Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #1  

Red face Embarrassed to run outside in my neighborhood!

I am not new to running, however, I was about 2 sizes smaller the last time I went from the treadmill to the road. Now that I've been outside though, I know I love it way more than the treadmill and for me I feel I get a better run and overall workout.

I have enough light now in the AM to get outside and back before hubby leaves and the weather has broke and its not bitterly cold in the AM. I could have ran today, but I did a longer run yesterday (on the tm) and added distance, and I'm feeling wiped and am resting today.

So anyway, starting tomorrow there is no reason not to run outside....
Except...

I'm really embarrassed!!

I don't mind running at the local park which is a 20 minute drive both ways. I don't have time for that before hubby goes to work. I have to run in my neighborhood because of time reasons. Out the door and run. I only have 30 minutes. But I am so embarrassed that a neighbor will see me. I get along with my neighbors. I just feel fat and slow. And I still have to stop and walk sometimes...

I just feel so large to be running...which is nuts...I'm just getting into a size 12, I just feel awkward.

I need to get over this, like now. I have a 5k in a month, and I need to get outside to run. And this is the only way right now to get it done. As it gets lighter earlier, I will have time to drive to the local walking path and run there, but unless I want to wait another month or two for sunrise to be that early, I need to get over my "fear" of running in my neighborhood, like by tomorrow morning...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I used to feel super embarrassed to run outside too, but honestly, I think it's just one of those things you have to push through. After the first five minutes you'll forget about it and things'll be fine. Not to quote commercials or anything, but uh, just DO it. You'll be glad.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're stronger than this fear. I agree with BigChiefHoho (what a name!), if you push through it you'll get over it in a flat second. Pump yourself up with a few good thoughts like "I deserve to run outside, skinny people don't own road running" and "Those people staring only wish they could do what I do." The truth is that nobody is looking at you and nobody is judging you that's the the honest truth. People just don't care at all about you or anyone, I see runners and I have thoughts about them but they have never been negative and after they run by they're totally out of my frame of thought. When I see someone who is not thin I send her good vibes!

Stop worrying about other people and do what you do.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I used to feel the same way. Now i dont care. Im sure there all looking at me saying why is that fat girl running. But this fat girl will get to goal

Dont worry about everyone else. You got this girl
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #5  

Thank you all. This particular insecurity is so odd because generally I'm a very confident person. I know it's rooted in being tortured growing up fat. Exercising while I'm fat is the only thing that opens the door to all those insecure self conscience feelings from my childhood. It's like instantly I'm 13 ears old in gym class getting bullied. Every other piece of me doesn't give a rats butt why people think, so I can't for the life of me figured out why I haven't just gotten ver those feelings already and moved on. I don't dress up and I rarely wear make up, and people can easily be judging me daily for that but I'm just like "you don't like it, don't look"...so why can I not just think that with exercising and being fat??? Oh and I think by like 6:30 the high schoolers are on the bus stop...talk about triggers...I'm going to needs some wine to get through this...if it wasn't 6am I might even do that...

I have to go outside tomorrow. I don't want to think that the only reason I didn't is I'm anticipating someone to yell something at me...the odd part is I such a B, I'd probably stop and tell them off...so idk what I so worried about?? ...I guess it's not a logical worry, it's something unaddressed from my past.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/174/140

Height: 5'5"

I was a 16 when I first started running in my neighborhood (which is where I still run). At first I was really embarrassed, too. It didn't help that about 2 weeks into running, a couple (thin, of course) was sitting on their front porch swing, and the girl pointed at me (really, and I was the only person around) and they both laughed. I ran home and cried.

Thankfully I didn't let them dissuade me. They weren't the ones trying to turn their lives around, and if they can't understand and respect people who are, then they aren't worth my spit.

Now I'm still bigger than I'd like to be but I'm still running. The more you run around the neighborhood the less awkward it gets. I also discovered that I'm not the only overweight gal running! Woohoo!

And if someone yells something at you, you are totally justified in telling them off. (Just remember that you have to live near them!!!) Good luck!
notryonlydoornotdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

I understand.

Frankly i was just very uncomforable running (i'd slow down into a walk if i'd see anyone). There are women who run regardless (it's brilliant) but i never got the courage to do it.

What did work, is that I now run with a partner. And i find that it doesn't even occur to me what anyone else is thinking. Somehow being with a friend makes me not care.

So yes, BigCheifHoho and Wannabeskinny and everyone else is right. The best thing is to just go ahead and do it because you're stronger than you know

But having a friend with me made it easier to be brave. The sad thing is - this just shows that most of the discomfort was actually just in my head.
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

When I was a young girl, my Mom was driving me home in the evening, after dinnertime. It was dark, but not completely yet. We passed a lady, a woman of a certain age, quite overweight, jogging along. I heard my mother quietly say out loud to herself "You go, girl", sympathizing with her, and probably appreciating that the woman was doing something my Mom was too shy for.
Don't be too embarrassed, some people will surprise you.

Last edited by souvenirdarling; 04-15-2014 at 06:50 PM.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I am not new to running, however, I was about 2 sizes smaller the last time I went from the treadmill to the road. Now that I've been outside though, I know I love it way more than the treadmill and for me I feel I get a better run and overall workout.

I have enough light now in the AM to get outside and back before hubby leaves and the weather has broke and its not bitterly cold in the AM. I could have ran today, but I did a longer run yesterday (on the tm) and added distance, and I'm feeling wiped and am resting today.

So anyway, starting tomorrow there is no reason not to run outside....
Except...

I'm really embarrassed!!

I don't mind running at the local park which is a 20 minute drive both ways. I don't have time for that before hubby goes to work. I have to run in my neighborhood because of time reasons. Out the door and run. I only have 30 minutes. But I am so embarrassed that a neighbor will see me. I get along with my neighbors. I just feel fat and slow. And I still have to stop and walk sometimes...

I just feel so large to be running...which is nuts...I'm just getting into a size 12, I just feel awkward.

I need to get over this, like now. I have a 5k in a month, and I need to get outside to run. And this is the only way right now to get it done. As it gets lighter earlier, I will have time to drive to the local walking path and run there, but unless I want to wait another month or two for sunrise to be that early, I need to get over my "fear" of running in my neighborhood, like by tomorrow morning...
There is no need to be embarrassed--you might encourage others in your neighborhood to start exercising and get into shape. Everyone has a different running style and long distance isn't really about speed--it's distance.

Your neighbors won't be there to judge your running style, especially if they don't know anything about running anyway. I have seen all kinds of styles--in marathons and ultra's that my husband runs in. We also runners running by our house everyday.

Just get out there and do it. After the 1st time--the 2nd time will be a breeze., and it won't even cross your mind.

Last edited by Kscott; 04-17-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #10  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

Default I feel you.

I was very embarrassed to run in my neighborhood for a long time (I went far away to the park or to thew gym), but then I got my honey to go with me with a bike so it looked like we're going somewhere and not that I'm exercising. I know it sounds weird, but after two times I tried it on my own wearing a marathon shirt, so people who saw me would think that I already ran a marathon. Today I'm going running in my neighborhood for the 10th time and I feel kinda ok about it. I think to myself that even though I'm overweight, I'm a runner and It's harder for me than for the normal-weight people - which makes me look cool.

However, I still care too much what others think of me and I still sometimes start to go faster if I pass someone - the opposite of maddierep.
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

I completely understand, I used to feel so shy whenever I ran outside. My only advice is remember why you're doing this. There's nothing more admirable than people taking charge of their health. As others have pointed out, if someone sees you, they might be inspired to do the same. And think about when you see people running, I'm sure you don't tell yourself, goodness, this person shouldn't run, what an embarrassment. And plus they might see you for half a second and then forget about it.
Have some great music on and put your hair up in a cute hairstyle. What's important is that you feel amazing after running and have fun doing it.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #12  
Warrior Princess

I sometimes get self conscious at the gym about "what if" certain parts may or may not be jiggling. I don't worry about the neighbors much since I never see a living soul outdoors except an occasional smoker or someone walking a dog. I know the smokers probably think I'm judging them when I run by. Just put on an ipod and zone out. If anyone takes the time to stare at you while running by then they need a hobby. Don't over think. Nobody cares, believe me.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

I have posted this link several times, but I love it. I have gotten the occasional rude comment yelled out the window, but I find myself struggling to care even a little about people who do things like that. I have also gotten kind, supportive comments from neighbors.

Good luck!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/213/130

Height: 5'6"

I can relate. I personally haven't gotten to the comfort level of running in my neighborhood (or anyone's neighborhood for that matter lol), I'm not even comfortable using my condo complex's workout room... yet. I'm not sure at what weight I would feel comfortable doing either, it may be that I live in Vegas and everyone here seems to be tiny, stick figure, barbie dolls... it might just be my own mind re-running the BS that all us bigger gals have running on loops in our heads about being afraid to be taunted, or jiggling body parts, or whatever the case may be. Here's to hoping I get over it at some point.
Kuualoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #15  

I did c25k for the first time in 2003. I was about 170 lbs and 40 yrs old. I didn't want to run on big roads so I ran around the block two blocks over -didn't know a soul. I jogged passed an open garage door (ugh!)....a man was watching me and I felt awkward. If I feel uncomfortable I automatically make a joke, often without engaging my brain. I said...".kind of crazy how slow you can go and still be technically running, right?"
He said"..... you are going faster than I am. I don't see anyone else out on this street passing you either...."

Now, at 50-ish I have been running on and off for years...recently off, and my weight is up about 20 lbs. I live in a half rural area - tract homes and homes with .5 acre parcels and some small fields. I have run this area at 150, 160, 170, 180, and 190. If anybody thought - man she got big-they certainly never told me!!

What I do know is that running keeps me fit and smaller. Not running makes me unfit and bigger. And my stress level shoots up so I drink more beer. Which makes me bigger .... My only problem is NOT running.
Go run!
OK got to go! I am going running!!!
kim150 is offline   Reply With Quote