Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #1  
She's A Firecracker!

S/C/G: SW:267/ CW:200/ GW:130

Height: 5'2

Question Weird *** plateaus and metabolism?!

So I'm currently on a diet, have lost 62 pounds and I'm halfway to my goal. My diet is quite healthy but I notice I get into a plateau and it's been like this:

-lose weight (about 5 pounds, it never fails)
-Plateau for like 4 days
-(I decided to **** with my calorie intake so I pigged out for like 3 days)
-weight didn't change, didn't even go up!
-Got back into my clean eating and exercising
-(Lost another 5 pounds)

Now I can feel like my body is going to go into a plateau again. why am I dropping 5 pounds at a time by doing this? it's like the second time I've plateaued like this in 5 months.

Can someone tell me whats going on lol it's like no matter what im eating im not gaining a thing and I always thought I had a slower metabolism because I was a bigger girl.

Is it the fact I'm keep on kickstarting and confusing my body?
LittleMissWarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/135/110

Height: 5'2"

It might be that you are doing a calorie variation, which is what some people do to lose weight. There is a diet where you eat 800 calories a day, then 1000 the next day, then 1200 the next day and then you repeat the cycle. A lot of people like it because you can vary what you eat, and your metabolism shouldn't slow down.

However, what do you mean by pig out?

Because I know at least for me when I pig out I eat ton of food, and it always (without fail) causes me to gain weight. Especially, if I go from calorie restricting to overeating.

Also, are you exercising a lot?
I know that when I overeat I tend to sit on the couch and not exercise, which only makes matters worse. (Exercising curbs my hunger, motivates me and makes me happier, so I eat less food.)

But hey if what you are doing is working for you and you aren't gaining any weight and you don't feel deprived then I would go with it. It seems like a good thing!

Also, to get through the plateau's I would suggest a little extra exercise or cut back a little on calories or wait it out or fast.

I hate plateau's because it makes me feel like my efforts are for nothing and it makes me really unmotivated, that is why I don't look at the scale that much.
GetHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fat loss is not the same thing as weight loss.

Fat loss is fairly linear. Weight loss is not.

What you're calling a "plateau" is nothing of the sort. What you're experiencing is called water retention.

If you go for 8 weeks without having lost a single pound than you're in a plateau. People, especially women, can retain water for a long time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #4  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

What you're calling a "plateau" is nothing of the sort. What you're experiencing is called water retention.

If you go for 8 weeks without having lost a single pound than you're in a plateau. People, especially women, can retain water for a long time.
This.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote