Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default 2014 - C25K - We're all runners!

Hey guys, I thought I would start a new thread. I figured we could forego the by the month thread and just have one!

A place to check in, stay accountable and share your C25K's success!

Here are some helpful threads from the past:

Jan C25K - Running Wild

Feb C25K - Running Wild

1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner! Sept 2013

1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner!

The Couch to 5k (C25K) Running Plan Thread #2

Starting C25K at a higher weight: C25k? and Couch to 5 K

There are lots of (Free!) C25K Apps out there both for IOS and Andriod!

Zen Labs - C25k

Couch To 5K - By The Active Netowrk

Non-app workout plan here

Some more info

Welcome to C25K! We are all runners now!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Wednesday I competed W4D2! Woo Today will be D3. I fully intend on repeating this week as I am fairly certain if I try to jogging for 5 minutes 3 times, I will in fact die!

Sounds like everyone is still chugging along!

Rated and AwShucks - Are you guys ready to dive into to week 5? And I didn't think about it as a combined jogging time before.. I've always just been super stoked to be able to jog for a minute AT ALL! 16 minutes is CRAZY
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #3  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

W3 down. I ran two days in a row and regretted it, so never again. Not so much because it hurt, but my legs were SO tired it made the run really unbearable. Then my shins hurt for the rest of the day. So start W4 on Monday, hopefully that will give me a couple of days to rest my legs a bit.

Good luck for your week's coming up everyone!
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I am planning on starting W5 on Sunday. I thought I might repeat week 4 but the difference between W4D2 and W4D3 was huge for me. I was struggling on the 5 min sections but yesterday they were definitely doable. Silverfire you might be surprised by the difference as well. But I have repeated a lot of weeks so it could be a good idea.

What I am worried for is W5D2 and W5D3. 8 min running sections and day 3 a 20 min continuous run! I think I might repeat W5D1 for the entire week instead.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #5  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey Silverfire! I'll be moving on to the infamous week 5 on Monday. Finished wk4 day 3 after work today. I'm doing my best not to listen to my podcasts ahead of time so don't psych myself out and just do what they tell me to do. Week 5 is 3 different scenarios, and I think it might be better to be a surprise! I do know that day 3 is the 20 minute run. Not sure I can do it, but I'll try. I felt today that I might be able to do a little longer than 5 minutes... We'll see.

I'm awfully slow, though. Seriously, people who are speed walking pass me when I'm running! ha! Everything I've read says run as slow as you can -- if you can run slower, you're going too fast. And, I'm running in time with the music provided.... I don't know. I'm just moving and that's a good thing.

My podcasts told me that it added up to 16 minutes. I probably wouldn't have realized that either. It also said that this week we ran for more time than we walked. Now, that's progress!

Hi Lilmiss. Keep up the good work! I'm finding that my legs tire out before the rest of me, too. Surprisingly, catching my breath is not as hard as I imagined, but I have to will my legs to keep moving when I'm nearing the end... I hope that gets easier.

I had lunch with a friend today that I hadn't seen in a while and told her I was "teaching myself to run" -- and she proceeded to tell me that after being a long-time runner herself, she decided that it was too much stress on the body and joints to run and that I could get the same effective workout without putting that much pressure on my body. Ugh! Why couldn't she just say "Way to go! So glad you're being active." I just sat and listened... She really just wanted to talk and didn't ask much about me. So much for "friends." It's so good to have folks like you guys on this forum to "talk to".
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #6  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Hi there; can I come and play? I usually hang out in the 40+ threads, but I've just started "running" so I've been checking out the threads here for warnings/advice.

I downloaded the free version of 5krunner and ran the free bits (4 sessions) in a figure 8 in my living and dining rooms as preparation for running outdoors (because outdoors is NOT flat) and then started over with day one. It was hard, but I did it

I plan on repeating a lot, so I should be here for a while, but hope to be able to run 5k over any terrain (as I said, Switzerland is not flat) by the end of the summer. Just wanted to say 'hi' and thanks for all the helpfull posts and links so far!
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Hiya! I've been kind of stalking the February thread, and I'm so excited to be able to join you for this new one! I finished C25K after my first kid and was running 3-5 miles a few times a week before I got pregnant again. I had this baby in January and just got cleared by my midwife to start strenuous exercise again, so I can't wait to start running again.

Honestly, I'm kind of nervous this time. I'm about fifteen pounds heavier and in overall worse cardiovascular shape than I was when I did it last time, but hey, repeating the occasional week won't kill me. I'm planning to start W1D1 on Monday. I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to do it on a treadmill for a while, since my only way to get out there without my kids is to take advantage of my gym's free childcare. Treadmills are so much more boring than doing it outside. But still, running is running, and I'm excited to be here.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #8  
I think I'm losing it!

Welcome MagicSusan and BigChiefHoHo! So glad there are others joining us! I don't have anyone "in real life" to discuss running with, as everyone I approached about starting with me a month ago turned me down! And, the few people I've told about my progress aren't supportive or just aren't interested.

Running is so new to me that I'm dying to talk about it! One of my most vivid memories of elementary school is huffing and puffing when the coach told us all to "run around the big tree" - maybe half a mile. I was always the last one to make it back to the playground, and I can distinctly remember how my lungs burned as I tried to catch my breath. With that memory, I've NEVER considered running as an adult. It continues to amaze me that I can do it and that it's not killing me! ha!

Best of luck to you both and keep us posted! And, Susan, I'm 48, so we have that in common!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #9  
Determined!

AwShucks Yes! Legs..feel..soooo...heavy!!! I can control my breathing but I can't control my legs. I am also very slow. I'm just concentrating on making it through the running, once I feel more accomplished then I will worry about speeding up. I'm hoping it will get easier both as I get more used to the running + continue to lose weight so I don't have to drag so many excess kgs/lbs around!!!

You Week 5 guys are scaring me!!!! Eek! It is inspirational having people ahead of me... Reminds me that it's doable!

Hi BigChiefHoho & Magicsusan
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

AwShucks - I don't remember much about running except avoiding it as much as possible. In gym class, whenever we had to run the mile, I would just walk and be the last one to finish because I didn't want to be embarrassed about huffing and puffing after running (and probably being the last one to finish anyway). I was surprised last time to find how much I really liked it.

lilmisschattabox - I'm totally the opposite. My lungs are killing me before my legs feel a thing. And I'm super slow too, but we can always speed up later after we can run for more than a minute or two, right?

Anyway, I just finished w1d1! It was hard, but not as bad as I was expecting. I mean, I finished it! I was kind of expecting to have to work up to it. I'm almost tempted to go a bit harder on the walking portions (I just did 3.0mph) to burn a few more calories, but I think I'm going to wait. It'll get harder on its own soon enough.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #11  
I'm on an Adventure!

S/C/G: 230.4/222.4/140

May I ask what C25K is. I'm new around here lol
ChicaCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #12  
I think I'm losing it!

Welcome, ChicaCoy! Couch to 5K is a running (actually more like walk/jog) plan that gradually gets you from sitting on the couch to running 5K in 9 weeks. You can see the outline of the program, here.

Here's another site with an explanation, and the podcasts that I downloaded to guide me through it.

Give it a look. I knew about it for a couple of years before I finally determined I'd give it a try. I'm really amazed that it's doable at my size. I thought runners had to be super light!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #13  
Determined!

W4D1 (can't believe I'm up to W4 already!!)... and it was okay! I just kept my pace slow and steady and I made it through. So I was pretty happy with that

BigChiefHoho I really concentrate on my breathing when I'm running (in through nose, out through mouth) and continue to breathe like that when I get to the walking parts, which helps me catch my breath and set me up for the next running portion. It's starting to come automatically now and I haven't had probs with my breathing like I did in the beginning. But yes, I'm definitely waiting until I'm a bit more proficient at the running for a period of time thing before I start speeding up. I figure if I'm moving, it can only be a good thing!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #14  
I'm on an Adventure!

S/C/G: 230.4/222.4/140

Thanks for the links. I will definitely check it out
ChicaCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #15  
I think I'm losing it!

Well, crud! I went to the gym after work and my ipod was dead! So, I couldn't start week 5 tonight. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going to get up early and run before work in the morning. I'm just excited to see if I can do it and also to keep on schedule. I have a strength training class tomorrow after work, so I know I can't do it afterward.

I walked and read on the treadmill tonight, and it's been a while since I've done that. I do a hills program and keep it around 3mph. I did notice that I didn't sweat as much as before. I wanted to run so I could see just how fast my running is, but there were too many people around. It's different when I'm on the track - people don't bother me as much. On the treadmill, I feel like the sound of my feet echoes!

Hope everyone else is doing well! Keep on running!

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-03-2014 at 09:20 PM.