Thread: March Chat
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #99
Wannabehealthy
Struggling Dieter

Ruth, I'm sorry to hear of all the difficulties you've been having. It's good that you're getting that tooth taken care of. It's very hard to remember to chew only on one side. I would do my best to eat that salmon! It's one of my favorites!

To All: I was reading the March issue of Prevention magazine and they had an article called "7 New Food Rules." They're not all new, but I did learn some things from it. This is my paraphrased version.

1. Cook real food. We already know that's best...cooking from scratch instead of using processed foods.

2. Buy the best food in the store. From that I learned that tiny tomatoes like cherry or grape have more lycopene, which lowers cholesterol.

Fruits should not be ignored in favor of veggies. They should be equal because fruit has more antioxidants than veggies. This excludes bananas, my favorite.

Whole carrots have more nutrition than baby carrots, and should be scrubbed, not peeled. (I usually buy baby carrots but will try mature carrots.)

Cook bold onions and eat sweet ones raw. (I only buy regular yellow onions for everything.)

Buy bunches of spinach and whole heads of lettuce. The bagged ones have less nutrition.

Eat artichokes. They have more antioxidants than any other veggies, including eggplant and red peppers. (I buy frozen and cook them with my roasted vegetables.)

3. Eat your bacteria. That sounds gross, but they are talking abut salt brined pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi and yogurt.

4. Cut down on meat. Giving up meat and cheese one day a week can reduce your sat fat by 15%.

5. Ditch dieting. If you cultivate habits than become automatic, such as having a protein packed balanced breakfast, eating something green at both lunch and dinner, if you have good habits at home you can socialize and eat freely-without counting calories and without forbidden foods. So eating what you like at a get-together with friends or family is not a no-no. (I would like to add that just make sure what you eat is not a trigger food for you.)

6. Eat your way well. Use foods than are known to heal. Many foods work to keep a good immune system, such as omega 3, celery, tumeric and cumin, parsley, EVOO, and chick peas added to your dish provides lots of fiber that keep you from having blood sugar spikes. They also mentioned smoked black cod, sprouted rye bread, cabbage, cauliflower, miso, and mushrooms as being very important to your health. ( I have cauliflower, mushrooms, and cabbage, but have never tried the others.) Ginger and fennel, walnuts, dark chocolate, kale, whole wheat pasta, chili peppers were also mentioned. Lots of good, healthy food.

7. This rule named 10 people, chefs, nutritionists and other professionals who each had tips and pointers on how to eat healthier.

I used to prescribe to Prevention, but quit because the current issue would be on the news stands long before my issue came in the mail. I have bought a few back issues at Goodwill, but recently decided to prescribe again and give them another chance. There are many good, informative articles in it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy : 03-23-2014 at 09:18 AM.