View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #215
Steelslady
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/283/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Steelslady I thought of you when I read in the new book that Atkins is really eating high protein and higher fiber low carb veggies. I think I remember you saying that you eat high protein/high fiber.

I had such a problem yesterday with just getting my calories about 1000 that I overate and I know that is why I suffered so. It was 4 am before I was eased enough to lie down in bed to sleep. So you can imagine how I was pleased to see in the new book that while they recommend 4 or 5 small meals, they also allow you to eat less often. They have a few rules that sound more like Intuitive Eating because they suggest eating only when you are hungry and to eat as much as it takes to satisfy you and the biggie for is they recommend that you not go more than 5 or 6 hrs without eating something. This is good for me because when I did IE (my favorite way of eating) there were days that I could eat as soon as I got up and maybe eat up to 5 or 6 meals, however, there were a lot of days that I just didn't get hungry and might only eat a couple of meals. It will be nice to be on a plan that allows me to go longer without food when I'm not hungry. I know I've discussed this with my doctor and he agrees that I should not eat if I'm not hungry. Most diets don't allow me this option. So I really believe when my tummy is better that I'm going to really enjoy doing this. I'll still get the fiber I need. One nice thing about working the Atkins plan is that I will learn my low carb fiber limit that my body can handle and I still lose weight.

Fiber is only around 8 to 12 g a day right now, but that is only for a few weeks and then I will begin raising it a little at a time. I'll do it right this time. Oh, my fasting blood sugar was 121 mg this morning. The lowest it has been in about 6 or 7 yrs.

Thanks for being here chickies.
Yes, indeed, I definitely eat a high protein/high fiber diet. Keeps me full and satisfied, eating this way. While the weight isn't falling off of me in leaps and bounds, it is coming off. I have so much more energy and my stamina is just amazing. I work out anywhere between two to three hours a day, six days a week now, and I feel fabulous! What a difference this change in my eating has made for me!

I am so happy about your sugars coming down- way to go!!!!! You must have been on cloud nine! Funny, I knew there was something I wanted to tell you before about resistant starches, but I couldn't remember what it was until I saw diamondgeog's thread in the Low Carb board about the guy eating carbs on a low carb diet. Here is the thread, it might help you out when you start eating carbs again, especially juices, to balance out the sugars: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb...nt-starch.html

I used to use Bob's Red Mill Natural Potato Starch, Unmodified, in my sauces and juices mixtures and anything sweet. My sugars were beautiful back then, and honestly, I only added it because I heard it helped cut down on hunger- I was not aware at the time that it may be beneficial for diabetics or people with low blood sugar. It is tasteless, so no worries about it altering the taste of any food you mix it with. I started using it when my daughter had to start eating gluten free, and we did notice that foods made with it made us feel fuller longer, a stunning find we didn't expect- it took us awhile to figure out why we got fuller on sauces and such that we used to eat much more of before.

I looked it up just for the heck of it, and there were some articles about resistant starches and the benefits it has on lowering appetite and allegedly, blood sugar. Read the article in that thread- might be something you may want to try when you decide to go a bit higher in carbs. I think I am going to pick up another bag of it and use it again. I stopped using it because I found a cornstarch that my daughter could eat that was gluten free and it made the sauces thicker for me than the potato starch, hence why I stopped using it. I also had a lot going on back then when I stopped using it (mother-in-law died a slow death from gall bladder/liver cancer, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery or I would have died in two days- both my mother-in-law and I had suffered the exact same symptoms- scary!!!!! Also, my youngest daughter's cancer problems/surgery, my oldest daughter's sinus surgery- all within an 8 month time frame, with several other things besides that going on, like my son getting in a bad accident the day before my youngest daughter's surgery! I have no clue as to how I survived all that, as a mother!)

So, perhaps tomorrow, I shall pick up a bag and add it to my orange/banana/pineapple juice in the morning. Maybe mix it up with the PB2 that I love to eat on my English muffins with the Polaner fruit preserves. I do notice that when I eat the Polaner, I seem to get hungry sooner than if I don't, as well as the fruit juices make me hungry as well sooner. Not too bad, but enough that I have to have a good amount of protein with the juice or fruit preserves, or I will be snacking within a few hours, lol.

I finally found the PB2 at the GNC at the mall that my sister and I went to the other day- I was thrilled! I absolutely love it- less calories and it really tastes awesome! I wonder if the potato starch would help out with the Polaner- I love the preserves, but again, I find myself a bit hungry sooner than I want to be, after eating it. I don't want to give it up- it gives me my "sweet treat" for the day, and is much healthier than a candy bar or other baked goods, which I rarely eat anyway.

Anyhow, I am thrilled that Atkins is working for you already- keep it up! You can always get back to high fiber later, when your sugars are balanced out and you climb up the post induction ladder. I wish I could do low carb, even for a few months, but my doctor forbids me from it. I've seen it do wonders for some folks, while others struggled with it. It seems to either work great for some, or not at all for others. As I say, one size doesn't fit all, and we need to adjust our diets according to our bodies needs, and not anyone else's. It sounds like this is helping you already with your sugar levels- I hope it continues to do so for you!

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote