Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
But the bold statement stood out to me, not that I'm trying to preach the benefits of IE it's just that.... well don't you know anyone who eats whatever they want and doesn't have a weight problem? What about children who eat half a cookie and then run off to play? You say that people who practice IE are in a small minority but that's not really true, anyone who is not dieting, eating what they want, and remaining slim is actually eating intuitively.
Oops! Sorry. I didn't put enough context in my own post! I meant that in the context of 3fc, the adherents of IE are probably in the small minority of posters, so they probably face a lot more headwind in terms of people making blanket statements that don't fit well with their chosen WOE.

Being in the minority can be difficult. When low carb was new, I'm sure that many of the early low-carbers got a lot of unwanted advice (I know that I tried to dissuade the first low carber I knew when I first heard about it).

I do know people who eat IE. My daughter is one (she's 17 now). She can be in the middle of a cookie and just stops eating because she doesn't want any more. I can't imagine doing that. She's never had a weight problem.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #122  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Yes i can't do moderation. I"m not offended by it. I think people who are offended by the notion have a problem that they should resolve. I do not think everyone should have to kittyfoot around the oversensitive person. I think that's taking things much too far.

The everything in moderation is a generalisation. There are always exceptions to generalisations. That doesn't make them less valid.

No one has been abused. I think a bit of perspective is a good idea.

I don't know what WOE is either.
I'm not offended by moderation. I usually find it admirable.

However, obviously we'll just have to agree to disagree on the topic of making blanket statements. I think that in the general "Weight Loss Support" forum, people should try to avoid making statements that sound like advice that everyone should follow some aspect of a WOE that not everyone does.

I think it's great when a bunch of different people say "This is what worked for me," and I was very happy to see a lot of posters with very different WOEs going out of their way to do just that on this thread.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #123  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Some people will be offended just for the sake of outrage.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #124  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Some people will be offended just for the sake of outrage.
I think that can be the case, but if I came across as sounding outraged, that was certainly not my intent. It would be great if the worst anyone ever had to deal with in hearing blanket statements that didn't apply to them was people with restrictive WOEs hearing "moderation in everything" once in a while. But it's a slippery slope so I just wanted to mention it since many of the people on this thread have clearly gone out of their way to avoid blanket statements about their WOEs and I wanted to encourage them to continue that.

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-04-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I think that can be the case, but if I came across as sounding outraged, that was certainly not my intent. It would be great if the worst anyone ever had to deal with in hearing blanket statements that didn't apply to them was people with restrictive WOEs hearing "moderation in everything" once in a while. But it's a slippery slope so I just wanted to mention it since many of the people on this thread have clearly gone out of their way to avoid blanket statements about their WOEs and I wanted to encourage them to continue that.
And some people have clearly gone out of their ways to make blanket statements about their WOE and there has not been one method proven yet to discourage them from doing so. Sigh.

One thing to consider is that what works for us now may not work for us in the future. For example when I try to picture my future I want to know that I won't be suffering with an ED, I don't want to be counting calories or weighing foods. However I see myself maintaining is how I want to go about losing weight. You know what they say, dress for the job you want, not for the job you have. How we choose our method and why we choose it is different for everyone. Our motives are all different whether it's quick weight loss, long term weightloss, reclaiming health, fashion aspirations, fitness goals, fertility, finding a mate, fitting in an airplane seat... we're all different and we all have our own personal challenges and none of them are invalid. Someone who wants to simply lose 10 lbs before July so they can fit into their wedding dress is going to have a different mindset and different challenges than someone who is facing some frightening health complications. The seriousness of some of our challenges probably make us anxious, and may come across as snappy, judgy, and sometimes gloating. It's only a testament to how seriously we need to commit to our WOE because in the face of judgement from others we only have our own fragile sense of balance with what's worked for us.

Food is something we'll have to live with every day. We can either chose to see it as nourishment or an enemy. For me it's been both and at wild extremes to say the least. That inner battle with food has taken the focus off what I should be thinking about and that's how to take care of myself. No need to battle food, food is not my problem. My inner struggles of self-esteem, coping with stress, self-acceptance are what I want to focus on, food is just a smokescreen.

Re-reading my title for this thread I now see that it may be misleading to say "food" is pleasure because I've gone through great lengths to come to terms with the fact that food is just food and nothing more. It's an inanimate object that couldn't care less if I ate it or not. Perhaps a better title would have been "Eating IS pleasure!" We may not agree about what foods we eat but as long as we find pleasure in what we're eating then we're all doing what is best. I never want to see anyone be bored over their bowl of oatmeal or grow to resent their standard lunch of salad and grilled chicken breast.

So how do you go about making eating pleasurable?
1. I try to make eating an event. I sit down and try not to interrupt myself with work or emails or tv. All too often we eat on the run, at work at our desk, standing up, or out of the vending machine. And we eat way too fast. Our jobs aren't that important that we can't take a good 30min to nourish ourselves!

2. I try not to eat in front of the tv - All day long I think about food yum! Then I sit in front of my plate and zone out on the tv - No!

3. Family meals are fun to make together and then eat together.

4. I try not to eat anything out of obligation. I don't force myself to eat kale, I don't like kale and I don't care how nutritious or in style it is. I'll stick to spinach. I like almonds sometimes, but I prefer cashews darn it! I no longer make myself eat things just because they're in fad or healthy. There's plenty of healthy choices out there that I can enjoy instead.

5. I try not to judge myself over what I'm eating. That way I don't make myself guilty which is a whole other monster that's been demoralizing me for decades.

I'd love to hear more if you have any.

Last edited by Palestrina; 04-04-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #126  

Aside from social food events, one of my biggest food pleasures is trying new foods, even though I don't like to cook. Just today I bought a new salad dressing that is based on pureed pear. I love poking around the Asian grocery store buying new marinated veggies or unusual fruits. Things don't always work out (the last time I bought some marinated lotus root, and although I like lotus root, I didn't like this so much), but it's still fun to try things.

I am trying to slow down when I eat so I can both enjoy the food more and register when I'm full. Unfortunately, I'm having mixed results on that at best.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #127  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
So how do you go about making eating pleasurable?
I love to try new recipes. I am not a great cook lol but I try I love to browse pinterest or my favorite recipe sites and find really neat new recipes to try. Even more so if it is something I have never come close to making before. I find alot of pleasure in knowing I made it myself and putting the time and energy into making it. Somehow it tastes better lol

I read somewhere one time about the difference in some random candy bar vs an expensive really well made piece of chocolate, & how instead of wasting calories on some crappy candy that isn't even very yummy you can savor a piece of chocolate that is worth the calories. I really like that. I usually don't order dessert when I go out but once I got this chocolate cake type thing that was literally to die for. It was heaven in my mouth lol And was so very much worth every calorie lol
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #128  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
4. I try not to eat anything out of obligation. I don't force myself to eat kale, I don't like kale and I don't care how nutritious or in style it is. I'll stick to spinach. I like almonds sometimes, but I prefer cashews darn it! I no longer make myself eat things just because they're in fad or healthy. There's plenty of healthy choices out there that I can enjoy instead.

5. I try not to judge myself over what I'm eating. That way I don't make myself guilty which is a whole other monster that's been demoralizing me for decades.
Yes! These two are big for me. Once I eliminated obligatory and judgeful eating, it removed a HUGE amount of stress.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonkissed View Post
I read somewhere one time about the difference in some random candy bar vs an expensive really well made piece of chocolate, & how instead of wasting calories on some crappy candy that isn't even very yummy you can savor a piece of chocolate that is worth the calories. I really like that. I usually don't order dessert when I go out but once I got this chocolate cake type thing that was literally to die for. It was heaven in my mouth lol And was so very much worth every calorie lol
That's very true. I've found that thinking this way has helped me curb eye cravings - like you know when you suddenly get faced with a yummy food? For example someone just brought in a box of muffins to work and suddenly there's a tempting blueberry mountain right in front of you. What do you do? I've developed a habit that when I'm tempted with something immediate I think long and hard about "what would taste better than this blueberry muffin?" and if I can think of something that usually takes the tempetation away. Or I think "gee I make awesome blueberry muffins myself!" and then by promising myself that I'm going to make some when I get home that too gets rid of the immediate trigger to eat the muffin.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

In my before diabetes life I did just "cut down" on "bad" food but I was always wheeling and dealing with myself (weight watcher points) until I got to the point where I was not only hungry but tired of fighting the good fight. I gave up for many years, decided someone has to be fat so it may as well be me. A martyr for the cause LOL.

After I was dx'd last year I had to take stock and found out I didn't much like the odds. I researched (my doctor was useless- um try to limit sweets... really???) and found that low carb would help bring my blood sugar down. More research and I found that removing wheat from my diet would help to reduce inflamation (high blood sugar creates inflamation in your body and leads to the diabetic complications) it only made sense to cut as much inflamation as I could. Exercise also lowers blood sugar (in the long run - during exercise it is not unusual to see a rise) so I added that in. This is the first time in my life that I am making choices, not to look good or to be skinny, but to be healthy. and that has been the difference and the reason that I've stayed on plan since May. I have great subs for the brownie or the pizza now but because the carbs are low they don't trigger binge eating for me.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #131  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
That's very true. I've found that thinking this way has helped me curb eye cravings - like you know when you suddenly get faced with a yummy food? For example someone just brought in a box of muffins to work and suddenly there's a tempting blueberry mountain right in front of you. What do you do? I've developed a habit that when I'm tempted with something immediate I think long and hard about "what would taste better than this blueberry muffin?" and if I can think of something that usually takes the tempetation away. Or I think "gee I make awesome blueberry muffins myself!" and then by promising myself that I'm going to make some when I get home that too gets rid of the immediate trigger to eat the muffin.
That is a great way to think about it. I will keep that in mind! Also most foods have so much added crap in them if I can make it myself it will be way healthier and probably taste better for a ton of things. And I do think you are right the thought of having it later may curb the trigger to stuff it all in my face right now lol!

moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #132  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Getting past the immediate trigger works wonders for me. If sweets are brought in to work I'll think I'll come back and get mine in a little bit, usually I'll get distracted by something else and/or the stuff will be gone or not as appealing as that first glance.

Trying to be more mindful all around, enjoying the moment I'm in, the salad I had for lunch yesterday was delish, looking forward to some delicious roasted veggies for supper tonight. Paying attention to the moment I'm in has made most things, including food, more enjoyable, didn't try it at the dentist the other day, that was more about trying to imagine I was somewhere else

Best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #133  
Fat Bastid on a Mission

S/C/G: 277/226/180

Height: 5'6"

My best experience is getting into the mindset of eating as/for utility. I think pleasure foods or the food/pleasure response in anyone's brain is similar to what using tobacco must be like. Like any addict you will always be an addict. But if you can change into the mindset of finding more healthy alternatives to getting that pleasure response from other stimuli in life... and work towards eating for utility then you can ween from the food addiction by replacing it with a different more healthy one.
50PoundsTooHeavy is offline   Reply With Quote