View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #102
lotsakids

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I eat low carb because I have diabetes. I have been overweight my entire life and have lost and gained several times. I did Weigh Down in the 90's which is a faith based IE group- lost weight, taught the classes, gained the weight back because too much emotion has always been tied to whether or not I was hungry. Huge stress happened and I put it all back on and then some. I did WW which was point counting... but I again lost and gained. South beach... as someone said, rinse repeat....

In may I was dx'd with diabetes and had blood pressure in the 200's. I started eating low carb and then gluten free (because of the wheat/inflamation connection) I've done pretty well and really have no desire to cheat but was getting discouraged because the last couple of months I was stalled. Now normally the stalling point is when I would quit and then gain. Diabetes has kept me on plan. This time I had to look at what I was eating, still low carb but my calorie needs (I don't count them but they do figure in even for the low carbers) aren't what they were 84 pounds ago. I am now adjusting what I eat down a little and starting to see a little movement. I don't feel like I'm under restriction low carbing (I'm just more inventive than I used to be food wise)

Most morbidly obese people didn't get there with normal capabilities to deal with food. We use it to avoid feelings, or to mask feelings, we use food to celebrate, and to grieve. We can compare ourselves to "normal eaters" but we aren't so we have to work this thing and however that looks - keep working it.

For me, working it included starting a facebook group of my friends who are working on weight issues and we post our workouts everyday. Its a closed group and we encourage each other. I separate my meals, no grazing and I am always the next meal away from starting over- no more of the idea that I messed up by 7 am so the rest of the day is fair game. I've had to look at what has derailed me in the past and figure out how to overcome that.

Donna

a reminder from myself...
I have to fight the tendency of stinkin' thinkin' to give up because I'm not progressing. As long as I am still moving and watching what I put in my mouth then I am progressing no matter what the scale says.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote