View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #54
MauiKai
Aloha nui loa

S/C/G: 181/TKR/165

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Wow isn't it amazing how we can all be so different in our relationship with food. I remember so fondly the times that I would work on the farm with my grandmother picking green peppers and tomatoes and other veggies. I remember vividly biting into a freshly picked green pepper. I can't ever eat a pepper without remembering those times, ever!

I remember my wedding cake like it was yesterday. It was carrot cake and it had this amazing layer of cream cheese frosting that was out of this world, not sweet at all but savoury and spicy. We tried finding the bakery that made our cake afterwards but we kept driving by over and over and could never find it, even though it's in our own neighborhood. We'd call them and they'd be like "yea we're on the corner of 35th St. and Broadway" and then go there and we couldn't find it. I'll find it sometime I swear it! Can't eat carrot cake without reminiscing about my wedding.

Well, you get my point, memories and food are tied very closely together. I remember people, events, activities, vacations through food. Gosh I remember having pizza in Italy for the first time - revelation ding ding ding! If someone told me I would go to Italy again and not eat pizza I'd cry rivers!
I don't have those sorts of memories. I "remember" my wedding cake, and I know it tasted like cake...maybe better than average cake, but still cake. I remember that the pineapples we eat while in Maui are better than the ones I get while we're in WI. But I don't have the kind of food memories that you do apparently. I never associated things with food because it's so temporary I guess. And there will always be another cake, another cheese wheel etc. So I never made it that important. Sometimes a SONG will bring me a memory, but it's never happened with food that I can recall. Just "I remember that restaurant was good" but nothing specific.

"Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote