View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #53
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha18 View Post
I agree that food should be pleasure at times! What we do to lose weight is what we have to keep doing to make it stay off forever, so it should be manageable and even enjoyable. Of course, there are many different plans people prefer, and choosing the one that fits individually is the way to go.

When I stopped thinking that I would have to live off of salads and chicken, or cut out food groups to lose weight, the weight started to come off for the first time ever. Personally, for me, restricting certain foods gives food too much power. I spend too much time obsessing over what I can't eat if I totally ban food groups and end up feeling deprived and quitting. But if I give myself permission to eat anything in moderation, I'm able to eat my food, feel satisfied, and move on. I also developed a new liking for vegetables, fish, etc... and healthy habits in combination with moderation works for me so far. If I cut out a food I loved permanently, I'd end up cracking and eating too much of it eventually, whether it's a month from now or 10 years down the road. If I don't cut it out, then I can control myself around it because I know it's now the last time I'm going to eat it.

There is something to be said about why celebrating with food has been done through-out human history. The book, French Women Don't Get Fat, covers why enjoying food can actually help some people lose weight or stay thin.

I also have memories that come back to me and make food more enjoyable. I remember when I was a kid, my family would take bikes and water balloons out to the fishing park, and we would barbecue food. Now anytime at a barbecue surrounded by people I like on a nice day, I definitely see no harm in enjoying a cheeseburger. It brings back that happy care-free summer feeling, and I'm more likely to eat less because I'm happy and satisfied. After trick or treating, we would come in to a pot of hot chili, and now my Halloween would feel weird without chili. The only time of year I have cheesecake is on Christmas because of tradition and happy memories. I never really ate candy or candy bars, even at my highest weight, but I do allow some snickers or reeses on Halloween because that's the only time of year eating them is enjoyable because of the moment and memories.
I am actually good with all of that. I still eat potatoes even though I don't feel they are good for me. Not a lot and a fraction of what I did before.

But I have eliminated grains because of the overwhelmingly bad health impacts on me. That is an easy ongoing decision because there isn't a food invented yet that is worth back pain and allergies and a bunch of other stuff that have gone away with eliminating them. And the back pain wasn't via weight loss. I still had it around 220 lbs. That is when I gave up my last grain, it went away in a couple of days. Then I experimented and ate some corn again and it came right back.

It is interesting to me though that a year ago, I would have been no way can I ever give up fast food or wheat. Then grain free would have been mind blowing. I would have said it never would have worked for me. So I understand people saying that. Believing it. I believed it. And everyone is different. I am sure it would never work for a whole lot of people. If it doesn't work, don't do it, find something that does.

But how can anyone think they would say 'crack' in 10 years if they haven't even gotten to say one year? Has someone gotten to 10 years and cracked? Is it a guess that after you truly eliminated something for say 9 months or a year that it will get harder say the tenth year or the fifth year or third year or whatever? It is just interesting to me.

If you truly believe something is unhealthy, versus OK in moderation (two entirely different viewpoints) I think anyone can achieve anything. Obviously the vast majority of people here and in the world don't think grains are as harmful as I do.