View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Bunnydream
I can do it!

S/C/G: 272/260/150

Height: 5'7 Age: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
If you already cook a lot of what you eat, then you're ahead of the game.
It's really two separate issues:

1) Cooking in a healthy way (pan sear or bake instead of fry, cutting down some of the fat/calories, adding in vegetables, etc) to still give you the flavors that you want to eat.

If you need some ideas, I'd highly suggest browsing www.skinnytaste.com, www.cookinglight.com, and www.eatingwell.com to start. A few other notable blogs are www.emilybites.com and www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com

2) The second issue with food is portion control. If you familiarize yourself with serving sizes (2oz of dry pasta, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 3-4 oz of poultry/meat, 1-1.5 cups of soup, chili or stew) then you'll be able to get a better idea of how much to eat.

For example, to me, a 2oz portion of pasta is not filling. Instead of going hungry, I saute as many non-starchy vegetables as I want, mix with my pasta, and top with sauce. Voila, my bowl of pasta is huge, more nutritious, and I get a lot of calorie bang for my buck.

Planning
Another helpful tool for me is to make a dish and immediately separate it into the correct number of servings. I just eat one serving instead of sneaking forkfuls or just a bit more from a larger pot. I go further and freeze them, but that's just a personal preference so that I can stock up for long periods of time.

The most helpful thing I've done, though, is make a plan. I can pinpoint all of my past failure in eating well to having no plan. I'd say, "I'm going to eat healthy" but I had no idea WHAT I would eat.

For the past 6 years, I spend a few minutes writing down my meals with calorie counts and weight watchers points (you don't necessarily need to do that).
Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch:
Snack:
Dinner:
Snack:
Total: #of calories/points
I love your idea, and I've definitely thought of making meals and freezing them. (I need to put more effort like you hehe) Quite honestly, what you've said doesn't sound like a diet to me, just a bit of common sense. I do need a framework of a plan so that I know what I'm doing. I have a few ideas already, and I reallly appreciate those links, I get excited about cooking food that's healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Bunny,

I was almost exactly where you were a short 11 months ago. A 5 9 guy at 285.

I googled why am I so hungry after a huge fast food meal. My best google of all time. I finally learned about insulin, food storage, blood sugar. I learned I had put my body in permanent fat storage mode and was always hungry because my body was storing not using my calories.

Why would my body EVER burn it's stored fat? No reason to. It knew tons of sugar/carbs were just around the corner.

So I eliminated bread, pasta, potatoes, fast food, junk snacks. And it was MAGIC. Actually science. It was hard at first then my bodies ability to burn fat kindled. In carb counters there is a thread Why Am I low carb. You might enjoy it.
Yes, I know for a FACT that stuffing popcorn and eating bowl after bowl of rice and pasta is what is doing the damage. I've figured out that I won't be hungry for something sweet if there is nothing in the house! Fruits do the trick for me. I'm definitely removing the foods that are horrible for me...today! It's good to know you've made so much progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Tell me about it I hate snow!! And I hate cold! And this has been such an awful winter and it doesn't seem to want to end. Normally I don't have a problem going outside for a walk in bad weather but I have a toddler that I take with me in the stroller and well, I can't subject him to 20degree long walks in the park now can I? So I've done a lot of home workouts which are my least favorite kind of work outs (except for cardio machines, god I hate treadmills with a passion).

If you're looking for some support in changing the way you eat but NOT dieting then check out the intuitive eating threads. I feel so much better ever since I stopped dieting and much more in control of my body/mind/food intake. We have a lot of stuff we need to worry about, food shouldn't be one of them.
Right?! I bought Just Dance 2014 for the Wii U, which I used a lot for a while...but then our bedroom had flooding! So our mattress has been in the living room while the landlord fixes it up and then cleans the carpet. But it hasn't been finished yet BUT I do have a membership, and I promised myself I would go there today.
I will definitely be looking at your threads. I have been on diets my entire life since I was 13, I just don't want to diet anymore.