Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #217
Steelslady
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/278/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to say that I have been lurking in this thread almost since it started, as I have known for quite some time that I needed to up my fiber intake.

As some of you know, I practice intuitive eating exclusively, but you have provided me some great information about how to add fiber to my diet. I love English muffins but hadn't had any in quite some time, so I found some of the higher fiber ones and have been having one most days. I generally only have a little butter on it but my husband and I were just at the grocery store and I picked up a jar of Polaner All Fruit Blackberry spread. Looking forward to trying that tomorrow on my English muffin!

This is probably TMI, but I have suffered from chronic constipation over the last few years. Just adding some of this extra fiber to my diet has really helped. My goal is not weight loss but rather peace with food. However, I can tell I've lost a little weight, not only from IE but also because I've become more regular.

In my dieting past I have tried low-carb and I think one of the reasons I was so terribly unsuccessful with it was the horrible constipation I experienced. For someone who has problems already, it was untenable for me. But it's nice to hear that upping your fiber can result in weight loss. I see why; it fills you up, resulting in overall less food intake. I eat more vegetables than I do fruit, but I've never eaten as much of either as I should have. I'm a bread freak, so substituting a high-fiber English muffin for other bread products is easy for me to do.

Hope you don't mind if I continue to lurk. I like the information I'm getting here!
Welcome to the high fiber thread! Please feel free to chime in anytime and post with us. We're a fun and friendly group, and everyone here is so helpful and encouraging to one another. No judgments here- we all want one another to succeed.

I know what you mean about the constipation on Atkins. I am very very regular myself, always have been. I always ate lots of veggies and some fruit on a daily basis, so when I tried this diet (lasted a total of four days each time, 3 different attempts), I was stunned at the agony I was in by the third day each time. I must have drank enough water to fill a pool on those days. The Psyllium husks did absolutely nothing to relieve it. It just isn't meant for me or my body type, and it's just not worth it for me to even attempt it again (my doctor forbids me from doing it).

I also think it had a hand in my gall bladder being infected. I almost died from it. My gallbladder problem was hereditary, and both my Mom and I cannot eat high amounts of fats (only good fats, like olive oil and peanuts). On Atkins, your encouraged to eat the fat on the meats- well, honestly, it just didn't settle with my system very well, let's just say. By the fourth day, each time I did it, I was so nauseous, backed up, and in pain, that at first I thought I had the stomach flu, as just looking at anything with protein made me sick to my stomach. My body was trying to tell me something, and it took three times and a trip to the doctor to tell me why it wasn't working for me, lol.

Also, I never ever ever had an issue with my cholesterol until I tried low carb diets. My doctor approved of me trying Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure Diet, so long as I never went under 80 carbs a day. While I slowly, and I do mean slowly, lost some weight (26 pounds in six months- so much for the "lose 4-7 pounds a week on this diet!" promise), my cholesterol went sky high- it's taken me three years to get this back under control. I am hoping to be off of Crestor soon- I don't want to be on it anymore. I also did the Carbohydrate Addict's diet for a year- great diet, but again, way way way too high in fat/protein for my body. I found myself dreading the Complimentary Meals because all that protein made my stomach turn. I did get in around 100 or so carbs a day on that diet, but it was just too much protein for my body. So, now I balance my food every day- high protein (low fat, of course!) and high fiber. It's working for me, and I feel invigorated and not exhausted all the time. I enjoy what I eat and don't dread certain meals anymore. It's a great balance for me, and it works.

Glad you posted today, and I hope you continue to do so. Feel free to add any hints or suggestions, or ask for any help, if you need it. It's nice to have another Fiber counter on board! We're all doing it differently, but each one of us has found a way to lose that is healthy for our body types.

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-

Last edited by Steelslady : 04-02-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote