Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #1  

Default Feel like I'm killing myself with food:(

Hi guys, sorry for the depressing title, but that sums up how I feel and what I'm doing to myself right now.

Today I started off with melon with fat free natural yoghurt and a weetabix.

Brilliant!

Lunch was two small turkey salad sandwiches.

Once again brilliant.

Then it just went down hill. Six two finger kitkats, two bags of crisps and a chocolate pudding.

I am doing something like this every single day. Sometimes I don't even get past breakfast without a binge.

Needless to say my weight is on the up, no idea what I weigh right now, but it's probably the heaviest I've ever been. Plan on weighing tomorrow to see what the damage is.

I am 50 and I believe starting the menopause. The mood swings are the biggest problem and I think this is what is leading me to binge, or maybe I'm making excuses.

No idea what I'm asking, just needed to get it out if you know what I mean.

I guess any tips on breaking the destructive habits would be appreciated.
BritChick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritChick63 View Post
Hi guys, sorry for the depressing title, but that sums up how I feel and what I'm doing to myself right now.

Brilliant!

Once again brilliant.

Then it just went down hill. Six two finger kitkats, two bags of crisps and a chocolate pudding.

I am doing something like this every single day. Sometimes I don't even get past breakfast without a binge.

Needless to say my weight is on the up, no idea what I weigh right now, but it's probably the heaviest I've ever been. Plan on weighing tomorrow to see what the damage is.

I am 50 and I believe starting the menopause. The mood swings are the biggest problem and I think this is what is leading me to binge, or maybe I'm making excuses.

I have the same problem as you. That is why I can't lose weigh for 10 years. I will be good until afternoon came when I am tired, or hang out with friends and my caution flew out the window. Then it's all you can drink starbucks, chocolate, and everything else. I am trying to break my habit right now going on a green smoothie diet. People said it is not healthy, but for temporary, my body get rid of the junk, and I don't feel like eating junk anymore. If you cannot do that, then maybe carrying snack with you ? Or have a small soup (chicken noodle soup is low in calories). I found that eating soup stop me from feeling like binging
KitKat85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #3  

I would binge if I ate fat free yogurt, weetabix, and melon for breakfast. I really doubt that that's what you want to eat for breakfast each morning. Have you tried eating foods that you enjoy but in smaller portions?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #4  

Quote:

I doubt it's your mood swings. It's more likely the restrictions you are placing on yourself that are causing the binges.

Restriction almost inevitably leads to overeating.

I know well the practice you're describing. I've been there, done that.

That's why I no longer diet. Once I stopped dieting, I stopped gaining weight. And I think I may have dropped a couple of pounds, but I don't know for sure, since I no longer weigh myself.

I say that because my clothes are a bit looser and I feel lighter and more energetic.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I would binge if I ate fat free yogurt, weetabix, and melon for breakfast. I really doubt that that's what you want to eat for breakfast each morning. Have you tried eating foods that you enjoy but in smaller portions?
So would I. That's why I'm eating an English muffin, scrambled eggs, and jam for breakfast - whenever I finally decide to go downstairs and fix it. I'm hungry enough to eat, but not so hungry that I need to stop what I'm doing to do so.

I never eat anything I don't want to eat. I do love yogurt & melon (have no idea what weetabix is) and if that's what I really craved you better believe that's what I'd be eating...but until that desire presents itself, I'll eat what it is I want at the moment I get hungry.

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 04-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:

Brilliant!

Once again brilliant.

hi brit girl.

I think weight loss success has a lot more going on than just what your eat. You don't say enough for me to be sure but one of the things that think causes these false starts is low seratonin. So read the article in nutrition wonderland website about seratonin to get a sense of where i am coming from on this. You will probably need to read it twice but its full of information that if you can take it in will help you in the long run.

Its really late for me right and i should be in bed so i'm getting tired. Otherwise i'd say a lot more. But you will no doubt read my take on these things around the traps if you stay cause i write the same things over and over.

But you can take a look at my blog in the link below for understand about what i'm doing and why its working. Some of it may register with you and some of it may not. Take what you find useful. I do modify somethings a little bit along the way. I always do that. For instance i now eat more protein than at the start and i don't find that too easy.

btw i'm also 50 but not yet at menopause. I have a theory that antidepressants might help with it because i am taking them but my sister is not and she has been going through a rough menopause for a couple of years. My turn might come later but i also remember years ago when i started on Ads that it is helpful for people who get strong PMS.

btw when i'm not on a diet, i just about only eat junk like you described. I don't even want to cook or eat vegetables when i'm in that frame of mind and so i put on weight really quickly when i let myself go.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:

Brilliant!

