Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #1  
Tir Asleen

S/C/G: 215/211/145

Height: 5'1

Default Here, obese and not sure where to start

Hi, I am terribly obese. I weigh 215 and am only 5'1 feet tall. I have no idea how I got to this point. Life happened and I saw myself in a photo the other day and just about fell over. I hadn't weighed myself in years. I thought I was like one sixty or so which is still terrible but I am so much heavier. How do we let this happen? I want to take personal responsibility for it and get back in shape but I have never done this before and so I am lost. Help.
TirAsleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Same boat...but ready to get out and swim!

Lol! I weigh a bit more, but today is my starting day too! I blinked and I'm the biggest girl in my circle! I don't like it, and I'm doing something about it starting today! I don't know if you have a plan, but I'm working on one! I'm attacking my diet and my fitness one day at a time.

TODAY'S PLAN:
I'm going meet my daughter's bus at 3:45, so I'm leaving the office at 3pm, and I will walk until her bus shows up.

I ate two pop tarts for breakfast, about to eat chicken salad and jalapeņo bread for lunch...(not quite prepared on the food side, but I'm leaving food on my plate to start...)

Good luck to you! Hopefully we both reach our goals...God bless you on your journey!

Last edited by raybeauty; 04-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.
raybeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

Well I just started at 310 at 5'7. I joined My Fitness Pal and added the app on my phone. I just filled out the information asked about and then add in everything I eat. It keeps me accountable. Its working great so far, and now Im adding in a little bit of exercise during the week.
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #4  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome aboard!! You have definitely come to the right place for encouragement, motivation and educational tools that will help you succeed in your weight loss endeavors.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/201/135

Height: 5'2

Welcome! I am also new here, started today and am in the exact same boat as you. I am 5'2 and was 204 about two months ago. Today I am 192ish and making very slow progress. LOL.
I am exactly like you, I had no idea the amount of weight gain until I went to the doctor after years and ballooned from 140ish maybe a little less to 200. I have no idea how I could have overlooked such a huge gain, but not owning a scale definitely helped. My doctor also thinks my birth control Depo Provera had a large part also. I suppose I am one of the rare cases in which it helped me gain wayyy more than most.

The best thing for me over the last two months was getting a calorie counter app for my phone. I log everything I eat, good days, bad days, and it has really helped me get an idea of my eating patterns. It also shows you how many calories are in things you wouldn't imagine would be so high. Like a margarita for example, I was floored when I saw that on a happy hour day one margarita can be 500 calories!!! WHAT!!!!! So the hardest thing for me has been to cut down on wine and my love for the occasional margarita or 4 a couple times a month.

You are not alone! I have started my small steps and am trying to set mini goals so that I am not depressed when I'm not 130 pounds by July.

Good luck on your journey and remember that consistency is KEY. Visual results take time so be patient and start small!
katiepie7312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #6  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

Welcome - it is scary how easily it is to turn a blind eye to weight gain. I am one week in to my weight loss and determined not to quit - I never want to be this weight again! Be proud of yourself for taking the first step...it makes the rest of the steps easier now that you started the momentum.
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #7  
Tir Asleen

Thank you to all,of you.,it made me feel better that some of you hadn't noticed the weight gain. I feel so silly. I bought a scale, I'm working out thirty minutes on elliptical trainer and using apps for yoga, Pilates and lite weight training. I am also watching portions. This is tricky though because I was neglected as a child,so if I don't eat very much I feel deprived and unloved. I have been in therapy for all of it and I understand why I do it and accept that is something that will take time to work through. In the interim, any advice on how to snack and eat without feeling deprived?
Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #8  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirAsleen View Post
Thank you to all,of you.,it made me feel better that some of you hadn't noticed the weight gain. I feel so silly. I bought a scale, I'm working out thirty minutes on elliptical trainer and using apps for yoga, Pilates and lite weight training. I am also watching portions. This is tricky though because I was neglected as a child,so if I don't eat very much I feel deprived and unloved. I have been in therapy for all of it and I understand why I do it and accept that is something that will take time to work through. In the interim, any advice on how to snack and eat without feeling deprived?
Thanks again.
I adopted three children back in 1997 who also had been neglected and often left hungry. They would even hoard food in their rooms. I learned early on to have a "kid's cabinet" for them that they had access to anytime and keep it filled with healthy snacks. Why don't you do something similar for yourself? Maybe not a cabinet, it could be a plastic container in your refrigerator. Whatever works for you, just have snacks available so that you don't binge on the wrong things. For example, I follow the Atkin's plan so I keep pork skins, natural, nitrate free luncheon meats and olives to snack on when the feeling arises. Whatever plan you follow, make yourself a plan for "comfort foods."

Hope some of this might help you out. I look forward to following your success. Blessings,
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #9  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Good advice, Firegirl!

Tir Asleen: instead of thinking of it as "deprivation," try thinking of it as doing something positive for yourself. Because you love yourself, you will not take in more than your body really needs to function. It's positive self-talk that really helps. It takes practice (I've been working on it for years), but I am confident you can master it.
Best of luck to you. Remember, we make our own luck!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #10  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

Default wake up

ahhh yes I found myself there too!!!! Its crazy to think you just realize one day that you've put on 60 pounds in 2 years but that is what happened to me you are SO not alone!!! About a month ago I weighed myself for the first time in years and was shocked. Since that day I have cut out all soda (occasional diet), processed foods and unnatural sugars and have recently added exercise and the difference I feel daily is incredible! I let myself indulge a few times weekly to ensure I stay on track for the long run welcome and best wishes to you on your journey
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/274/180

Height: 5'6

Welcome! I love my calorie counting app as well, and it really helps me keep my portions in check- like some others here, I had no idea how many calories I was actually consuming- I was truly shocked although looking at my weight gain in the past few years that's hard to believe. It's good to have support on your journey& accountability, so you don't feel like you're hiding all the time. You will be okay & we will help!

Last edited by tab23; 04-13-2014 at 06:54 AM.
tab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #12  
Tir Asleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab23 View Post
Welcome! I love my calorie counting app as well, and it really helps me keep my portions in check- like some others here, I had no idea how many calories I was actually consuming- I was truly shocked although looking at my weight gain in the past few years that's hard to believe. It's good to have support on your journey& accountability, so you don't feel like you're hiding all the time. You will be okay & we will help!
Thank you. Yes, I am seeing that I eat a lot of empty calories. I also eat a lot of sweets. I had no idea I was doing either so now I can clean it up. I just have to be aware. Good to have a starting point.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #13  
Tir Asleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopeaceandlovexo View Post
ahhh yes I found myself there too!!!! Its crazy to think you just realize one day that you've put on 60 pounds in 2 years but that is what happened to me you are SO not alone!!! About a month ago I weighed myself for the first time in years and was shocked. Since that day I have cut out all soda (occasional diet), processed foods and unnatural sugars and have recently added exercise and the difference I feel daily is incredible! I let myself indulge a few times weekly to ensure I stay on track for the long run welcome and best wishes to you on your journey
Good words. When you indulge, do you plan it in advance?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #14  
Tir Asleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirl441 View Post
I adopted three children back in 1997 who also had been neglected and often left hungry. They would even hoard food in their rooms. I learned early on to have a "kid's cabinet" for them that they had access to anytime and keep it filled with healthy snacks. Why don't you do something similar for yourself? Maybe not a cabinet, it could be a plastic container in your refrigerator. Whatever works for you, just have snacks available so that you don't binge on the wrong things. For example, I follow the Atkin's plan so I keep pork skins, natural, nitrate free luncheon meats and olives to snack on when the feeling arises. Whatever plan you follow, make yourself a plan for "comfort foods."

Hope some of this might help you out. I look forward to following your success. Blessings,
This is a good idea. I am wondering if I should start writing down or planning daily snacks since I seem to over indulge?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 231,5/220,5/122

Height: 5ft4

hi TirAsleen!

same here - two weeks ago i've attained my maximum weight ever! it really terrified me! and so i came up with a plan to stop overeating/binge eating and lose some weight. it's on my blog, if you'd like to see - ika's binge free life.

but the most important thing in my case was realizing that i don't just have a "weight" problem. that it's not just about losing weight. that it's about finding out why i overeat and binge.
ika overeater is offline   Reply With Quote