me the answer is a resounding...nope...not there.. so absent the love fest... know better anyway. That love thing would be nice but it MIGHT be a myth...It is not about what we might love. That helps...but if you can't find that...you MUST find what will work with your life. And do it. Just to be healthy.

I wish it were not so...but some like me will need to find their peace with this. It is like the scale. (that was easier for me...)
With out these two things...you are wasting your time and a LOT of $$$ on IP for the long haul.