Once again brilliant.

Sounds like you're almost existing on carbs and sugar. That is almost for sure going to trigger a binge behavior.

Breakfast is fruit (sugar) yogurt (probably has sugar, yes?) and a whatever that is, which sounds like a granola bar-ish thing. So pretty much all carbs and sugar and no fats. Breakfast should contain good protein, which the yogurt may have some, and some fat. Why not eat scrambled eggs or oatmeal with peanut butter etc? If you can eat those foods, try it. See if it holds you over better.

You should probably also hit a mid morning snack, like half an apple with some nut butter.

Lunch you say is two turkey salad sandwiches. That sounds like a lot of bread for a lunch, and turkey "salad" probably means there is mayo or some sort of sauce? Also not necessarily good depending on how it's made. Most sauces have carbs and sugar in them along with fat. Some fat is ok, but again, it depends on the amount and type. Where were the veggies? I wouldn't count some celery mixed into the turkey salad myself. You need fiber!

What are you drinking?

Last edited by MauiKai; 04-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd agree with what's been said. You might try adding protein to your breakfast. Really, eggs are not that high in calories and, if you don't have cholesterol issues, it is a great way to start the day. Ham is also good for being low in calories. You might give it a try!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #9  

For those of you who have asked Weetabix is a cereal wafer sort of like shredded wheat.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Just to echo what everyone else is saying; you're not eating enough fat, enough protein or enough FOOD! Try an omlette with mushroom, cheese and some green veg for breakfast and you won't need two sandwiches at lunchtime. Swap the sandwiches for a big turkey salad with some cream cheese and you won't be so hungry that you're snorting Kitkats in the afternoon.

I know that it works for some folks but I find the whole low fat/high carb tyhing is a bit like swimming underwater, nice while it lasts but sooner or later you have to come up for air/chocolate.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #11  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

^ I agree with what you said about low fat. I don't touch low fat products. I lose weight with ease and most successfully when I have enough fat in my diet. Last year when I almost hit goal, my gym coach could not believe that my health assessment was so perfect and the pounds were flying off with the percentage of fat I ate on a daily basis. No less than 35% as part of my daily calories. I like to stay around 35%-38% fat calories. NEVER had a problem losing weight at that range.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #12  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You've gotten lots of good nutritional advice so I won't add to that. Just wanted to say that I am also 50 and have been in menopause for two years and the time leading up to it (perimenopause) was very difficult for me in terms of food so I understand that part of it.

The mood swings, depression and junk food cravings were really rough. I'm a maintainer so I had to be really careful not to give in or it would have been so easy to regain.

Hope things get better for you!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
You might try adding protein to your breakfast.
I definitely agree. I think others in this thread have suggested it as well.

What I've learned about myself (you may be different) is that it's not so much the carbs I have with meals that cause me to get hungry sooner, it's the lack of protein. I can eat a substantial breakfast that's more than 50% carbs, but if I have a good serving of protein as well it will hold me for 8-10 hours before hunger starts. In fact, this is often what I do, if my schedule permits. Then I have a very light meal in the evening, if at all. Sometimes I never get hungry again during the day if I eat enough at my mid-morning breakfast.

Just make sure you're nice and hungry when you eat it (or anything else). If you're not hungry, there's just no point in eating, is there?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
I can eat a substantial breakfast that's more than 50% carbs, but if I have a good serving of protein as well it will hold me for 8-10 hours before hunger starts.
I've found the same thing. If I eat a breakfast burrito with eggs, meat, and potatoes then I won't have to eat lunch. If I have a bagel with cream cheese I will be hungry in 3-4 hours. The most obvious reason is that the burrito has probably about twice the calories of the bagel, but there's also much less protein and fat even with the cheese spread. Sometimes I want a lighter breakfast and go with the bagel, other times I was something substantial that will keep me full for a long time. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Sorry maui, carbs by themselves do not cause a binge. this is extreme misinformation! It is not the carbs! Especially not the carbs found in fruit and natural yoghurt. Natural yoghurt does not usually contain added sugars.

It is far more likely to be due to an other factor. I know this because, apart from a lot of other things and experiences, a lot of the early part of my diet was similar to what the OP was eating, and did not cause a binge. And never does when i'm am on a diet.

Its always the mental stuff that seems to cause a binge, unless i eat a trigger food which causes me to want more but not a binge in normal circumstances. The binge will come when my hormones are out of balance - e.g. i am stressed, depressed, or have been eating badly for a while or if i get too hungry. That is all mental stuff that helps cause hormone imbalances and or cause some bad food choices, but now binge per se.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote