Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #1  
Trying hard

Height: 5'.5"

Default The start of a new me

Forgive me for trespassing but the UK forum seems a bit quiet and I need all the support I can get. So I've cut and pasted my yesterday post in here

Just got back. I’ve had the go ahead from my doctor and being weighed and measured was a sobering experience I can tell you. Thank the lord the practice nurse was only slightly slimmer than me.
I am having 4 shakes a day (Shake that Weight) for 3 days to kick start me, and 3 a day with a healthy evening meal for the rest of the week. Then, after my first weigh in, I’ll take it from there.
I hope this euphoria I feel today will last. However I know if I do start to wander off the regime, I’ll get sympathy and support on here.
I also hope to set up a weight tracker, when the forum fairies allow me to. Apparently, there is something called ‘the ticker factory’ which is easy to set up so long as I ask someone on here which code to choose… It’s all Greek to me.
Here are my stats and I am deeply, deeply ashamed
Weight 18st 9lbs ( that's a gross 261lbs): Bust 53” waist 53” hips 58and a half” I look like an over the hill pear.
My husband ( 39 years come December) says he'll still love me if I look like the Goodyear blimp. But I can't go on gaining like this. My hips, knees and ankles are very sore, and stairs are getting to be a problem. I want to be fit again

Last edited by Dollydimple; 03-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Dollydimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

The great thing about being really overweight is that you can eat a lot and still lose weight.

to do this, if you choose foods that are high in fibre and nutrition you will be more easily satisfied and will find it easy to lose the weight.

Mind you, i think you need to alway set rules and boundaries for yourself.

I don't know what your past diet history is but mine is intermittent and in recent years when i've taken a more mature approach (no fads) I have learned each time. Of course this time I'm hoping it will be my last.

If you eat healthy (and it seems a lot of people don't really know what healthy and nutritious is) then you will find it quite easy.

Basically the less processed the more you have to prepare your foods yourself; the less you can eat it straight from a packet, the more healthy your food is going to be. Whole foods, high fibre, high veggie content and high diversity.

Before you get near the end of your diet, make an effort to transition away from processed shakes to real food. we need to learn how to eat well for the rest of our lives. And be willing to commit to that sort of mission i think.

So that's why i'm giving up sweets forever. I mean if you are able to eat sweets in moderation, good luck to you and i envy you but i can't. Sugar just wants more sugar. Some people find that the case with high salted and added flavour foods.

Anyway good luck and hang in there. At least you are working with your doctors so that's a good move I think, though i am doing better than my doctor lol.

btw i don't rely on exercise for my weightloss. I would like to exercise more but it will come a bit later on when i am feeling better and when i am ready. For now and as the general rule goes, its 80% diet and 20% exercise for weightloss. But there are some nice healing exercise you can do now that shouldn't cause more damage or pain to your joints. Try tai chi or water aerobics if you want to get into exercise right now. Save walking and gym stuff till later. House cleaning and gardening are also really good because they have dimensions and don't cost much.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-15-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #3  
Trying hard

Thanks for the reply Pattience hope to speak to you again
I'm not going to do very strenuous exercise until my doctor tells me too. I was a fat child, slim nurse and medium young mum (UK size 16) My weight piled on when I gave up smoking in 2005 and then following a bereavement in 2010, and rollercoasted from there. now is the right time to take control of my life again
Old 03-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #4  
banned

yes quitting smoking was a major downfall for me too but no way am i going back there. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #5  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Dolly, you can do it! I know how a bereavement can throw you for a loop. My dad passed away after a very short illness last year, and it caused me to eat compulsively.

You have a supportive husband, that is worth a lot. Plan meals that your entire family can enjoy.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #6  
Trying hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
Dolly, you can do it! I know how a bereavement can throw you for a loop. My dad passed away after a very short illness last year, and it caused me to eat compulsively.

You have a supportive husband, that is worth a lot. Plan meals that your entire family can enjoy.
It was our daughter we lost in 2010, Serenity (what a lovely handle) . She was 32 and we had been her carers for all that time. She was autistic and epileptic, but to look at her, you wouldn't think she had any problems at all. She died suddenly during a seizure.

We will never be the same again, but we owe it to her memory to live life to the full. Her old labrador missed her dreadfully and grieved along with us.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/230.1/121

Height: 5'5"

Hi Dollydimple,

I'm so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. No parent should have to out-live their child. If you need to talk about, we're all here.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 230 lb (at the ripe old age of 25, sigh) and I just started my diet (for want of a better word) the week before last. We can do it together!
justagirlinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #8  
QueenofHearts

S/C/G: 205/196/125

Height: 5'5

I'm so so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My kids are 3 and 4 and I could never imagine. I've gained 20lbs since I lost my grandma in August. The more I read everyone's stories the more I see I'm not the only one who stress eats. My husband is trying to be supportive, for that I'm thankful. It's a learning process for us both. Good soul food has always been a way I've said I love you. A big 4 course meal of country cooking. Baked cakes. His favorite. Lol grandma always cooked really southern and we live in her house now. My husband grew up eating her cooking everyday she pretty much raised him. Always mashed potatoes or fries potatoes everyday. Fried meat, and vegtables boiled with bacon fat. So I continue to fix these meals for my husband as its helped him immensely. And I'm making my own meal on the side lol. It just makes it that much harder I guess.
Smiffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #9  
Trying hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffmama View Post
I'm so so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My kids are 3 and 4 and I could never imagine. I've gained 20lbs since I lost my grandma in August. The more I read everyone's stories the more I see I'm not the only one who stress eats. My husband is trying to be supportive, for that I'm thankful. It's a learning process for us both. Good soul food has always been a way I've said I love you. A big 4 course meal of country cooking. Baked cakes. His favorite. Lol grandma always cooked really southern and we live in her house now. My husband grew up eating her cooking everyday she pretty much raised him. Always mashed potatoes or fries potatoes everyday. Fried meat, and vegtables boiled with bacon fat. So I continue to fix these meals for my husband as its helped him immensely. And I'm making my own meal on the side lol. It just makes it that much harder I guess.
Don't tell me... your husband eats all that and you gain the weight.
I remember over 40 years ago, visiting Kentucky. Being made to feel welcome was overwhelming, the people were so friendly. It is my belief that if you don't eat your body weight in food, the Kentuckians feel offended. It was there, I got the recipe for apple sauce cake. My family loved it
Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #10  
Trying hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirlinthecity View Post
Hi Dollydimple,

I'm so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. No parent should have to out-live their child. If you need to talk about, we're all here.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 230 lb (at the ripe old age of 25, sigh) and I just started my diet (for want of a better word) the week before last. We can do it together!
How are you doing? I started yesterday (Friday) and I feel great. However you never know when the munchie gremlins will strike do you? Would love to keep in touch. There's safety in numbers
Old 03-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #11  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Hi Dolly! So glad you decided to post over here. Since I'm not British, (but a big Anglophile!) I hesitate to look in on the UK forum - sorry to hear it's a tad slow. Really, I've not been turned away from anywhere I've posted. I think you'll find the place friendly as a whole.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. I sympathize with your grief and understand how quickly things can spiral out of control with eating. Years ago, my father died suddenly. I was in my late 20's and having some success with one of my many attempts at weight loss, and after his death, I just went numb for about a year -- and of course, gained everything back.

It is a tribute to your daughter that you want to better your health to live for her. I can imagine what a good mother you were to her.

Now that you're getting a handle on your eating, start small with a little lightweight activity. You will be amazed how good you feel and how quickly your body will adjust. You might have some discomfort at first, but keep going - with persistence, you will get stronger! And, you will succeed! All the best to you!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #12  
Trying hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Hi Dolly! So glad you decided to post over here. Since I'm not British, (but a big Anglophile!) I hesitate to look in on the UK forum - sorry to hear it's a tad slow. Really, I've not been turned away from anywhere I've posted. I think you'll find the place friendly as a whole.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. I sympathize with your grief and understand how quickly things can spiral out of control with eating. Years ago, my father died suddenly. I was in my late 20's and having some success with one of my many attempts at weight loss, and after his death, I just went numb for about a year -- and of course, gained everything back.

It is a tribute to your daughter that you want to better your health to live for her. I can imagine what a good mother you were to her.

Now that you're getting a handle on your eating, start small with a little lightweight activity. You will be amazed how good you feel and how quickly your body will adjust. You might have some discomfort at first, but keep going - with persistence, you will get stronger! And, you will succeed! All the best to you!
Funny you should say that. My husband had me doing 'step up' or 'step aerobics' I think they are called, on the first step of our stairs. I did 5 yesterday (pathetic isn't it) and 7 today and by gum, my old knees feel a lot better. So you are so right Awshucks. He is an old cardiac patient from 2009 and, he says it was the best thing that happened to him. It got him healthy. He is going to do a few simple exercises with me that he learned in cardiac rehabilitation. He has a bike and rides everyday and says when I feel up to it, he will buy me one too. At the moment I think I would look like a haystack on top of a pimple, and I doubt my knees would last very long, but its something to aim for. Right, its getting on for 5pm here so its time I turned this off and got on with cooking tea. chicken and salad for hubby and just a bit of chicken and a shake for me
Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #13  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Dolly, losing a child has to be the most awful experience in the world. Taking nice walks outside is my favorite exercise, it is stress reducing too.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #14  
banned

Condolences for the loss of your daughter dolly.

Its great your husband seems to be on your side with the exercise. little things can make a big difference when done in the long term.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/230.1/121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydimple View Post
How are you doing? I started yesterday (Friday) and I feel great. However you never know when the munchie gremlins will strike do you? Would love to keep in touch. There's safety in numbers
So glad you're feeling good! There's a real strength in knowing you're taking control and making healthy choices. I'm battling cravings and withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I'm really struggling, but next week is a new start. I know what you mean, I wouldn't have made it this far at all without support from these forums!
justagirlinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote