Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #1  

Default Loose Skin After Losing Weight??

I've lost about 80 lbs in the last 14 months through exercise and eating better. I have about 30 more pounds to lose in order to reach my goal weight. However, I still feel rather self conscious about the loose skin on my stomach and my thighs. Will this skin eventually tighten up? Are their ways to help with the process? Or am I stuck considering cosmetic surgery if I want this skin to look like normal? I'm 23 and relatively healthy, I just thought this skin would slowly tighten since I'm losing weight at a healthy rate. The only information I can find about loose skin after weight loss is for those who had surgery and dropped a lot of weight extremely quickly.
RaeRae718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It can take 2-3 years for skin to shrink up first of all. Second, a lot depends on genetics. Some people have better luck than others. Age also plays a factor, diet, smoking, etc. And, perhaps, length of time you've been obese can maybe factor in. Basically, you can't know yet, but....

FOR SURE you look tons better and are tons healthier 80 pounds lighter and it probably bothers you more than it bothers anyone else. We are our own worst critics!

So... relax, dress for your new body and give it time.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #3  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

With that significant amount of weight loss I would guess that no, it won't totally look "normal" as you say. You may experience some improvement but skin only stretches so far and is able to then bounce back. I recall reading once that anything more than a 50lbs weight loss will likely leave some loose skin in most people, but I don't remember where I read that. Again, this is all my opinion and I am no kind of expert.

There are LOTS of folks here who've had tummy tucks though, so if you decide to go that route you can get lots of info about it here on 3FC from the one's who've been through it.

Last edited by MauiKai; 04-12-2014 at 04:42 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #4  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I've lost 100 lbs and I still have about 15 to lose. When I first started seeing loose skin, I was worried that I'd end up looking like crap. But the more weight I lose, the better it gets.

I've read that it's not really the skin but the fat that gives that appearance. Empty skin is as thin as the skin under your eyelids. The skin that you grab elsewhere, is actually fat. Apparently, if you end up with less than 20% fat, you won't have any of it. I can't say that it's true or that I'm willing to lose enough weight to see it but my progress so far seems to support that theory.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #5  
Skinny chick

The longer I keep the weight off, the more my skin tightens up.
And I am more than twice your age!
I do exercise every day. And I give a lot of credit to Jillian Michaels and her videos for helping me tone and tighten.

Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Another way to help with the appearance of your body during weight loss is toning/strength training.

I don't know how you are accomplishing your weight loss, but if you aren't doing strength training you might consider that as a way to help make skin look better.

Anyways, congratulations on your weight loss and all your hardwork!
grinchygirl is offline   Reply With Quote