General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Default Stop bashing surgery

Though I'm not considering weight loss surgery I have a bone to pick with something I see constantly on all weight loss forums (not just this one). I really wish that people would stop bashing WLS as being "unhealthy" and that it doesn't work and most people gain it back yadda yadda. I feel like the purpose of this site and others like it is for support, not to have a contest as to who is doing what correctly. Different things work for different people. Can't we all just say "Good job!" when we do well and "Get back on the horse!" when we don't?

PS...statistically, your chances of gaining weight back from losing weight without surgery is exactly the same. They're all lifestyle changes, and any of us who fall off the wagon will face the same consequences.

Let's all get by with a little help from our friends, shall we?
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I have never seen a post here that bashes WLS.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

People bash my diet choices and eating habits as unhealthy too, but just because they have an opinion doesn't mean I have to let it dictate either my choices or self image.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I've never seen a post that bashes weight loss surgery. Much respect to those who choose surgery, from what I understand it's quite the opposite of an easy out!

I think most of what you are referring to (the bashing of other's WOE) stems from wanting to connect with others over what they're doing. We all think we've found a way of doing it that seems right to us and we reach out to those who say they struggle. It's normal, it's all in the spirit of being supportive.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #5  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I play the flute and I'm good at it. You should play the flute too. If everyone listened to me, there'd be an orchestra full of flutes and no real harmony. Beauty and harmony is in variety and difference. If we all accept each others choices and differences, regardless of what works for us specifically, the world would be much more harmonious
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Regarding WLS, there's recent news that it seems to provide health benefits (in some cases, even without weight loss).

http://www.dailybreeze.com/health/20...-research-says
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I don't recall seeing people here bash WLS. Whatever works for people. I certainly don't think it's an easy way out, as it takes just as much work or more than other ways to lose weight.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

It's very clearly against the rules at 3FC to "bash" WLS, so by all means report any posts that do.

As for other forums - keep in mind that:

a) - the anonymity of the internet breeds nastiness. People think they can be jerks with no consequences, so sometimes they are

b) - there is a "stigma" attached to WLS. This is totally wrong, but it's enough of a public bias that it's bound to get repeated. The best way to end it is to spread knowledge. Again, 3FC is a great resource for that

c) - If you haven't had WLS or been close to someone that has (I have), you have zero understanding. What most people think it is and what it actually is are two very different things.

So when someone gets down on you or anyone else about there "easy out", keep being encouraging. Because they are making massive life changes and working just as hard (if not harder) as everyone else.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, please do report any posts that bash WLS. The MODS will be quick to delete and even ban if warranted.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yes, we do not allow people to 'bash' weight loss surgery but you can certainly discuss the drawbacks or benefits.

The general rule here is do not go into the Weight Loss Surgery forum and try to debate weight loss surgery. If you want to debate surgery as a tool for weight loss and whatever dangers may be associated with it, you can do so in another forum unrelated to the WLSurgery forum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

My understanding is in the WLS section, bashing or even debating WLS is banned- that's the safe place for people who want to have or have had WLS to discuss it without encountering nay-sayers. Outside of the WLS section, you can discuss and debate- such as when someone asks, "Should I have WLS?", but I think bashing in general is not allowed on 3FC. That's how I understand it anyway. I try to always be nice, no matter what I have to say.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #12  
JazziBelle

S/C/G: see ticker

I find this forum INCREDIBLY TOLERANT OF ALL WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS/DECISIONS! It's one of the things that I love about it! people here are doing all kinds of plans and I don't think I've seen any criticism of any of them. only helpful suggestions!
Having an entire section for those who have had or are considering WLS is great and shows a lot of respect, IMHO........
JzBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

In my opinion, WLS is similar to anti-depression meds.

For a percentage of people they are the best option and for the rest there are better strategies. What this percentage is I have no idea because I am not an expert in either subject.

I use this analogy because in both cases, if the underlying problem is not addressed, you will only make the situation worse.

Does this mean I am a WLS basher?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
In my opinion, WLS is similar to anti-depression meds.

For a percentage of people they are the best option and for the rest there are better strategies. What this percentage is I have no idea because I am not an expert in either subject.

I use this analogy because in both cases, if the underlying problem is not addressed, you will only make the situation worse.

Does this mean I am a WLS basher?
From experience, I disagree with you on anti-depressants. I've done counseling for depression. I actually had my counselor say that I just needed to stay on anti-depressants (through a doctor) and no longer needed counseling as it had gotten me as far as I was going to go. Sometimes biology is the only cause of depression, and IS the underlying problem.

I have not had weight loss surgery. I have seen shows where the surgery does nothing to help the person because they don't change their habits, or they lose weight but eventually gain it back. I DO have experience losing weight on diets and gaining it back, I can tell you that!

I personally see weight loss surgery as a drastic step that forces someone to comply with a weight-loss diet. It is a step I think I would be too afraid to take. I think people who have WLS are very brave, and in no way do I see the surgery as a quick fix. It's not liposuction, it doesn't just remove all the fat automatically. WLS patients still need to put in all the work to lose weight.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: see ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
From experience, I disagree with you on anti-depressants. I've done counseling for depression. I actually had my counselor say that I just needed to stay on anti-depressants (through a doctor) and no longer needed counseling as it had gotten me as far as I was going to go. Sometimes biology is the only cause of depression, and IS the underlying problem. I have not had weight loss surgery. I have seen shows where the surgery does nothing to help the person because they don't change their habits, or they lose weight but eventually gain it back. I DO have experience losing weight on diets and gaining it back, I can tell you that!

I personally see weight loss surgery as a drastic step that forces someone to comply with a weight-loss diet. It is a step I think I would be too afraid to take. I think people who have WLS are very brave, and in no way do I see the surgery as a quick fix. It's not liposuction, it doesn't just remove all the fat automatically. WLS patients still need to put in all the work to lose weight.
Me, too. I've had more than one psychiatrist tell me my problem is brain chemistry and not one that any amount of therapy alone will "cure."

But I do agree that people who consider WLS should think long and hard about whether they can commit to the dietary changes they will have to make going forward from the operation. I have seen some success stories, and I have seen some failures.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote