Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #1  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Talking New Years Weight Loss Challenge

Hi Peeps!

Right ... time to get back on board the journey train to better health and a healthier lifestyle.

For those that are re-joining me from the Christmas Challenge .... WELCOME BACK!!

For those that are stopping in for the first time .. WELCOME IN!!

Here are the rules for this challenge

- Goes from Monday Jan 6th to Sunday April 27.

- Weigh in to be done any day of the week as long as all are posted by the end of the day on Saturday .. This will allow me time to collate the results to post on Mondays.

- Measurements - Now you don't have to post them .. but its a good idea to take them at the beginning of the challenge ... I will be doing this every 4 weeks (Jan 6, Feb 3, Mar 3 & Mar 31) and posting updates on here along with the weigh in results .. so I hope others will jump on board this NSV option too Will need to take WAIST, HIPS, BUST, Average for UPPER LEG & UPPER ARM.
Would also like to suggest that you take a pic each month too, preferably in the same outfit, and best if its a fitted one to start with.

- Posting results. Please do not post on the original post you put your weight in when you started .. just copy it and repost it so I don't lose track of it (I tend to babble a lot on here and so posts tend to get missed if its something I have to go back to find and I would hate to miss your result for the chart )

To get started: (Just copy and paste the red and fill it in - I find it a good idea to paste it onto a page on your desktop too, saves you having to look for your last update and makes it easier to post it).

START WEIGHT:
GOAL WEIGHT: (make it a challenge but realistic)
TOTAL TO LOSE:

Week 01 - JAN 06 - JAN 12:
Week 02 - JAN 13 - JAN 19:
Week 03 - JAN 20 - JAN 26:
Week 04 - JAN 27 - FEB 02:
Week 05 - FEB 03 - FEB 09:
Week 06 - FEB 10 - FEB 16:
Week 07 - FEB 17 - FEB 23:
Week 08 - FEB 24 - MAR 02:
Week 09 - MAR 03 - MAR 09:
Week 10 - MAR 10 - MAR 16:
Week 11 - MAR 17 - MAR 23:
Week 12 - MAR 24 - MAR 30:
Week 13 - MAR 31 - APR 06:
Week 14 - APR 07 - APR 13:
Week 15 - APR 14 - APR 20:
Week 16 - APR 21 - APR 27:

Soooo ... on Monday I will be posting my first weigh in .. my measurements & of course my pics ... for those that are new to my challenges I set a high target because I was getting married in December .. so I managed to lose over 50 pounds .. starting from scratch again though .. on to the next 50 .. although Im not sure if I will do it all in this challenge .. so will probably try for half of it.

I also hope that you will join in the chats or just to let us know how your day has gone .. going to try to post a bit of inspiration once a day too

Sooo WELCOME IN ... ITS THE FIRST CHALLENGE OF THE YEAR .. hope you all had a great Xmas & New Year too

Last edited by Nightkatt; 01-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I am a first timer up for a challenge

START WEIGHT: 280 Jan 02 (I will change the start weight on Monday)
GOAL WEIGHT: 260

Last edited by Larry H; 01-02-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Katt, you can't beat my temps for cold!!!!

Saturday, 4
Partly Cloudy
8 | -19 °F

Sunday, 5
Mostly Cloudy
-10 | -24 °F

THANK YOU for posting the next challenge... I am excited.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #4  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Nightkatt Thank you so much for doing this! I need all the help I can muster!
Just an idea, does anybody fancy buddying up to add more accountability and support?
START WEIGHT:
GOAL WEIGHT: under 300lbs

Here's to us!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Katt!
Thanks for starting this! I was a lurker last time but am so excited to join this time. I've been going on and on about it in the 300+ chat.
I weigh in on Mondays.
Oh I'm so excited!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Count me in! I'll weigh in on monday, yikers!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #7  
Trying again

Hi everyone!

LARRY - Wahoo ... glad to have a man on board Welcome onto the ship and hope you enjoy the journey I love your quote and I see by your ticker you are doing a great job .. hope to see you on the boards lots too

ISLES - ummm... yup .. you definitely colder ... heck we dont even get that low in our winter!! I gather snow is your companion at the moment? Weather is miserable in NZ at the moment .. we have gale force warnings the last 2 days .. very stormy and yuck .. but Im enjoying it .. I must be a duck lol.

MOUNTAIN WALKER - Welcome on board Glad you are joining us in this one As for accountability .. that is pretty much what the board is definitely for lol .. that is why I came in pretty much every day ... definitely made it easier for me to behave more often than not lol .. didnt want to have to come in here and admit where I boo booed lol. But Im happy to pm you whenever you want too

UBEE - Yay ... nice when a lurker steps forward Hopefully that means that you have enjoyed what you have seen and want to jump in feet first lol. Look forward to seeing you on the board with your babble (which will help make mine not look so much lol).

SILENT ARCTIC - Welcome on in .. glad to have you on board and will add you to the sheet See you for weigh in

Soooo here we go .. counting down lol .. well I am ... and I am trying my best to finish clearing out all the crap in the kitchen lol ... had a final splurge today as it was a family party to welcome back my nephew from Italy after a year .. as well as his belated 18th birthday & Xmas lol ... I did try to behave .. but there were a few treats I just couldnt pass up ... so tomorrow will be detox before my weigh in on Monday

I have been getting busy in the kitchen starting to work on my new cook book ... making everything dairy free ... but also trying to limit the gluten too if not cut it out ... so for the party I did a few extra experiments (figured while I will have a good range of tasters be a good time to get opinions lol) .... and I made:

Chicken in Filo Pastry (Chicken Mince, Mixed Herbs, Spring Onion, Red/Yellow & Orange Capsicum, Teriyaki, Sweet Chili Sauce .. and Goats Milk Feta) - went so well the plate was empty before anything else on the table lol ... I think I need to add more spice though and perhaps fresh herbs.

Almond & Lemon Flan (no flour or dairy). I need to work out how my oven is really working .. cos I think the thermometer is out lol .. but it worked out ok in the end .. although I do think I need to add a little more lemon, or rind .. and maybe even try some grapefruit or tangerine juice instead

Chocolate & Cranberry Brownies - another one that everyone loved.. but I still need to work on it a little more .. dairy and flour free .. low GI Sugar ... but Im going to try a little something else with this one as I wanted it more chewy .. and I might try Coconut Sugar

Carrot & Walnut Cupcakes - Really wasnt sure about the texture of these ones .. but they went down a treat with the teens (yay for vegetables!) again dairy and flour free ... need more in the way of nutmeg though I think.

Banana Cupcakes - These ones I meant to put coconut into but forgot .. and they were a spur of the moment one anyway cos I had some bananas that needed to be tossed if I didnt use them ... but the consistency was good I think and everyone enjoyed them too

Layered Filo Sweet - I need a shorter name than chocolate coconut cranberry layered slice lol .. Maybe 3 C Slice? Basically it was layers of filo with Dairy free chocolate chips, shredded coconut and dried cranberries scattered in between each layer .. these were a hit .. but I think I will work on this a bit more as I think the chocolate needed to be melted and spread rather than scattered to help hold the layers together better ... still it was a last minute idea to use up the rest of the filo lol.

And then when I got to my sisters I made a Coconut Cream Frosting ... no dairy again! But this one has given me the most inspiration lol .. it worked so well chilled (almost like a melted marshmallow consistency really) that I put a spoon of it on each of the cupcakes as an "icing" ... but Im going to have a good play with my basic idea and turn it into a dairy free low cal ice cream

Sooo you drooling yet?? lol .. sorry about that ... but on the plus side .. when I worked out the calories per serving it wasnt as bad as it could have been if I hadnt already started playing with the ingredients ... the chicken filo (per portion) was only 50 cal ... the cupcakes were a little higher with 200 cal each one (they werent the petite ones) ... the brownies were 120 cal .. and the almond/lemon cake was about 75 cal per portion So they are all the sort of treat that isnt going to break your calorie intake .. other than the cupcakes lol ..

Right .. cleaning day tomorrow before Im back to work .. so may not be on until tomorrow night again .. but will check in with my measurements and photos .. although it may not be the swimsuit one as its too darn cold (ish lol)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Hi Katt...

I am back and I want to join this challenge. I am going to work toward much more attainable goals this time. I was pretty overwhelmed with work and life and kind of put myself on the back burner but now I am back with a vengeance. I will weigh in Monday and post my numbers.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 341/321/250

Height: 5'9"

I'm in, need all the support/accountability I can get.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #10  
Trying again

START WEIGHT: 262.5
GOAL WEIGHT: 240
TOTAL TO LOSE: 22.3

Week 01 - JAN 06 - JAN 12: 262.5 (START)

MEASUREMENTS:
BUST: 129cm (50.8")
WAIST: 126cm (49.6")
HIPS: 136cm (53.5")
LEG AVERAGE: 66.5cm (26.2")
ARM AVERAGE: 42.5cm (16.7")

Last edited by Nightkatt; 01-05-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Corrected weight
Old 01-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #11  
Trying again

PJVW - So great to have you back on board Im glad you are jumping in again Keep in mind that putting yourself in the forefront is an unselfish act not a selfish one .. being happy within yourself means you can give more of yourself to those around you ...

LESLIEWENDY - Welcome to accountability 101 lol .. looking forward to seeing you on the boards
Old 01-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/140

START WEIGHT:
01/06/2014 261
Chest 48 1/2
Waist 47
Hips 59

GOAL WEIGHT: 241
TOTAL TO LOSE: 20 lbs

Week 01 - JAN 06 - JAN 12: 261

Ubee: Welcome – glad to see someone I can complain about the weather and they will TOTALLY understand.

Welcome silentartict

Pam, glad you are back…I too tend to put work and life ahead of myself also, Help me!!!!

LeslieWendy, we are all here and in the same boat.

Katt,
Thank you, once again, for starting this...I appreciate all you do on this thread. I am very excited...and already worrying about keeping my excitement going. So, this week I am going to come up with 'things' I can do to "motivate excitement".

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do" — Eleanor Roosevelt

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." — Norman Vincent Peale
Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #13  
Trying again

Hi everyone .. okee .. so this is officially Day 1! I hope you are all excited .. or nervous lol .. about this new challenge .. I will be in every day to babble (as some of you know I do tend to do that a lot lol) ... hopefully some of it will be insightful enough to help you ..

For those of you that are new and haven't read all my babble .. I have been on a weight loss journey of one kind or another most of my life .. I joined 3FC 8 years ago now (wow) and in that time I have been on a roller-coaster ... but life ALWAYS interfered and I would put myself at the bottom of the "must get to" pile. Whether I just didn't think about it or felt that deep down I wasn't worth the time, I really don't know ... but I did finally realise last year that whatever the thinking was .. it wasn't the right thinking.

I always thought that if I focused on me and what I wanted or needed I was being selfish .. I mean really .. how self-centred can a person be if they are thinking of what they look like and feel like when others around you seem to need so much??? So that was another thing that would put me off thinking about what I was really needing in my life.

When I was 25 I was home sick at (a rare thing for me) I happened to see an episode of Oprah which had Dr John Grey on (author of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus) and it was day 1 of a seminar he was doing on Oprah which would go over 12 episodes .. that first episode was a huge eye-opener and I had all these little light bulbs going off in my head .. so I recorded every other episode and, when I think about it .. that was the moment my life started changing ... still .. that was over 15 years ago lol .. so it has been a long journey hehehe ... obviously some lessons are not things I pick up easily

Not long after I signed up to 3FC with all the excitement and determination that you get when you are trying something new I lost my nephew to leukaemia ... he was only 11 and I felt devastated as he had been in remission for 5 years .. so it was sudden and destroying for the family who thought the worst was over .. and I went right off the rails not caring about myself at all and just being a shell really .. going through the motions and being there for everyone else instead Then would come the anger at my choices because I would use him as the underlying reason for it .. how dare I?? I should have been living right because of him .. not wrong .. but again .. its a lesson that takes time ..

Soooo fast forward ... 2012 my sister was diagnosed with Melanoma, and it didn't get a good prognosis ... even with surgery she was given a 60% chance of surviving 5 years ... again I was devastated. My sister and I weren't close most of growing up and living in different towns we had even less time together .. but after a car accident which almost killed her in 2010 I made the time and so did she and we have become closer than ever, and I felt terrible about all the time that was wasted and that I could lose her again But she is a very strong woman (4 years older than me and the core of our family really) and she refused to listen to the doctors .. so she did the operations that were needed and changed her lifestyle completely. She is my inspiration every day and recently my best wedding present was the news that the doctors had given her the clear verdict .. not that it will never come back .. but the percentage is definitely on her side more now

So there you go ... I got inspired to take control ... and to finally focus on myself ... which actually started when I turned 40 ... it was weird .. i was thinking OMG .. How did I get to this age??? I felt like I was letting time go away from me.. thinking I had all the time in the world to focus on what I need, want or deserve .... then of course I had a wedding to get ready for .. and I didn't want to look at my wedding photos and hate who I saw there ... so that is what really kicked my butt most recently .. I had already started changing how I was doing things .. I was cutting things out of my life that were pulling me down, as hard as that was in some cases, it was necessary for my survival....

So here is my question for you (if you have managed to make it through all that babble lol) ... what is in your life that is more important than you? Why is it more important ... and if you put it first all the time are you able to give the best of yourself to it? If you don't feel the best you can about yourself .. how can you give the best of yourself to others ..

That is why I said its NOT selfish to focus on yourself. Its along the lines of that saying "If you don't love yourself how can others love you" .. blah blah blah about that one .. Im not a fan of the whole love yourself lol .. that still sounds a little narcissistic to me lol .. but I wholly believe in LIKING who you are ... not necessarily all of your actions .. but I do believe you need to LIKE the core of you ... so .. DO YOU?

I hope that this challenge will get you to focus on yourself .. to like the core of you .... and I don't just mean you saying "yes I like myself" ... you need actions to show that .. and that means putting yourself, your health and your attitude to the front for a change .. heck .. take the next 16 weeks out of your usual routine ... lets see if you can switch your thinking a little to put yourself, maybe not first all the time, but up the front of your thinking ... be the best you can .. and then you can give the best to others

Hugs all .. thanks for reading lol
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #14  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm game! I'm a first-timer, too.

START WEIGHT: 289
GOAL WEIGHT: 267
TOTAL TO LOSE: 22

Greetings to the other folks I know: Ubee, silentarctic, Pam, Larry, Donna! And Happy New Year to all of y'all!

Nightkatt, I heard a good line about why it's not selfish to do things for yourself: "Empty pitchers can't pour out any love."

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-05-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Katt,
Thanks for sharing your heart warming and heart breaking story.
Mind if I ask (because I always do!) what was so eye opening on the Oprah show? Sorry, I've never read the book!
Isles, if you think we've got it cold wait till Silentarctic tells us her weather!
Still deciding on my goal...
Closed Thread