View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Locke

S/C/G: 420/338/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I don't want to be the girl who brings her own lunch to a picnic. I don't want to eat before I go to a party. I don't want to watch other people enjoy food while I can't. I don't want to feel like I'm powerless in front of food, like I can't meet my friends out for drinks and dinner. I'm a social creature and social functions serve food. I have to learn to live in peace with that.
This. I had a good friend who finally had the honesty to bring to my attention how illogical my relationship with food was. Our group of friends was talking about food and he mentioned how I should add bacon to something. "I don't eat bacon." was my response. He sort of looked at me incredulously. He said, "Locke, you don't eat bacon, you don't eat sandwiches, you don't eat french fries, you don't eat ice cream... what the **** is wrong with you? Those are delicious foods that you should enjoy the h*** out of. Don't eat them for every meal, just eat them in moderation and don't feel guilty."

His insistence that I enjoy what I am eating and don't look at them as "trigger" foods is what pushed me into IE. Pleasure is my goal at eat meal and this has been the key to bringing sanity towards food back into my life. I'm willing to admit now that I'm a foodie- I LOVE food. I eat junk food. I eat healthy food. I just eat food and I eat it so that I enjoy it- slowly and savoring each bite.

The idea that certain foods have the power to make you fat is everywhere in our society. Every time I pull up a news website I see at least one article that says something like "THE TEN FOODS YOU SHOULD NEVER EAT AGAIN." or "STOP EATING THIS IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT." In my experience foods don't have the power to make you fat. You can overeat on fat free cottage cheese and celery. I know I have.

Last edited by Locke : 03-31-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote