Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #1  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Default Slow Carb Diet - Thread 3

Please note: I copied all of this from the original thread starter Jacqui. These are her words not mine ....

Welcome! Whether you are doing the actual Tim Ferriss The Four-Hour Body Slow Carb Diet or a modified version, you are welcome to post your progress here!

I have not read The Four-Hour Body nor do I plan to since I'm happy doing a modified version of the Slow Carb Diet. However, there are others on this thread who have read the book or are in the process of reading it, so if you are following the book diet to a tee, they may be able to answer any book-specific questions you have and/or discuss book details with you. I learned about the Slow Carb Diet after reading an article about it on Huffington Post and then doing some research online. I'm so glad I decided to give it a try because it works for me!

I am carb-sensitive, and on the Slow Carb Diet, I never feel "starved" (as I always have while dieting in the past) because my blood sugar no longer spikes and drops daily. I also never feel deprived because this diet includes a cheat day when I can eat any foods I want. Also, I'm not much of an exerciser, but I try to walk for 20-30 minutes each day, and that's perfectly fine. Although exercise is recommended, it is not required. The Slow Carb Diet is not for everyone though. Some people don't do well going low-carb. Others don't do well having a cheat day. Everybody's different!

The gist of the Slow Carb Diet is: For 6 days of the week, eat lean (preferably organic) meats and fish/seafood, eggs, legumes, and non-starchy veggies. (Sugar-free Jello, 16 oz. of diet soda per day, and 1-2 glasses of red wine per day are also allowed.) On these 6 days, avoid breads/grains, dairy (except for cottage cheese), pasta, fruits (except for tomatoes and avocados), sweets, and starchy vegetables. The 7th day of the week (you choose the day) is a "cheat day," when you can eat anything at all as much as you want, including anything on the forbidden list. The cheat day is recommended to keep you from feeling deprived so you'll stay on the diet and to shake up your metabolism each week to keep it from stalling. Ferriss recommends eating 20 grams of protein with each meal, eating 30-60 minutes within waking up in the morning, eating the same meals over and over, having five low-carb days before taking a cheat day, and some other fine details, which I don't really know because I haven't read the book, lol!

I am a big believer in doing what works for you (as long as it DOES work), so modifying the diet to your own specifications is perfectly acceptable here! My personalized plan looks like this:

For 6 days of the week, I eat
--meat (and not necessarily lean or organic)
--fish
--legumes (including baked beans)
--eggs
--non-potato veggies
--veggie-like fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, etc.)
--nuts and seeds in moderation (a handful)
--peanut butter in moderation (not natural, just regular Jif)
--cottage cheese
--black and green olives
--condiments and sauces (including ketchup and honey bbq sauce)
--full-fat salad dressings (usually ranch)
--a sprinkle of shredded cheese on my salads or omelets
--Sugar-free Jello
--breaded convenience/fast food meats like chicken tenders (It's too much trouble to try to peel the breading off, so I just allow it since I don't eat these foods very often.)

and I drink
--Six to eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day, often flavored with Mio Liquid Water Enhancer
--Diet Dr. Pepper
--Green tea, sweetened with Splenda

For these 6 days, I avoid
--breads and grains (including corn)
--pasta
--dairy (other than cottage cheese and a sprinkle of shredded cheese)
--fruits (except veggie-like fruits)
--potatoes
--sweets

I count no calories. I count no carbs. I count no grams. I don't eat within 30-60 minutes of waking up. I don't eat every 4 hours. I don't pay attention to numbers at all. I don't eat the same meals over and over. I eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm full, and I try not to eat late at night, although if I'm hungry, I will.

The 7th day of the week (I've chosen Saturday, although I'll move it for a special occasion) is Cheat Day! Woohoo! I eat WHATEVER I want as much as I want, but again, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I do gain between .5 and 2.5 lbs the day after cheat day, but it's just water weight and it usually falls back off in the next couple of days while I continue to lose fat. It's all figured into the plan, so I don't worry about it.

A helpful site that will tell you if a food is allowed on the book diet is http://www.eslowcarbdiet.com/.

If you are interested in reading our 1st Slow Carb Diet thread, it is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...carb-diet.html.

Here is the second http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...hread-2-a.html

If you are already doing the Slow Carb Diet or if you want to give it a try, I hope you'll join us! Post as often or as little as you like. Weigh when you want to or don't weigh at all. Post your meals and exercise if you're so inclined or you don't have to. Good luck!

Last edited by love2b150; 04-07-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
Rennie have you tried making your own refried beans? I make them in the crock and freeze them. It's pretty easy and I think they are better or comparable to canned, and cheaper.
Shannon please share your recipe, I'd love to make them Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtretv100 View Post
Well it's okay. Keep trying. I lose my motivation every few days and binge eat and drink alcohol. Something i'm working on as well.
dt, I am so trying not to go back, to the old me. I am only 3 pound less than when I gave up in 2010. I don't want to throw in the towel now. I know I can do it. I just don't know what trigger is in my brain that has food (the wrong food calling my name) and today has got to be one of the worse I've had in a long long time. Jacqui would be proud of me We will get through this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover12 View Post
Rennie - still here! Think I'm down almost 3 lbs, but have WW weigh-in on Wed to know for sure. Having trouble sticking to slow carb. Been obsessed with my cookbook, but need to add some recipes that are not so decadent. I do LOVE to cook!!!! I am really too excited about this cookbook project!!! Very new for me. Have always been an artist, illustrator, graphic designer and good cook, but never combined them. Is soooooo much fun!!!!!!
Steph great job on the 3lbs down I long to be 3, 2, 1lb down I think at this point if I could see the 150's maybe I will be more motivated I need something to keep me going and that magic number 5 may just do it I'm looking forward to your book coming out. I'm having trouble also, but I think I'd be having trouble all around no matter what plan I'm trying to follow. We'll get through this stage in our journey. We have to Don't forget to let us know on Wednesday, we're rooting for ya I think I have watched Chopped before but maybe not all the way through just like flipping through and something caught my eye Your avatar photo is inspiring, if I knew I was going to a beach that would inspire me to eat better so that I wouldn't embarrass my family in my swim suit

Well I made it to the gym did 4.14 miles (hey my bday ) 65 minutes and burned 514 calories. Don't know what the scale will say since it says 165 now, I will probably not have much of a loss unless I happen to get a whoosh which I have yet to see
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #3  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Rennie

1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
1 c chopped onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Put beans in pot or bowl, cover with water by 2 inches, soak 6 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse. Put in slow cooker. Add onion, garlic and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook on low 6-8 hrs. Drain, leaving a small amt of water. Season with salt and pepper. Mash. To get a smoother consistency use an immersion blender with a little more water left in pot. (if freezing, let cool and chill in fridge to bring temp down. Then freeze in 2 cup increments, the size of canned beans). Can be thawed or reheated from frozen. (You could cut recipe in half if you didn't want as much)

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #4  
~Rennie

Thanks Shannon, I will surely give it a shot sounds good to add some cheese on top of with salsa
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 425.6/366.6/220

Height: 6'2

Well Rennie I don't want to go backwards either! I ate like a pig last night with no regrets. Today is a new day! One day at a time! Lol at least your still here and trying!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #6  
~Rennie

Thanks dt Yes definitely one day at a time.

Tomorrow I am doing a meat and egg day that another 3FCer spoke about except I'm adding cheese to my eggs. It doesn't sound like a lot of food but it is very low carb and hopefully it will kick start my losses again. I am tired of 162 point anything but I don't want it to go up of course

B ~ 3 eggs with a slice of American & a ¼ cup of cheddar
L ~ canned salmon with an egg to mix, green pepper and onion
D ~ ribeye steak with onion

... it is adds up to =
1149 calories
17 carbs
59 fat
127 protein
2763 sodium <--- I will definitely get my water in

the only drawback is no fiber at all ...

I am drinking water with cucumber, lime and lemon. I thought I would need to add honey to sweeten but the cucumber took over so no tart taste at all, who knew?

Last edited by love2b150; 04-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/150

Height: 5'5"

Had to share this with you. I saw it on Facebook and had a great laugh.

A man asked a young lady what she had for breakfast?
She replied, "Eggs"
He then asked if the were fried or scrambled?
To which she said, "Cadbury."

For those of you who know me, Cadbury are my favorite "eggs", too!

Still need to lose...up a pound vacationing with the family last week, but I am back on schedule once again!

B~ egg omelet with all the veggies
No snack
L~ 2 med sliced of pepperoni pizza
D~ beef hot dog, salad and yummy fresh fruit!
S~ Nothing but water, water, water

Thanks for starting the new thread, lovetobe

Good to see more of you on here with us!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #8  
~Rennie

Cindi, that funny was right up your alley Only a pound up after fun in the sun is worth it It'll be gone in no time, just stay away from the eggs

I'm up .6 this morning. My stomach is bloated and I think it's from all of the cucumber citrus water I drank yesterday, so today is all clear water
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #9  
~Rennie

dt I think I may have taken a few steps back these last few evenings

I had a bad bad afternoon so I'm admitting

I HAVE AN EATING DISORDER
WHEN I TRY TO EAT RIGHT
I EAT WRONG
EVEN WHEN I PLAN IT SOMETIMES I STILL DO WRONG
TODAY STARTED OUT WELL AND I BLEW IT
IT ALL WENT WRONG

How on earth do you blow your own birthday present? Tell me that isn't just plain stupid I am so disappointed in myself. I think I am actually losing control of the late afternoon/evenings, smh.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #10  

Default New here...

I’m Ali, and this is my first post! I started slow-carbing on Monday at 244.6 pounds (or maybe it was 246.4? Can’t remember…) and as of this morning, was down to 240 even. I know it’s just water weight, but it’s cool nonetheless.

Some history: I did slow-carb the first time in late 2012. At that time, I weighed around 250 lbs. Over the next 10 months or so, I lost around 20 pounds - to a low of 230 - and then gradually started to gain it back.

I decided that it would be a good idea to get back to what was working for me before in order to return to losing weight. Problem was - I kept bouncing from plan to plan both during both my trip down to 230 and my trip back up to 244. In addition to slow-carb, I tried leangains, paleo, JUDDD, the overnight diet, the 5/2 diet, eat-stop-eat, and probably a few others that I’m forgetting. I have no idea exactly what worked and what didn’t! So, I decided to go back to the plan that made the most sense to me, and stick with it. Slow-carb it is.

So far this week, I’ve eaten pretty much the same thing every day:

B - egg/egg white omlette with veggies and ham; small bowl of pinto beans
S - green smoothie (all veggies, no fruit - not for the faint of heart, lol) with casein protein powder
L - salad bar salad with meat, veggies, black beans, oil & vinegar
S - bag of cashews
D - grilled or stir fried meat (salmon, chicken or steak) with pinto beans and veggies

I do cheat and put a little cheese on my morning eggs and a little on my salad, but it’s probably only around ½ ounce total. I actually measure my “egg cheese” to make sure that it’s ¼ ounce exactly. Also - I did some random snacking on mixed nuts. That needs to stop.

I enjoyed reading about everyone’s journey(s) in the previous thread, and look forward to hearing of your (and mine too, hopefully!) continued progress in this one. My goal is to hit my 50th birthday next January at under 200 lbs; let’s see if I can get there this time.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #11  
~Rennie

Hi Trixlebing and to the thread Good job on your weight loss so far I sure wish the original two people that started the thread would come back, they were a load of information. I know what you mean by bouncing from plan to plan. I think that is and has been my problem. I believe all of us have added a little cheese and it didn't impact our losses. How are you doing with so many beans through out the day everyday?

I need to get back to basics and follow some plan consistently or I am never going to reach my goal. Best of luck to you on your goals. I definitely believe that Onederland is doable by January. My best advice is to keep posting even when you have a bad day.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #12  

Ali! It's good to have you. Together, we will reach our goals. I'm trying to get back into the Slow Carb routine, but I sometimes eat the wrong thing. Don't let that discourage you, because it doesn't me. As long as the scale continues to move down, I am happy!

Please Rennie, don't be so hard on yourself. it just makes it harder on your plan. It's called "sabotage" and I know you will get to your goal. Slow and steady is better than hurry up and keep stumbling! Okay? Okay!

Since I have osteoporosis, it is best to lose gradually, so I do not cause bone loss, too.

Okay, here is my day...

B~ protein shake with chia seed and extra fiber
L~ left over shrimp/scallop pasta (just one of my incorrect meals
S~ chocolate
D~ chicken, grilled with green beans and fresh fruit
S~ think I'll pass and have decaf tea

Please pray that we will hear soon about our sale on the retreat. It is due to close June 1st, but the bank has not approved the buyer's loan yet. Seems very hard to get a commercial loan here in FL.

Gave blood on Monday and will get my cholesterol reading tomorrow! Hoping it is going down, too so I might be able to get off the statins! Blood pressure was great!

Have a great night!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #13  

Need your prayers and support. The bank loan officer wants to do a walk through our retreat. Seems the bank has never made a commercial loan on a retreat facility before. Sooooo, I would pray for favor and no critical spirit as he takes his pictures during his visit to Surfside. This is so very important as the buyer has been approved on his part. Now the bank wants to decide if this loan is too risky.

I know I'm off subject, but tomorrow I will be so tempted to eat fattening "comfort" food! So for me it is related!

Thank you ALL so much!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #14  

Hey all -

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Here's an update:

Wednesday was just like my first 2 days, although I did have a couple of glasses of red wine in the evening. Not gonna beat myself up too bad over that, as it's "legal."

Today (Thursday) was a little different, partly because there was a going away party after work for a departing coworker. Of course - I indulged in the festivities because I have no discipline. My day went like:

B - leftover rotisserie chicken and pinto beans
S - Atkins shake
L - leftover rotisserie chicken, pinto beans, buttered broccoli
S - snack bag of cashews
D - beer, wine, "bar food," and some ice cream

I don't think I'll have any problem getting back on track on Friday, but Saturday might present a challenge. I'm going to visit a terminally ill family member, possibly for the last time. I'm sure the last thing I'll be thinking about is my diet. I'll just have to cut myself some slack and get back to business on Sunday.

Rennie - I'm doing fine with the beans so far. The beans in the salad at lunch are sort of optional - it depends on how hungry I am. In Ferris' book, he relays an anecdote about a woman who'd stopped losing weight and was feeling cranky while on the program. The solution? More beans! Worked like a charm. So, I'm trying not to be afraid to eat a lot of them (unless you were referring to the Flatulence Factor, which is a whole different subject...).

Cindi - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I'll falter often because I love food (and beer - let's not forget the beer!), but I just have to remember to get back on the program and to not let myself get discouraged. Sending good vibes your way for the speedy sale of your property, and hoping all goes well for the walk-thru.

I was going to post a link to the pinto bean recipe I used, but I'm not allowed to post links yet. If you go to the Eating Well website and search for Pinto Bean & Andouille Sausage Stew, you'll find it. I'll probably make it again, but leave out the meat. I do love my smoky pork products, but they probably aren't doing me any good.

TTYL!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #15  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
Rennie

1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
1 c chopped onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Put beans in pot or bowl, cover with water by 2 inches, soak 6 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse. Put in slow cooker. Add onion, garlic and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook on low 6-8 hrs. Drain, leaving a small amt of water. Season with salt and pepper. Mash. To get a smoother consistency use an immersion blender with a little more water left in pot. (if freezing, let cool and chill in fridge to bring temp down. Then freeze in 2 cup increments, the size of canned beans). Can be thawed or reheated from frozen. (You could cut recipe in half if you didn't want as much)
Shannon I'm making these tomorrow the beans will soak tonight Thank you

Cindi, I pray and know that all will go well with the bank. You have to remove all doubt this you know (I know that you do) but it's always good to have someone put that little note in your ear. I had a worldly person tell me recently to thank God for even the small things because I had said something that was totally out of my character which sounded to her as if I had no faith and I will be honest, to hear her say that to me was a shock but I thanked God for whispering in my ear at that moment because I needed to hear that. Everything is a go. It is so

Ali, I think you did well. (I like hors d'oeuvres) appetizers whatever you want to call them and I am a sampler . tomorrow is a new day and just like I started all over so will you Use Saturday as your early cheat day and enjoy the time with your family member. Sunday is the start of the new week and you have a chance do get it all right Yeah the flatulence factor ... I have that without beans since being on this journey and it seems to be getting worse However, I'm going to make pinto beans tomorrow, only because I want refried beans and the canned ones are too salty for me.

I dusted off and had a good day. Hoping tomorrow will be the same
Closed Thread