View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Heather

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Let's play nice and not get a flame war going, peeps. Remember it's not just what you say, it's mostly how you say it.

If there is a statistic that only 5% of people are successful at calorie counting I'd want to know two things:
1) What defines success? Does it include a time frame? Amount of weight kept off?

2) Using the same criteria and methods, what % of people are successful on low carb programs? I suspect it might be equally low for a variety of reasons. Among them, lots of people try different weight loss method and leave the ones that don't work for them. Many try calorie counting and it doesn't work for them. Many try low carb and it doesn't work for them. Another reason has to do with how our hormones change once we become obese and seems to make it easier for us to regain later. A third reason would be that keeping up with ANY method of eating over time is difficult at best.

For full disclosure, I lost 125 pounds calorie counting 9 years ago, but have regained more than 1/2 of it. Is that a success or not?

I also believe in a plurality of weight loss methods. And I do know that when I cut sugar out my cravings are reduced, but I haven't been able to keep it up indefinitely.

My 5 C's of healthy living: Commitment to conscious control, with the understanding that choices have consequences