View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
canadjineh

S/C/G: 163/131/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Some more ideas for you ggbsy:
First - Hugs to you, hang in there, you are doing well and just need a bit of support from us here.

The best idea I have used because I am NOT a morning person is to prepare everything the evening before.
Lay out the clothes you will wear, make your lunch & put it in the fridge ready to grab & go.
Eat breakfast earlier - this is a must (I used to puke if I ate breakfast before 10:30 - yes actual nausea) - you can slowly retrain yourself. Either have a protein based smoothie for breakfast as you commute or just start eating your regular breakfast 1/2 hr. earlier, moving it up every 3 or 4 days until you are eating on your commute, or better for you, eating at home before you leave. Change the lunchtime in accord with new breakfast times and same for dinner. Yes, have the healthy snacks - they are important to keep your blood sugars level during the day & help reduce ravenous hunger.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT eat dinner in bed - set yourself up a lovely placemat at the table with proper cutlery, stemware etc and concentrate on your dinner. Really taste it, do not do anything else like read or watch TV. Set your fork down between bites and close your eyes once in a while and breathe. Right now you are telling your body that going to bed means TV & food and etc, etc 'activity, not sleep.' Keep your phone out of your bedroom - its light WILL affect your sleep patterns.

I used to eat late at night too, while reading or watching TV, but found changing up my mealtimes told my body that my day started earlier and ended earlier. I have a bedtime ritual now... no TV, computer or phone for 1 hour before bed - blue light keeps our mind active. I usually read something and listen to music - not on Kindle, etc lol. Paper based. I have a cup of herbal tea - I like Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime and Tension Tamer, but you could have whatever as long as it doesn't have caffeine. If I feel like it will be a tough night, I take 3-5 mg of melatonin under my tongue 1 hour before bed - you should check first with your doc/pharmacist to see if it would be OK with your meds. Talk to them about the insomnia and if you can change timing... as others have posted.

Sounds corny, but I try to think of something that I am grateful for or happy about during my pre-bed quiet time, that happened to me or that I witnessed today. It helps me feel less stressed before bed.

Hang on, you are in the midst of big changes, start with a little and concentrate on everything you are doing for your health. Sending positive vibes your way!

Liana

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote