Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #1  
Obsessed

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Angry It was NOT worth it!

@%$&!?+ (#$/ $/!+ UGH. First time ever I've over eaten since deciding to change my lifestyle! I am so angry at myself!!! I've been hungry all day today, and when I got home and started dinner I started picking. A little pinch of cheese, then that little piece of bread that broke off, then the ground beef I was cooking up....then I had to "taste" the sauce. Oh My Gawd, I became a starved monster. I haven't had "seconds"since I started this, and although I was full, it was like I was possessed. My stomach actually hurts. I am so mad at myself. I feel like I need to go put on a snow suit and exercise until I sweat it all out.

What happened? Should I not make spaghetti anymore? I've never not once felt the way I felt today. I am definitely not falling off the wagon, or giving up, or going to use this as an excuse to eat the house down. I do give myself a free meal once a week so this isn't a terrible thing....

Am I being ridiculous? Why am I freaking out right now? I am probably, in all honesty, only over my normal calorie intake by 200 calories..... I think I am extremely disappointed in myself.

Support please, even if its to tell me I'm being a nut job!

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo; 04-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCaChoo View Post
@%$&!?+ (#$/ $/!+ UGH. First time ever I've over ate since deciding to change my lifestyle! I am so angry at myself!!! I've been hungry all day today, and when I got home and started dinner I started picking. A little pinch of cheese, then that little piece of bread that broke off, then the ground beef I was cooking up....then I had to "taste" the sauce. Oh My Gawd, I became a starved monster. I haven't had "seconds"since I started this, and although I was full, it was like I was possessed. My stomach actually hurts. I am so mad at myself. I feel like I need to go put on a snow suit and exercise until I sweat it all out.

What happened? Should I not make spaghetti anymore? I've never not once felt the way I felttoday. I am definitely not falling off the wagon, and I do give myself a free meal once a week.

Am I being ridiculous. I am probably in all honest only over my normal calorie intake by 200 calories..... I think I am extremely disappointed in myself.

Ok.. Lets step back. What is this anger going to do for you? Probably nothing positive. Cool down and look at your day.

Reality is, some days we are hungrier than others. This is normal. You said you were hungry all day, so it makes sense that you went overboard, especially if you went into preparing dinner very hungry. And perhaps with low blood sugar?

What I have learned to do when I am feeling the hunger monster come on when I'm starving and preparing dinner is to grab a handful of nuts. It's nutritious and it stops me from eating 400 hundred extra calories of empty calories. Bett to eat 100 healthy calories than 400 empty ones.... See what I mean?

Don't let my "lack of weight loss" Make you think I have no idea what I speak of. I lost 110 pounds before regaining.... Being angry with yourself is destructive... I know destructive quite well too, obviously.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-04-2014 at 07:53 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #3  
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Ok.. Lets step back. What is this anger going to do for you? Probably nothing positive. Cool down and look at your day.

Reality is, some days we are hungrier than others. This is normal. You said you were hungry all day, so it makes sense that you went overboard, especially if you went into preparing dinner very hungry. And perhaps with low blood sugar?

What I have learned to do when I am feeling the hunger monster come on when I'm starving and preparing dinner is to grab a handful of nuts. It's nutritious and it stops me from eating 400 hundred extra calories of empty calories. Bett to eat 100 healthy calories than 400 empty ones.... See what I mean?

Don't let my "lack of weight loss" Make you think I have no idea what I speak of. I lost 110 pounds before regaining.... Being angry with yourself is destructive... I know destructive quite well too, obviously.
I've read your story and have so much respect for you. When I saw an old post you made and recently reopened it about watching people regain, I actually had tears in my eyes.

I think my anger is because I felt so proud of myself. I was doing so great. I was my own cheerleader. Now I feel like once again, I'm going to be my own demise. If I couldn't control this one time, how will I control it tomorrow and the next day.

I guess I need help on getting over the anger/guilt and moving on.

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo; 04-04-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #4  
Melissa

Quote:
I've read your story and have so much respect for you. When I saw an old post you made and recently reopened it about watching people regain, I actually had tears in my eyes.

I think my anger is because I felt so proud of myself. I was doing so great. I was my own cheerleader. Now I feel like once again, I'm going to be my own demise. If I couldn't control this one time, how will I control it tomorrow and the next day.

I guess I need help on getting over the anger/guilt and moving on.
Ah...this is the crux.... Fear. Fear of "what does this mean?" And I totally get the "if I couldn't control this, how can I have control ever?"

We all understand that fear, unfortunately. Best advice.... Look at your day. Lern from it and move on. Tomorrow you will do better and the fear will recede.

Huge to you. You're doing great - remember that!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Quote:
Oh My Gawd, I became a starved monster. I haven't had "seconds"since I started this, and although I was full, it was like I was possessed. My stomach actually hurts.
Something very similar happened to me a few days ago with a pot of pea soup. The important thing is to get back on track.

You said you were hungry all day. It's hard to resist while cooking delicious food when we are hungry (honestly, after a life time of weight management, that's one reason I don't enjoy cooking).

Maybe you could plan to cook things like spaghetti sauce *after* dinner? It's better the next day, right?
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

To gain a pound (or to fail to lose a pound) is a matter of 3500 calories, not 200.

200 calories amounts to less than one ounce of body weight. So, if you make no other changes (just stay on plan and don't try to compensate for the overage) you will lose just under an ounce less than if you hadn't made the slip.

Are you going to beat yourself up over less than an ounce? Sure 200 calories here and there eventually add up, but they can add up only if you pile mistake after mistake.

Even if you make one 200 calorie mistake like this each and and every week, at the end of a year, you will lose 3 lbs less than if you'd not made any.

Really, you're going to beat yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce?

You can't afford to beat yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce. Firstly, stress hormones can slow metabolism. If the stress impedes sleep, that also slows metabolism. Stress also can trigger hunger, especially when you're trying to lose or manage weight.

Beating yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce isn't worth it. It doesn't help and could hurt.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Am I being ridiculous? Why am I freaking out right now? I am probably, in all honesty, only over my normal calorie intake by 200 calories..... I think I am extremely disappointed in myself.
Eh, you're just an amateur! When I go overboard, it's by a thousand calories or more. Two-hundred calories doesn't even register on my guilt/disappointment meter. Forget about it and move on!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #8  
Obsessed

Thanks for all the perspective. I read these posts a lot more than I actually post. Sometimes I am still very unsure of myself because I've never stuck with a program for this long. This is my first "bad" day. I know through out there will be more,and while I don't ever want to accept them, having you all here makes me feel a little more prepared for them. Thank you all for being here. XOXO
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #9  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
To gain a pound (or to fail to lose a pound) is a matter of 3500 calories, not 200.

200 calories amounts to less than one ounce of body weight. So, if you make no other changes (just stay on plan and don't try to compensate for the overage) you will lose just under an ounce less than if you hadn't made the slip.

Are you going to beat yourself up over less than an ounce? Sure 200 calories here and there eventually add up, but they can add up only if you pile mistake after mistake.

Even if you make one 200 calorie mistake like this each and and every week, at the end of a year, you will lose 3 lbs less than if you'd not made any.

Really, you're going to beat yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce?

You can't afford to beat yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce. Firstly, stress hormones can slow metabolism. If the stress impedes sleep, that also slows metabolism. Stress also can trigger hunger, especially when you're trying to lose or manage weight.

Beating yourself up over 9/10 of an ounce isn't worth it. It doesn't help and could hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Eh, you're just an amateur! When I go overboard, it's by a thousand calories or more. Two-hundred calories doesn't even register on my guilt/disappointment meter. Forget about it and move on!

F.
Can I just like these? You guys are awesome! And I hope OP that you're starting to feel a bit better.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217.6/153.2/140

Height: 5'5

Just wanna say that I can relate to you and I'm sending you hugs! I agree with the ladies above, best thing is to just move on. For myself I've found that when I've already done it, instead of hitting myself and punishing myself instead I just, eh, enjoy it. May as well, it's already done! Then you can feel satisified, like you had your little treat, and now you can move on. Otherwise it could lead to feeling like yeah you ate that indulgent food, but you didn't really enjoy it so it didn't count -- see what I mean? Of course, this is only my approach. I hope you find what works for you, good luck.
xRiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I see you've had a lot of responses already but i will read them later.

for now, i would say, STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP.

Like you said, its only 200 calories or something. And its not like what you ate is bad food is it? How much fat is going to land on your bum because you ate an extra 200 calories. Don't go into an exercise panic over it.
I just don't see that you've done anything wrong from the little pinch of cheese etc. Ok so seconds wasn't a good idea but all the tasting, how can you cook and not taste what you are doing? Its nothing.

The main question is why were you so hungry all day and what did you try to do about it? It seems like you may have tried to ignore the hunger and that's why you went ahead and felt it necessary to have a second helping.

I keep saying, don't let yourself be so hungry. Eat something healthy soon after the hunger starts up. Don't let yourself become ravenous. Because this is what happens. Its all to do with the way the body first goes through the glucose, then hunger signals are sent to the brain when you need to start burning from your glycogen stores. by the time you are ravenous, your body is taking energy from another source, it think its probably the muscles but not sure. Can't remember.

So a little bit of hunger is fine because that's when you are burning fat. But don't allow yourself to be hungry for very long. Let your fat burn in small bursts only. That way you can avoid the big hunger and the binge.

Another thing though, there may have been other reasons to set up the initial hunger. It may not be because of low blood glucose. It might have been some type of hormonal imbalance e.g. low seratonin, or lack of sleep.

So anyway this is why its important to:
a) get plenty of sleep every night
b) monitor your mood and keep stress down, deal with disappointments quickly and effectively
c) eat regular healthy meals with only limited calorie restriction.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #12  
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I see you've had a lot of responses already but i will read them later.

for now, i would say, STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP.

Like you said, its only 200 calories or something. And its not like what you ate is bad food is it? How much fat is going to land on your bum because you ate an extra 200 calories. Don't go into an exercise panic over it. i just don't see that you've done anything wrong from the little pinch of cheese etc. Ok so seconds wasn't a good idea but all the tasting, how can you cook and not taste what you are doing? Its nothing.

The main question is why were you so hungry all day and what did you try to do about it? It seems like you may have tried to ignore the hunger and that's why you went ahead and felt it necessary to have a second helping.

I keep saying, don't let yourself be so hungry. Eat something healthy soon after the hunger starts up. Don't let yourself become ravenous. Because this is what happens. Its all to do with the way the body first goes through the glucose, then hunger signals are sent to the brain when you need to start burning from your glycogen stores. by the time you are ravenous, your body is taking energy from another source, it think its probably the muscles but not sure. Can't remember.

So a little bit of hunger is fine because that's when you are burning fat. But don't allow yourself to be hungry for very long. Let your fat burn in small bursts only. That way you can avoid the big hunger and the binge.

Another thing though, there may have been other reasons to set up the initial hunger. It may not be because of low blood glucose. It might have been some type of hormonal imbalance e.g. low seratonin, or lack of sleep.

So anyway this is why its important to:
a) get plenty of sleep every night
b) monitor your mood and keep stress down, deal with disappointments quickly and effectively
c) eat regular healthy meals with only limited calorie restriction.
Very interesting points. I had a very stressful day at work where I was literally in an all day planning session. Though I did follow my normal meal plan, I found myself wanting to eat and remember thinking during the day that I really must be an emotional eater. The more frustrated at work I got, the hungrier I became. I try to only bring to work enough food to keep me within my calorie goal. I don't have great will power yet and tend to not want food easily accessible at work. Work is my downfall. I do ok with avoiding and declining the daily lunches delivered, as well as the constant donuts and bagels that are there. However, if I bring extra healthy food, I will eat it even when I don't need to. I am not like this at home, normally!!

I will watch my stress and maybe start to document how I am feeling to get a better grasp on it. Thanks

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo; 04-04-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Quote:
@%$&!?+ (#$/ $/!+ UGH. First time ever I've over eaten since deciding to change my lifestyle! I am so angry at myself!!! I've been hungry all day today, and when I got home and started dinner I started picking. A little pinch of cheese, then that little piece of bread that broke off, then the ground beef I was cooking up....then I had to "taste" the sauce. Oh My Gawd, I became a starved monster. I haven't had "seconds"since I started this, and although I was full, it was like I was possessed. My stomach actually hurts. I am so mad at myself. I feel like I need to go put on a snow suit and exercise until I sweat it all out.

What happened? Should I not make spaghetti anymore? I've never not once felt the way I felt today. I am definitely not falling off the wagon, or giving up, or going to use this as an excuse to eat the house down. I do give myself a free meal once a week so this isn't a terrible thing....

I just wanted to say that literally this exact thing happened to me tonight too. AND it was spaghetti. I think it was the first time I've made pasta in over a month too. I am P!SSED!!! It wasn't even that good but I did it anyway lol. But yeah, I just wanted to say: I know that feel.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Very interesting points. I had a very stressful day at work where I was literally in an all day planning session. Though I did follow my normal meal plan, I found myself wanting to eat and remember thinking during the day that I really must be an emotional eater. The more frustrated at work I got, the hungrier I became. I try to only bring to work enough food to keep me within my calorie goal. I don't have great will power yet and tend to not want food easily accessible at work. Work is my downfall. I do ok with avoiding and declining the daily lunches delivered, as well as the constant donuts and bagels that are there. However, if I bring extra healthy food, I will eat it even when I don't need to. I am not like this at home, normally!!

In this case, then you probably need to develop some psychological tools to help you handle those situations more comfortably.

Its not really the sort of stress i experience as i don't work those sorts of situations. However, it sounds like if you don't feel in control of what's going on enough, you may start to feel frustrated and stressed. I get that experience. I am not saying you need to control what others are doing but that perhaps you may be feeling frustrated by them. In such a situation, we have to practice letting go. A LOT!

I was caught in a one hour engagement the other day with a group of people where i got frustrated. At the time, i didn't have time to think about letting go. It didn't occur to me but it did when i was out of there. And i will try to take it back to the group with me next time i go. Its my choir group and this day we were without out leader so it was fairly disorganised session with inadequate listening going on. But we did achieve a fair bit so all wasn't lost. I just want to feel more comfortable next time. But as that was the first time we'd come together, i am sure it will go better next time now that i know what people are like.

So i think when things seem chaotic and out of control for me its a good idea to try to step back and calm down a bit let, let go let go let go. Breathe when things get a bit tense. I mean think about about it as you do.

But of course when you are in a planning situation, i know you have to get things done. Perhaps don't expect perfection and perhaps things can be tweaked later. And then also from a CBT point of view, so what if you think they've got it all wrong. Unless you are the one in charge, then you should be able to let go. If you are the one in charge, then you can probably take more control of the meeting.

Anyway, that is probably how i'd think about making such a situation less stressful for myself. It also requires have some faith in people and yourself of course.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post

F.
Woooo! Ditto to this. Forgive yourself, keep it in perspective, learn from it, move forward with zero condemnation and a little more insight
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote