View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
yoyoma

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
[I will probably modify this post as i learn more this evening]

From wikipeida sources of omega 6 fatty acids.

That should just about take care of the omega 6 argument. I mean if you give up grains for that reason, shouldn't you also give up eggs, poultry, nuts, avocados, all those oils? I eat a few of these things, including a lot of spaghetti, and i still eat it on my diet, though less in the last week or two because i replaced a fair bit of it with beans to get more protein.
1) I have not given up grains. But I limit them AND OTHER STARCHY CARBS (like potatoes and legumes) to avoid triggering my hunger.

2) omega-6 is an essential fatty acid (which means your body cannot create it). You need to eat it. I do not avoid eating omega-6 EFAs. Most sources of EFAs contain some amount of both 3 and 6.

However, the typical modern diet contains an imbalance of omega-6 and omega-3, with too much 6 relative to the mount of omega-3. Grain is heavy in omega-6; most green plant sources are heavier in omega-3. Grain-fed farm-raised animals also tend to be disproportionate in omega-6. Wild-caught or grass-fed meats (foraging on plants or plant-eating game) have a more favorable proportion of omega-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Well if it does trigger your hunger, I won't deny that's possible. But how much are we talking about and what do you do? Do you keeping eating plain rice? does anyone eat a loaf of plain bread?
I do not eat plain rice. I mix my small serving of whole grain rice in with my veg and protein food. If I add too much, I become hungry too soon. I also made a mistake recently, adding the small serving of rice to a dish that contained beans and ended up hungry.

I don't remember the last time I bought white bread. The only bread product I buy is whole wheat bagels for my daughter. When I am "maintaining" and get sloppy enough to eat a half WW bagel dry, I get into trouble. I also know that I am prone to binge on red lentils. It's not just grains for me, but starchy carbs in general.

Last edited by yoyoma : 03-23-2014 at 11:03 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote