View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Munchy

S/C/G: 129/129/115

If you already cook a lot of what you eat, then you're ahead of the game.
It's really two separate issues:

1) Cooking in a healthy way (pan sear or bake instead of fry, cutting down some of the fat/calories, adding in vegetables, etc) to still give you the flavors that you want to eat.

If you need some ideas, I'd highly suggest browsing www.skinnytaste.com, www.cookinglight.com, and www.eatingwell.com to start. A few other notable blogs are www.emilybites.com and www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com

2) The second issue with food is portion control. If you familiarize yourself with serving sizes (2oz of dry pasta, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 3-4 oz of poultry/meat, 1-1.5 cups of soup, chili or stew) then you'll be able to get a better idea of how much to eat.

For example, to me, a 2oz portion of pasta is not filling. Instead of going hungry, I saute as many non-starchy vegetables as I want, mix with my pasta, and top with sauce. Voila, my bowl of pasta is huge, more nutritious, and I get a lot of calorie bang for my buck.

Planning
Another helpful tool for me is to make a dish and immediately separate it into the correct number of servings. I just eat one serving instead of sneaking forkfuls or just a bit more from a larger pot. I go further and freeze them, but that's just a personal preference so that I can stock up for long periods of time.

The most helpful thing I've done, though, is make a plan. I can pinpoint all of my past failure in eating well to having no plan. I'd say, "I'm going to eat healthy" but I had no idea WHAT I would eat.

For the past 6 years, I spend a few minutes writing down my meals with calorie counts and weight watchers points (you don't necessarily need to do that).
Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch:
Snack:
Dinner:
Snack:
Total: #of calories/points
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote