Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Sugarlogged. :(

I'm so frustrated! I officially re-committed to being healthy and losing weight January 2013. I've lost right at 65 pounds, which is good. I exercise 1 - 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I've gone from a size 28 to a size 14.

But...I'm not there yet. My goal is to reach 165 pounds. I have only lost 10 pounds this year. That's right...10 pounds in 15 weeks. It's because of the food. I do well with eating my fruits, nuts, and veggies for a while. Then, because of a birthday, or a holiday, or even bad PMS, I blow it. I'll eat like crazy and end up gaining 2 pounds that week...2 pounds that it will take me a month to lose.

I just don't know why I can't leave the sugar alone. This week I bought some Easter candy because I made big paper mache eggs to fill and mail to friends and family. I love doing things like this on holidays, and sometimes I can be around sugar and be unaffected. I filled the eggs, but also ate almost 2,000 calories in candy myself. My husband just had a birthday, and I made him a towering ice cream cake. I ate a third of it myself, in one day! Even though I was full and feeling sick, I just couldn't put down the fork. Now I know that I've gained another 2 - 3 pounds this week and I'm even further from my goals.

Does anyone have any advice? I've worked so hard and I never envisioned 'the home stretch' (the last 35 pounds) to be so terrible to lose. I've been looking forward to ONEDERLAND for months and months, but I can't seem to pull it together and make it there.
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #2  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I'm right there with you this week. Easter candy is the Devil! I can resist Halloween, but chocolate candy eggs call to me! I even noticed that I ate so much sugar that my heart raced and I had shaky hands. Weird! I've never noticed that before. I guess it's from being sugar free for so long and then loading up all at once -- kind of like caffeine.

I'm going to try to go cold turkey again. As tasty as it is, I KNOW sugar is my nemesis. I've just got to stay away from it. Hang in there. From my experience, the less sugar I eat, the less I want. I just have to keep from falling over the edge every once in a while.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 233 RW 216.8 CW 170 GW155

Height: 5' 6.5"

Weight loss is a series of choices. 10 pounds in 15 weeks is ok! Between 0.5-1 pound a week. No shame in that. Give yourself a break.

Binging isn't good for you sure, but you're still making progress.

I had that issue several months ago but after I started to lose weight. I had two birthday parties for my 3 year old and ate almost one entire cake myself. Ugh. I sucked it up, realized today is a new start, forgave myself for being a glutton, and restarted. I just don't keep stuff like that in the house at all now. I know I'm terrible at saying no.

We can't let things like that halt our progress. The problem is that the addiction won't go away. We have to learn moderation. It's not an easy lesson. Only about 1 in 20 people who lose weight are successful long term. That's scary. , but when we allow ourselves to get too discouraged by something in our journey then we are more likely to be a regainer.

I've lost all this weight once and was 142 pounds, size 6. I decided I could binge because I was small and the cake was meant for me to indulge. Needless to say I gained all my weight back plus some. We can't forgive ourselves before the binge, but we can't get right back on track.
Appmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #4  

I know...you're both right. I went to the grocery store and stocked up on healthy foods. Started tracking calories again. It's so hard to start over after such a fall (it wasn't just the sugar of this week...I've had 3 weeks of travel before that where I wasn't eating like I should and not exercising). Well, I just have to do the best I can with today, and then tomorrow...repeat!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I am addicted to sugar and anything with a high glycemic index. I don't care what anyone else says, food addiction is not definitive, blah blah blah. For me it's real. If I abstain from it, I can stay away from it easier. I can't have "just a little". As in, "Come on, eat some, just a little won't hurt you!" That's the biggest lie of the century. If I eat a little, I want more. If I get more, I eat it until it's all gone and then I am physically sick and still wondering if I could eat even more. When it is all gone, I start wondering what I will eat next. Replace the word eat with drink alcohol or smoke crack, and I sound like a full blown drug addict. If I don't eat bread, pasta, flour of any kind or refined sugar, I am completely fine. I eat "normally." What helps me is remembering that the only way for me to recover is to not picture a day when I can go back to eating like a "normal" person. I just cannot let myself eat that way anymore. That way of eating is what brings me back here time and again after I lose the weight and quickly binge it back on with bread, pasta and desserts galore. This time, I am going to make every effort to stay away from those foods that I am unable to control myself around. Food is fuel, and not meant for me to enjoy to such an unnatural level. I am so obsessed, I even plan functions around food. I always want to know what foods will be served before I even ask who will be there. That makes me sad. I have missed so much by letting food control me. No more. Food is going to be my b****, not the other way around. You are doing great. If you hid and ran away from your binges, you would be failing. But you aren't. You are facing it head on. Just don't give up. You will be so glad you didn't! And you aren't alone. There is another sugar junkie right here!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Coming to you as a fellow sugar junkie….

I agree more with the idea of cold turkey for people like us. I don't think i can ever trust myself to be a moderate sugar eater. So cold turkey it is. And i really don't' mind.

I started at the beginning of january for the second serious attempt. the firsts time was good too but this time is better. I've tweaked my plans but most of the tweaking has been about other f actors in my diet.

so back to the sugar. Its quite a big thing to commit to never eating sugar again. Forever is such a long time. So what i did is i have some safe times for eating sugar. And i just put it to the test the other day for the first time.

The only times i can eat sugar is when someone else (not family) offer it to me. And when i am at a restaurant. In both instances i am only allowed one serving but that's fairly easy to do so long as there's no food lying around.

the other day, i was at a friends and he offered me a laming ton cake with my coffee. I said yes. But then he left them on the table. They were just staring at me daring me to take another. I had by this time already told my friend my strategy and eventually we got the cakes taken off the table. I said i couldn't concentrate on anything else lol.

I wondered how i would go after that but given that i was on plan, i felt great and didn't regret my choice and didn't feel tempted to go and eat more. Had the feeling arisen, i would have done my best to squash the thought immediately. One can not play with that sort of feeling and hold the line.

A few days later i was another another friends place and again out came the chocolate coated biscuits. I actually chose the one in the wrapper that i would normally never go for but my father was eating one and it looked quite good. it was ok and i didn't want another one but looking at them all on the table was still a bother so again i told about my weight loss plan and how those cakes were giving me a hard time. AGain i got them removed from the table.

I just don't like having the stuff around. I find it painful. At home my father eats sweets and ice-cream. Luckily he has his own fridge and we do separate food. But i avoid looking at him and his food when its about the sweet stuff. I just don't want the stuff in my mind, let alone my body. Talking about it like this doesn't bother me because its quite abstract now. But describing the food is not so good. I want it all to disappear off the face of the earth. But it won't so i have to strengthen my resolve and build in strategies to avoid it and minimise the risk to my weightloss plans.

Eating sugar causes sugar cravings. Losing a lot of weight can cause them too. Try to eat something else in stead but match the food to the s strength of your craving. A carrot will not satisfy a rampant desire for it. Eat something with fat in it but try to make sure its got protein and vegetables and is not junkie like a bought hamburger or other crap food.

In the book i've been reading she talks about the hunger we get from weightloss as a famine reaction. There are pretty sound theoretical reasons for this. The body knows when we've lost a lot of fat and tries to make us put it on again because it doesn't know you are on a diet. It thinks you are facing starvation. (its an evolutionary adaptation). So she recommends eating to satiety until it passes. If you eat good wholesome food, she says this will get you out of the famine reaction. She says its unlikely you will put on much weight, certainly less than if you go bonkers on your binge foods. After a while your body will apply the fat brake. It will try to reign in your appetites and help you lose the weight again.

That is all a very brief and incomplete explanation. I am currently giving it a try. YOu can read more about in a book called The Don't go Hungry diet. I think understanding how Leptin and other hormones impact on appetite and weight gain/loss will help you make better choices.

Its possible that seratonin is also triggering your appetite for sweets. So check out the articles on these compounds on the nutrition wonderland website.

Read the fibre one too and see how it can help you combat your problem more effectively. Fibre, fat (good fats) and protein all can make you feel full and satisfied. I also find a little dry wine helps deal with sugar cravings quite well. (I had them once on this diet when i was under pressure and struggling).
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good for you for stocking up on good stuff! Maybe, until you're almost to goal, you'll just have to accept to reject ALL sugar or sweets..it was sweet that you made husband a wonderful ice cream cake but the temptation! and CONGRATS on what you've lost already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
he offered me a laming ton cake with my coffee.
I just only yesterday learned what that is, from a Canadian lady who has a baking site (they sound FABULOUS )
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #8  
banned

Vermont, don't even think about it. :-) Yes they are nice but in the end, its just another cake. And seeing that one came from the supermarket brand, it was probably made with industrial vegetable oil which i am now convinced is not a good healthy food product.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Vermont, don't even think about it. :-) Yes they are nice but in the end, its just another cake. And seeing that one came from the supermarket brand, it was probably made with industrial vegetable oil which i am now convinced is not a good healthy food product.
Oh absolutely, that oil is so modified it is so bad for us..and we should save special splurges on foods that are homemade, definitely
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #10  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
Oh absolutely, that oil is so modified it is so bad for us..and we should save special splurges on foods that are homemade, definitely
COMPLETELY agree!
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #11  

This is all SO true! It really is an addiction, I think. I used to go to OA (Overeaters Anonymous) and several of the people there abstained from what they called "Big Sugar" - the pastries, cookies, etc. They would still have sugar in coffee or the natural sugar in fruit. For me, I don't know if that's a sustainable plan. I love to bake, and I love my sweets. For a while I was successful at having one controlled serving a week, but that always gets shot during holiday/birthday seasons. Well, now I have no excuse. No big "food" holidays until fall (Anniversary/Halloween/etc.). I'm going back to my strict "one serving a week". One day down!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

For the occasional splurge (or your once-a-week serving), you could try small-batch or even single-serving baking. That way it's OK if you eat it all. I really like the blog Chocolate Covered Katie for single-serving dessert recipes. They're "healthy" desserts, too -- still a treat and still have sugar, but healthier than most.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #13  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
For the occasional splurge (or your once-a-week serving), you could try small-batch or even single-serving baking. That way it's OK if you eat it all. I really like the blog Chocolate Covered Katie for single-serving dessert recipes. They're "healthy" desserts, too -- still a treat and still have sugar, but healthier than most.
This is what I do once a week (make a single serving dessert). I've learned how to adjust recipes so that I never have any leftovers that will sit in the frig staring at me.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #14  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances123 View Post
This is all SO true! It really is an addiction, I think. I used to go to OA (Overeaters Anonymous) and several of the people there abstained from what they called "Big Sugar" - the pastries, cookies, etc. They would still have sugar in coffee or the natural sugar in fruit. For me, I don't know if that's a sustainable plan. I love to bake, and I love my sweets. For a while I was successful at having one controlled serving a week, but that always gets shot during holiday/birthday seasons. Well, now I have no excuse. No big "food" holidays until fall (Anniversary/Halloween/etc.). I'm going back to my strict "one serving a week". One day down!
I actually find it easier to lose my taste for sugar if i don't have sugar in my tea and coffee. It doesn't take long to get used to . I use fresh whole milk in my tea and coffee. If i was putting the junk that some americans seem to use in my coffee, i would probably not like it either.

Why do you guys use that creamer stuff? I find it gross. What's wrong with milk? I can't get my head around it.

I quite love to bake but just being around this stuff makes me want to stick it all in my mouth. I can't see how one can fight off a battle with sugar when that is still permitted.

Ok if you are able to do it no more than once a week, you might thane a chance, but i've never been able to have restricted quantities like that. For me its like trying to cut down smoking which by now everyone should know just makes it harder.

Anyway that's just me. I certainly have no trouble now living without sugar. Of course there is a mental adjustment involved and that takes a little time to develop the commitment. And it will never happen if you don't ever feel the need to make the decision to quit.

It is sort of frightening to think i would never have another ice-cream, cake or biscuit again so i have an out clause. I can have it when out and someone offers it to me. But just one serve.

I'm going to endeavour to avoid it at xmas except for at most a xmas pudding or cake serve. Taht's it. More than that will bring the house of cards down i think.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

No doubt, sugar (or rice, potatoes, wheat) switches something on in my brain that I have a hard time switching off!! When I make "sweets" I use stevia or truvia and almond flour or flax meal. For whatever reason those don't cause me to binge.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote