Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - April Fools Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – First walk was under an umbrella, CREDIT moi. It's only slightly slower even though I feel like a Mallard waddling about on shore. The big compromise was to wear my waterproof hat that looks like a forest ranger instead of my comfortable canvas hat that absorbs water and, according to my DW, makes me look homeless and unattended. But boy, does it feel good on my head.

Second walk was with DW to the Japanese Sushi restaurant selected because of a Groupon. (Should there be anyone on the planet spared being in the know, this was a coupon for $21 off the first $42 of a meal for two, making it 'half-price' for the basics.) We both had miso soup then split one appetizer and two entrees. Wish I'd remember to have miso soup more often - it's so good, so filling, and so low calorie. (OK, and soooooo high in salt, LOL.) CREDIT moi for eating on plan for the day and Extra CREDIT moi for five months of contiguous days of no extra snacks.

beginnedagin (onebyone) – Super Kudos for starting yesterday instead of putting it off until the first day of the month. That's such a show of taking it seriously. Seems right to me to focus on the plan and to let your body do its thing - it'll get the message in its own good time.

nationalparker – Yay for weather warm enough to remove your shrubs. My take is that few folks can listen to any concern about weight without thinking it obsessive - unless they've signed up in a place designated for that, like 3FC or Weight Watchers or TOPS. People seem more open to hearing discussion about chasing all nutrition for the day or something like that.

ForMyGirls - It's neat that you can go a month staying mindful of your eating even if not closely monitoring. Kudos for getting back to "do I really need that."

Tricia (AZtricia) - Love the thought of you chasing your DS around the slides - can well understand why that's on your Advantages Response Card.

6crowsgold - Welcome temperature above 55 degrees. Kudos for a weekend on plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

You'll continue to plan and monitor your eating in writing every day for many weeks and months, possibly until you've lost all the weight you want - and maybe even beyond.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 135.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Work day never seemed to end for me yesterday. Issues arose and I was on my computer until 9:30 last night. Ran a bath and went to bed. I was mentally tired. DH was irritated I was working so late. Or that is my perception. He even turned off the bedroom light before I even got in there. Hm. So I laid in bed, tossing and turning - or trying to - quitely. Worrying about my Dad, who starts his chemo today. I said I suspect he was laying awake as well - much like the night before he went to Viet Nam or shipped out on any of his other many deployments. The unknown.

I am very unsettled today. The only thing that's keeping me from taking a cookie that is in a box on a cabinet down the hall is that there are people there. If it was deserted, I'd sneak that for WHAT??? ARGH. Confession is good for the soul, though, I hear.

Bill, your walks sound wonderful - even in the rain. I appreciate your insight. I think some times I need to shut my trap - but often it's: Me: oh, no thank you - i've already had my snack. Him: It's only 200 calories! Me: 200 calories is a big chunk of my day. Him: You obsess on it.

I'm aiming to get out early today and spend some time with DH. Thought about sending him an edible fruit arrangement as a "thank you" for patience... but they're expensive for just us. Maybe I just come up with a plan for tonight and surprise him with something different for us...
Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

April Already!

Yesterday I went over my plan. At the end of the evening we got a dismal email from school about my son's behavior that day [he's a first grader] that upset the whole family. I had an off-plan serving of tortilla chips [I actually did measure them], then caught myself going for the flour tortillas [deadly temptation for me]. Partway through the tortilla I managed to put on the brakes by thinking about all the hard work I put in for my weight loss in March.

I logged my 281 calories over limit and went to bed, no further damage. The good part here is that I have been known to consume 8 of those yummy little beggars while in this same frame of mind. Last night was actually an improvement I can credit to Beck.

Today is my Tuesday fast. Very easy so far today. Ellipticated standing up for 20 min.

BBE I have a kayak hat that I love for rainy walks. It's bright, seafaring yellow and I love it.

AZTricia My 7yr old is also what motivates me to step up the pace. There are just times when I need to keep up with him physically.

nationalparker I often hear that "obsessive" term slung around. My answer to that is "I prefer to think of it as focus, as in focusing on a solution"!

Have a great evening, everyone!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-01-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #5  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,

Day 7 with no loss, but I can tell I'm still haning onto some water cause my ring is tighter than normal. Looking forward to the scale showing some results! Making whole wheat pasta with marinara, broccoli, and spiced grass fed beef (from our 1/2 cow) for dinner.

Today is OP for food and exercise.

BillBlueEyes Credit for walking in the rain, I can't imagine a soggy hat being comfortable or attractive so I would agree with your dw. Wow for five months!!! Huge kudos!!

nationalparker Bummer that you had such a late night. Hope your dad's first chemo day progresses well and with no issues. I think my response to your dh about the food thing would be, "Thanks for thinking of me, I appreciate you! I don't need one right now (smile). How about I join you with a cup of tea (water...)." He probably doesn't care if you have a cookie, but guys like "doing things" together and he'd likely appreciate your presence/attention. I do usually sit w/ dh while he eats/snacks he says he is energized by my presence...whatever works!

6crowsgold Just SO awesome that you managed to put on the brakes and make the wise choice to stop. Even better is it has not de-railed you today. Keeping up with those kiddos is very motivating! My guys 15,13, & 8 go 100 mph!

Last edited by AZtricia; 04-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up day 2/10(1)

Coaches

A successful day 1 yesterday and day 2 today. Ready to go to bed soon so I am checking in here. I had the choice to have a second(s) at dinner and Dh and I discussed that and we both decided to stick with the one thing. That was good. No exercise to report, but my 10 day reset will re-introduce that soon enough so I a not sweating it.

Off to bed. Need to make big progress tomorrow on my next print submission.

Have a good night.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Still here coaches!

So my great 10 day burst of being on plan crashed and burned for a bit but am back at it as of yesterday. I am determined for April. What can I say? Maybe one day I will figure this out. Reading your posts always gives me hope. Thanks for that all of you.

Credit today for:
-checking in with my coaches
-reading advantage and response cards
-starting a new food journal and making a list of what I want to do most days (am not shooting for perfection)
-writing down food and calories as I ate them
-doing arm/shoulder exercises

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.

nationalparker- hope your dad did OK today and hope you get some rest tonight.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday night

Happy April Coaches

I got distracted last night and then it was too late to post - I had an over calorie day yesterday but it is what I had planned to eat - I just miscalculated. Steps yesterday were almost 10,000 and high active minutes. I was at the desk a lot but kept moving.

I have ordered Diet Fix from the Book Depository - not available anywhere in Australia. I heard that it has been shipped so should get it in a few days and I am keen to make time to read it. A bit of inspiration and further guidance will be good. Today is my first 'fast' day on the 5:2 diet. It has been interesting as very like the hunger experiment of Beck. It was quite freeing knowing that I had no choice - that I had to stick to what I had planned for the day. I even found myself telling myself that I could plan to have chips tomorrow if I wanted them so that was interesting. It will also help me tolerate hunger better. I don't know how 'no choice' is different here than as usual but I am grateful it is sinking in.

Nationalparker - I hope your father and you and your family are OK after the first day of chemotherapy. I hope things went to plan. The port will make it easier but it is a freaky time. Sorry you had to work late and your DH got irritated. Credit for resisting that cookie

6crowsgold - amazing success to nip the flour tortilla in the bud while you were actually eating. That is impressive. We are both fasting on the same time if not day

Tricia - sorry no loss this week! It will happen - I like your confidence in your plan. Dinner sounds delish

Onebyone - credit for 2 days on plan and for not sweating about introducing the plan over time

CeeJay - glad you are back on plan - quickly by the sound of it. Great list of credits

Credits today
Ate on plan today - Yes
Planned food for tomorrow - not yet
I logged food as I ate it - yes
I did planned exercises - walked 8500 and active minutes show that my stride rate is increasing
I didn't eat standing up - Check - except I just realised I was doing it as I was cooking
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
Listened to motivation recording - yes x 3 - and I am enjoying the weightloss hypnotherapy recording
Scheduled time for diet and exercise - gym tomorrow and will plan food in morning
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - International Children's Book Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included organic spinach with the cod fish and sweet potato DW served for dinner. DW is escalating the number of veggies that she buys labeled 'organic.' I'm not a believer that the label guarantees much more than a higher price. Veggies from our Farmers' Market are probably closer to organic because there are some local folks who watch the practices used by the farmers.

Standard walk, CREDIT moi. I ducked into a used stuff place; turned down The Final Days by Bernstein for 25 cents not wishing to relive those times. Was tempted by a neat red necktie with a pattern of white geese thinking that it'd be appreciated by my bird watching friends. Then remembered that I don't wear a tie while out birding so skipped that.

onebyone – Super start for your 30+1 days, "we both decided to stick with the one thing" - great that you have your DH on board.

CeeJay - Kudos for "starting a new food journal" - fresh starts renew the soul.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Interesting that "'no choice' is different here than as usual" - maybe there's some secret magic in this Beck stuff. Impressive that the Book Depository gets a book from the UK to Australia in just a few days. Thank you Wright brothers.

nationalparker – Hope chemo went OK with your dad yesterday; it's touching that you were able to put yourself into his thinking. Kudos for thinking of your DH's feelings even as you're deep into your own.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Continue to believe that grass fed makes a difference in beef - Kudos for making that investment as well as for OP for the day.

6crowsgold - Super Kudos for "I managed to put on the brakes" - such a good message to the brain that you're taking this seriously. Good luck dealing with your son's school. You've reminded me of the notorious day in my life when a note came from my DD's first grade copied to four sets of parents. Seems that my sweet, darling, innocent, precious DD was the gang leader. She's now in graduate school so know that awkward starts can work out.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Okay, I can almost hear your sabotaging thoughts. Writing a plan and monitoring what you eat is the single task the people I've counseled have most often resisted. You might be thinking the same kinds of things they've said to me, such as:
  • I don't really have to do that, do I?
  • It's so much trouble. I don't want to do it.
  • That means I can't just eat whatever I feel like eating.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 135.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning!

Yesterday my fast went exactly OP. My last meal was a half cup of black beans mixed into a big bowl of steamed broccoli. Sure tastes great when you're fasting! They get easier as I go.

Today I've already logged 10 min standing elliptication and there is a plan.

AZtricia: 7 days OP with no loss = Whoosh on it's way, hang on tight!

onebyone: Walking away from dinner#2 is a huge credit!

CeeJay: We figure it out as we go--your best move is getting back on track as soon as you could-Kudos!

GosfordGirl: I hope your fast went well. One thing I depend on now is the fact that the hunger sensation isn't permanent, it comes in waves then goes away whether you eat or not.

BBE: Thrift shops are a favorite hunting ground for DH, DS, and me. I would've grabbed the tie for my son!

Best wishes for an OP day!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #11  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Plans are always changing these days. Dad's chemo wasn't able to take place as his lung had refilled with fluid, so they are inserting a catheter today to help that drain and will reschedule the chemo asap as soon as this is set. I feel so bad for him; my brother said Dad is being very stoic. Thankful I'll be there in just over two weeks to assist. Sister arrived yesterday there, along with her plans to return in June with a puppy she'll be getting. Yes, you read right. WHAT THE HE**? Why not just then add an infant to the mix as well. I will talk to her again, but that was her focus when she was talking to mom and my brother... She makes the most offbase decisions and I struggle with that. Brother was VERY hiked up over it, as I was. I said I'll deal with this one thing - he has everything else on his plate. I'll give it a few days for her to grasp the issues there and then talk with her to assume that she now realizes that is not a wise decision. And the bottom line is - she doesn't even HAVE THIS PUPPY YET.

Whew - can you tell that got me aggravated? Mom cannot get around without a walker, Dad is VERY weak. They love my dog, who is 5, and VERY calm (we're thinking of working through the process for her to be a therapy dog, but not adding that to the plate right now) ... but I even debated on bringing her with me next time because she just sits with them and they like that. No jumping, no peeing, no barking, no crazy puppy zooms (unless i bathe her or play wild with her and I wouldn't do that there)... but I decided that would not be the best choice, and will decide after this visit.

Okay, a long deep breath and that's out of my mind. Sorry for venting for so long here. DH and I went to see The Grand Budapest Hotel and it was quirky/funny. Out to dinner to an Italian place and enjoyed it immensely. Did well, and DH is taking my leftovers today, so I was able to limit it to one meal. Um ... i just looked up the calories and I didn't do so well. Scale reverb expected in a day or so, I suspect. Hm.

Activity has just been nil lately. NIL.

My "lift" for the workday yesterday was that I received a thank you note for a thank you note I'd written/mailed. I'm the one who WILL write when I'm frustrated by service, but also, and more often, I write when I'm pleased with service, even if it's just steady good service and nothing out of the ordinary. A few years ago I received a rebate from my insurance company and called to thank them - it arrived at such a welcome time. They were shocked someone call to thank them. But heck - I WAS thankful!

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-02-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #12  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool backing it up

Coaches

I realized today that I didn't complete day 2 so I have to take it back and do it over but I didn't do it so far today either so it'll be a day 2 again tomorrow. That's ok. I'll get it done and then on to day 3 and etc.

I've been coming up with potential ideas for my submission and I'm about 70% of the way there. My design is based on the horror/science fiction comics of the 40's and 50's and while they look familiar to me and I can see the major design elements, well creating one is another thing. I am sticking with it though cause it'll be great when I finish and whether the jury for this event accepts me or not I am using these designs for the coming year or so. It'd just be great to have a piece done at a public printmaking event vs. in the solitary space which is my studio. So, none of this work is lost or for nothing, it'll all be used but I still have a deadline to submit something good and I want to have that in on Friday aka early. My ceramic guild friend and I are driving to Waterloo on Saturday morning for an image transfer workshop! This is what I was going to teach at our ceramic guild so it'll be good to see how someone structures this event. I will be learning stuff I don't know so that's exciting and whatever is a refresher is welcome. I think I even know the teacher as I believe he taught the kids ceramics in the summer at the school of art when I was there. We'll see as I will definitely ask him.

And none of this is about Beck is it? Sorry. I *credit* checked in, tracked and planned my food-except for two snacks. Back on track for dinner though. I will visit my gym tonight and re-arrange my workouts re: the trainer, basically postponing them for a month or two. My next goal is to follow a rudimentary workout schedule that actually fits into my week.

nationalparker Sorry to read of the complications for your dad's treatment. Also sorry to read that your sister is complicating things. I know sisters who do that kind of thing as well. Wishing you success in your upcoming communications with her, and sending you a that you even have to do that at this time. You have a lot going on. You're doing really well. LOVE that you send thank you notes and that you spread cheer and good wishes into the world. You never know what this means to someone else. That is truly fantastic. I thank *you* for doing that.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Taking some credit today for a few things:

-checking in with my coaches
-packing lunch and dinner for tomorrow (hotel night)
-making sure to eat protein with each meal and snack

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #14  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches,

Another OP day w/o loss. But I can only fail if I give up, so instead I walked 2 miles did my DVD, walked pup and stayed OP for food. Hoping for a friendly scale tomorrow. Oh, and we didn't have pizza today because ds wants it for his b-day party Saturday. I think next time we will just have it twice! Today was way more stressful than I needed it to be!

onebyone Hurray for two good days and flexibility to keep up. Kudos for visiting the gym and planning a schedule that works for you.

CeeJay Great job being "back at it" after a slip. Determined is good! I have to have protien with each meal too.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for all those steps and movement. Hope that your day after fast is OP!

BillBlueEyes Mmmm, love sweet potato!

6crowsgold Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear your fasting is going well.

nationalparker Oh, how hard, to have to wait again. Your sister sounds very hard to deal with. I hope you persuade her to give up the puppy idea!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday evening

Good evening coaches

Today has been a planned and on plan day. I went to gym as planned and I ate on plan. As it was the day after a fast day I wasn't sure if I would go off plan but I didn't. This morning my weight was way down (a bit under ticker) but I am sure it will be back up tomorrow after a normal day today.

I have organised the veggie drawer and organised that part of food. I tried ocean trout yesterday for the first time and it was fabulous (and healthy). Not sure why I haven't tried it before. It is on my list of go to food. I didn't want to go to gym today as it was an opportunity to get more work done but I made myself go and did a good work out

Credits today
Ate on plan today - Yes
Planned food for tomorrow - not yet
I logged food as I ate it - yes
I did planned exercises - walked 8100 so far with 12 active minutes. Gym doesn't seem to register on fitbit
I didn't eat standing up - 80%
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2 - haven't done the weight-loss hypnotherapy recording yet and forgot it last night
Scheduled time for diet and exercise - YES

BillBE - Cod, sweet potato and spinache sounds like my kind of meal. Farmers markets are great if the folk are trying to implement sustainable practices. Some of them don't know the provenance of their food though - not a good sign. Your tie could be shown off at 'bird watcher" afternoon teas perhaps?

6crowsgold - Credit for "exactly on plan". Your fast meal sounds great. I am off legumes or I would add it to the list of possible meals. Elliptication while working sounds great - what happens when you get too pooped to keep moving? I guess you can sit or stand?

Nationalparker - shame your dad didn't get to get-over the first treatment - put that behind him (and the rest of you). Your sister seems a little self-absorbed. Maybe she hasn't really thought of the implications of a zipping dog tripping up someone in a zimmer frame. If it is an unusual or popular breed she may already have ordered it and be waiting for it to be weened. It is terrific that you send thank you cards and that you appreciate good service - I am glad that they recognised that as unusual and sent you a thank you

Onebyone - YAY for one day done and I hope you successfully get through day 2 tomorrow. Sounds like your submission is shaping up. Credit for planning gym and making a schedule that fits your needs

Ceejay - wishing you a successful road trip and hotel stay - must be disrupting and disorganising to your plan. Have a great tomorrow yourself!

Tricia - I know what being on plan and not having a loss feels like so I truly empathise. I think you are fantastic to stay absolutely on plan under the circumstances. The fall will follow soon
Closed Thread