View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

I agree with others that you have got to get your emotional issues under control- that is the biggest part of preventing binge eating. Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen - her technique is to label urges to binge as coming from a primitive part of the brain and to separate those from your conscious thoughts. Overcoming Overeating has also been helpful for me. Part of the reason that I continued to have food issues is that I was restricting foods. I always had to have an eating plan- vegan, low carb, etc. etc. I got stuck in the mindset that "carbs are bad" or "fat is bad" or "meat is bad". So I would restrict and my body would have cravings.

A huge part of my recovery has been to allow myself to eat foods that I used to restrict. I drink milkshakes and eat candy bars. Since I started eating "trigger" foods with the mindset that I can have them whenever I want I have not had a single binge. As a diagnosed bulimic this is HUGE. I realize that this may not work for other people- we are all at different places in our lives and have different experiences and food issues. Two bulimics or people with BED won't necessarily both recover with the same treatment. I just feel a freedom that I haven't had in a long time and I wanted to share that with you- it's possible to recover, you just have to work hard at it and try different things. You are responsible for your own happiness.
“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” - Nelson Mandela
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote