Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Give Me Strength

Trying yet again to be the nice guy that he is, our manager brought in doughnuts!
We have all been working very hard in our department over time, training etc. I know he is only trying to show his appreciation for all the hard work we do.
The boxes started out behind my cube this morning, now they are in the front of the room.
I keep telling myself they are poison, I already had breakfast and I don’t need them….BUT IT IS SO HARD. I hear them calling my name.
I have a sneaky suspicion doughnuts might be a trigger food. What do others do when faced with a situation like this?

DietDevil
DietDevil2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #2  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I am sorry that so sucks. Maybe think about having one of your favorite lunches or dinners that is still healthy. Then you can focus on that instead?

You can do it!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #3  

It won't taste as good as you think it will. Whenever I have a craving for something I get this strange "mouth taste" like my mind is imagining how it will taste. My brain exaggerates terribly- it never tastes as good as I thought it would.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

What really works for me is that you need to imagine that someone else has touched every single one of the donuts, trying to find the right one. Maybe someone sneezed on them. What if your manager's kids were in the car with him when he got them and they touched the donuts? Did they wash their hands this morning?

Just sayin.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #5  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Think about this: donuts will always be there to eat!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/163/125

Height: 5'3"

Maybe bring a snack that you like that is healthy and tell yourself this is my snack this is going to help me reach my goal the donuts are just going to set me back. ask yourself what's more important at the time. plus it's ok to cheat every now and then just don't go over board
cassiellynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

This is my personal journey, it may not work for anyone else.

But I was able to go grain free. It had a PROFOUND impact on my hunger. Unless you experience it, you can't imagine. Nothing triggers me anymore.

I found something yesterday that might help people. Yeah it is hard to make the transition. Someone likened it to childbirth. Obviously I don't know about that.

But she was saying you know how people say I am never doing that again when they have just had a child? Well you kind of forget how hard it is...but after the first one people know it isn't particularly pleasant but they want the joy of being a parent.

Well the transition is not particularly pleasant. But then you can, if it works, be hunger free for the rest of your life. Which next to my wife and daughter is about the most awesome thing and joy that has happened to me the last couple of decades. Cutting out non-veggie carbs many people talk about a 'flu' for a few days. You have to reawaken your bodies ability to burn and use stored fat as fuel.

I had a mild case of that. Then I had a few challenging weeks. After 3-4 weeks it was self-sustaining. Some people find it is a couple month transition period.

We have donuts every week, haven't had any since the journey. It gets easier and easier and easier. Now I personally have cheese. And meats and butter and some nuts and wonderful veggies. Plenty of wonderful stuff so I don't feel deprived at all.

And after the transition period very little will power needed. Many can do fine on moderation. But this is what worked for me, so I am presenting it as one possible way. I could not be happier with where it got me.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 03-28-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #8  

Oh now that just might work, if you really think that way you could gross yourself out big time. Doughnuts are poison and dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
What really works for me is that you need to imagine that someone else has touched every single one of the donuts, trying to find the right one. Maybe someone sneezed on them. What if your manager's kids were in the car with him when he got them and they touched the donuts? Did they wash their hands this morning?

Just sayin.
DietDevil2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

On a less dramatic scale then my going grain free suggestion (and I just started with wheat free then decided to go for it more), you can suggest or even bring in yourself cheeses, veggies, hummus, nuts, etc.

That has started happening where I am at. You might find a ton of people would rather have those than doughnuts. In fact I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Stay strong!!! My co-worker brought me COOKIES last week. I was like, "Why do you hate me?" and he's like, "What? They're gluten free AND dairy free!" and I was like, "Yeah, but they're not CALORIE free!". And yeah, I ate them. And I totally regretted it. Don't give in!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Good advice already given, here's my suggestion: hot tea, lots of cups of hot tea! Hot tea will give you that full-belly, slightly oogly feeling that might help take the edge off too.

And I just hope the donuts get finished and gone SOON so the temptation will be over for you! Hang in there!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #12  

Sometimes I find it helpful to think about *why* I want a donut when I'm not hungry. Do I feel tired and want a quick pick-me-up? Then I grab a black coffee instead. Am I bored? Cranky? Sad? Then I need to figure out how to address these issues another way. Do I just want to taste something good? Well if I'm not hungry it's not going to taste that good. If I really, really want a donut (this is more rare than you'd think) then I pick one out, put it somewhere safe (so the hyenas I work with don't get it) and eat it along with my lunch (that I eat less of). That's my approach, but I also like the tea idea. Tea is delicious!

Last edited by Locke; 03-28-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Find someone with gum and chew it! You can't sneak a doughnut while you chew gum
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i tell myself often that, for example, donuts are everywhere...at every store...and i could go get a donut, or 3 or 20, anytime i want to...i don't need to eat the donuts in the staff room or right over there...because it's not the last donuts out there and, if i ever really REALLY TRULY want a donut that badly, they are always right there at the store and i can get one anytime i want

for me, that takes the mental pressure off myself because i struggle alot with feeling like i need to eat it ALL RIGHT NOW because it'll get eaten up by someone else and i won't get any....if i didn't know better, i'd swear food was scarce or restricted in my childhood but it really wasnt....i didn't grow up in poverty and i didn't grow up in a dysfunctional setting...but somehow i'm programmed to want ALL the food RIGHT NOW
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #15  
diamondgeog

This is just one of many articles on the subject:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun...unger-20130627

If you can keep up resistance with having all your old foods on the plate, awesome. I personally had to just stop having fast food, doughnuts, potato chips, bread, pasta altogether.

Ultimately it was easier and wildly successful. I was just fighting hunger and urges all the time. Which were completely normal and expected for what I was eating.

It wasn't until I knocked out the above that I was just naturally hunger free 24/7. I then started adding the odd thing back in. Me, my wife, and daughter share one serving of fries now and have leftovers. Before one just for me would leave me famished.

If the various suggested straiges work for you: awesome. They never did for me until I fundamentally changed my Way of Eating. This is just how I succeeded, nothing more.

But to get back to my earlier post about people liking healthier choices at work. It is real for my workplace. When doughnuts are brought in maybe 20-30% of people have them. But almost everyone has veggies, cheese, hummus, fruit when it is brought to our breakfasts.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 03-29-2014 at 09:20 AM.