Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Really bad knee pain from arthritis (Osteo)!

I was very enthusiastic about my weight loss journey for the past 2 1/2 months. I have lost 22 lbs so far... I've been walking at the treadmill for the predominant part... Now suddenly this Monday, after normal walking, I had terrible left knee pain. I know I have Osteo Arthritis but I thought walking at the treadmill was a low-impact activity that I can continue to do for the weight loss. I gave full rest yesterday without any exercise and felt healed this morning, and then again I tried walking at the treadmill.. it went well for 1/2 hr and then suddenly... a terrible pain at the left knee! After that I've been unable to walk normally and it pains terribly on the left knee for each and every step! I don't know what exercises I would do to continue my weight loss journey further.. rather does anyone think I would be able to walk on treadmill after the current pain heals completely... say after a week or 2? Anyone has any advice for me?
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #2  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

I have severe arthritis in both knees and just completed arthroscopy surgery.

The best thing to do is to find a good orthopedic physician and request an MRI. There may be more going on with your knee than you realize. In addition to arthritis, I had a torn miniscus, a sprained ligament and some other cartilage damage, that happened when I exercised. Your doctor will know how to proceed from there.

While my arthroscopy helped a lot, it didn't solve all of the pain from arthritis. I now take anti-inflammatory medication and Tylenol, ice my knee periodically, and wear a knee brace. Eventually, I may need a knee replacement.

My doctor emphasized the importance of weight loss to relieve pressure on the knees. For every one pound of weight lost, that takes four pounds of pressure off of the knee.

I know that what you are going through is very difficult, but a good doctor is the best place to start.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. I am sending you hugs and wishing you the very best.

Last edited by doingmybest; 04-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #3  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

Hi-
I am an RN, and would also recommend seeing an ortho if knee pain does not improve. They have many options from bracing to injections to surgery, depending on what is going on specifically for you!
In the meantime, for a work out, you could try swimming if you can get pool access.
Yogini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #4  

Thank you, friends! Appreciate your guidance. doingmybest, I will keep posting what happens next with my knee -- I am hoping to take some sound rest period and then try walking at a slow pace for a short time and increasing it gradually. Thank you for sending me the warmest regards and I convey the same back to you too and wish you good luck with the prospective knee surgery in future. Yogini99, you are right, I should consult an Ortho, there might be some injection to start with that might alleviate this pain a bit. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do not have Osteo Arthritis but four things have helped kick my knee pain and I run most days.

Good running shoes.
Losing weight (it got much better below 200lbs)
Glucosamine chondroitin supplements
And eating lots of oily fish (Omega 3s).

Last edited by IanG; 04-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #6  

Thank you, Ian.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I have occasional knee pain, once it was bad enough that I almost had surgery but I didn't and I'm much better off not having had it. Physical therapy, cortisone shots and swimming seem to help. I agree with the other suggestions, find a good ortho doc and take care.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote