Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default cardio vs weight training

So im currently down 39 lbs. Mostly because of diet. I started exercising for the oast 2 weeks. Is it okay to only do cardio 5x a week? Id like to get too 200 or so before starting to do weights. I started the couch to 5k. But its only for 3 days. I want to workout atleast 5x a week. I was doing a mile a day before the couch to 5k.

Id love any advice suggestions. Im new toexercising.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

So impressed with your progress, BreannaJ! Congratulations on your weight loss. In my opinion, I think it's fine to do cardio 5X per week. I don't know what you're doing but you might want to make sure you're giving yourself enough variety so you don't get bored. Prior to having issues with my meniscus (both of them) I was running every other day, doing the elliptical on other days, and taking a turbo kick class as well. In addition, I was doing a Body Pump class. Since the trouble with my knees began I've been lifting heavy weights for the last three months in order to try to strengthen the muscles around knees to see if it helps alleviate some of my issues and to prepare me for surgery if I went that route. Much to my surprise heavy lifting has done just that! I tell you all this because since beginning lifting in January, I don't think I've had so much fun in the gym. It's friggin' fun to lift heavy things!!! And while the scale has only inched down a few pounds, my body has started transform. Clothes that didn't used to fit me now do; I see a decrease in my belly fat; and I've lost several inches.

I say go for it girl! You're probably seeing some amazing changes already in your body with all the cardio you're doing. Add some heavy lifting and you'll see more. Check out the Weight and Strength Training thread. I'd also recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Congrats again and keep us posted!

PS. The strength training was recommended by my doctor.

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 04-01-2014 at 08:07 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Breanna on your weight loss so far I have done only cardio for years and it has done great for ME. I did do Curves also at one point which helped me tone and I loved it. I am back to only cardio and I just added up my weight loss so far which is 34lbs since January 2013. In 2010 I loss 30lbs in 3.5 months only walking an outdoor track 5-6 times a week 3 miles plus. I don't know why it's taking so long this go around. But again cardio works for me
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Sounds OK although you could start some weight training sooner if only to break up the cardio and make exercise more fun. My take on cardio is it essentially accelerates your weight loss. And by that, I mean it accelerates your fat and muscle loss (but it is good for your heart and lungs).

Build in some weight training at some point to maintain muscle. It helps you to avoid looking "gaunt".

I lost 60 pounds with diet alone. Then started weight training at about 220lbs. And then started running soon after. I built up slowly and run 6-7 days a week now and weight train 4-5 days a week.

I noticed that weight training has helped tone by body much more than running. But at heavier weights (180lbs+), the running shifted the scale more.

Last edited by IanG; 04-01-2014 at 08:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

5x is totally fine, however for me it's the max. I also do my weights & cardio in the same workout session as per my trainer - about 30-40 high intensity cardio & then about 30 weights. So far so good!

Congrats on your success thus far!
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
So im currently down 39 lbs. Mostly because of diet. I started exercising for the oast 2 weeks. Is it okay to only do cardio 5x a week? Id like to get too 200 or so before starting to do weights. I started the couch to 5k. But its only for 3 days. I want to workout atleast 5x a week. I was doing a mile a day before the couch to 5k.

Id love any advice suggestions. Im new toexercising.
If you're new to exercise depending on your routine 5 days may be too much to start out with. Start with 3 days a week (1 hour workout)!then as you get comfortable move up to 4 and 5 times a week. Personally I like Jazzercise because it incorporates dance aerobics, weights, balls and band in a 1 hour class.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote