View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Yep about 1/4 tsp. and look how much weight i've lost since the beginning of January.

this is the first time i've eaten cornflakes on a diet. I just didn't want to eat rolled oats any more!. In my lifetime i've eaten a whole farm of oats and its become boring. Ok!

The cereal the OP is talking about is loaded up with sugar already. Cornflakes while less than perfect is not the same type of food.

Secondly, cereals like cornflakes have added vitamins so on the whole i can't agree that they are bad foods. Just maybe not perfect foods. But i would dis-recommend eating anything like fruit loops or cocopops which has piles of refined sugar.
I'm not knocking sugar or any food. You can think of corn flakes however you wish to, however if you think it's healthier than raisin bran you're kidding yourself. Thankfully I'm not in a low carb mindset so I can see this objectively, and I like to indulge in a bowl of cereal when I fancy it. A while ago when I was trying to eliminate added sugars from our pantry I did some cereal research. Again, nothing wrong with sugar but they tend to put it in things you don't expect it like cereals, condiments, anything labeled low-fat, canned beans, etc. If I want to eat sugar I want to eat it where it counts, in my cake lol! I don't need sugar in my black beans or in my ketchup, know what I'm saying? So I was looking for some cereal that I could sprinkle on my yogurt and some I could eat occassionally when my cereal craving kicked in. I went down the cereal aisle, which is as long as a football field in America, and checked the labels on all the cereals. I didn't bother with the ones that were geared towards kids and were obviously full of sugars and colorings. I checked the ones that were specifically marketed as "all natural" and "whole grain" you know, the ones that were marketed to make you think it's healthy.

I found TWO cereals that did not contain added sugars. Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat. That's it, not a single one other than those 2.

Erewhon Corn Flakes don't contain any sugar but if you're talking about kellogg's the first five ingredients are : MILLEDCORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT

That's 3 kinds of sweetener in the top 4 ingredients. Tit for tat, raisin bran has a higher fiber count so depending on what your criteria for "good for you" means it might be a better choice, especially if the brand of raisin bran you choose uses real raisins, not sugar coated ones.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 04-08-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote