View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #92
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am very happy for people for whom IE works (wish I was one of them). I understand the excitement of finding something that works and wanting to share that with everyone. However, I sometimes get the vibe from IEers that they've unlocked "THE" secret to happiness/weight loss/normal eating, and that the rest of us who are following typical "diet" plans are doomed to failure; I like reading the former, but the latter vibe can be a bit discouraging, that's all.

Hope you're not offended by my honesty. I just wanted to add another side to your comments about dieting being a "neverending tightrope" by sharing my experiences.
I'm not at all offended, thanks for pointing this out. If there's anything I don't want to do it's alienate people who are doing something different than me or come across as better than thou. I don't have all the answers and I'm not an authority on anyone but myself and even that is questionable given my past food behaviors lol. The enthusiasm you sense from me does not stem from knowing any secrets, it's probably liberation instead. Since I've taken myself off diets I've almost completely stopped binging, and have made much better food choices overall. This is kind of a big deal for me because my ED is so debilitating. So when I think about restrictions, food rules, falling on and off wagons it makes me very uncomfortable because I remember how awful I felt on a diet.

My body is like a car with a broken engine. It doesn't matter if I put in high grade fuel that's low cal, nutrient-dense, sugar-free, grain-free, and antioxidant rich. I have to fix that engine first or my car is going nowhere. Diets address fuel issues, IE is addressing my engine issue. I won't derail the thread anymore, please check your PM. And I'll try to tone down my enthusiasm.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote