View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
Pattience
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

[I will probably modify this post as i learn more this evening]

From wikipeida sources of omega 6 fatty acids.

Quote:
Dietary sources[edit]
The evening primrose flower (O. biennis) produces an oil containing a high content of γ-linolenic acid, a type of omega−6 fatty acid.
Four major food oils (palm, soybeans, rapeseed, and sunflower) provide more than 100 million metric tons annually, providing more than 32 million metric tons of omega-6 linoleic acid and 4 million metric tons of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid.[24]
Dietary sources of omega−6 fatty acids include:[25]
poultry
eggs
avocado
nuts
cereals
durum wheat
whole-grain breads[citation needed]
most vegetable oils
evening primrose oil
borage oil
blackcurrant seed oil
flax/linseed oil
rapeseed or canola oil
hemp oil
soybean oil
cottonseed oil
sunflower seed oil
corn oil
safflower oil
pumpkin seeds
acai berry[citation needed]
cashews
pecans
pine nuts
walnuts[26]
spirulina[citation needed]
coconut[27]
That should just about take care of the omega 6 argument. I mean if you give up grains for that reason, shouldn't you also give up eggs, poultry, nuts, avocados, all those oils? I eat a few of these things, including a lot of spaghetti, and i still eat it on my diet, though less in the last week or two because i replaced a fair bit of it with beans to get more protein.

I also just read up again on the sources of omega 3. On the Heart Foundation website i see its not that hard to increase your intake for omega 3. They suggest soy and linseed wholegrain bread, walnuts and and another nut, a few vegetables, canola oil margarine etc. And that's not even to mention fish and beef. So basically if you are watching, it the omega 6 argument has no legs as a reason for not eating grains.

Well if it does trigger your hunger, I won't deny that's possible. But how much are we talking about and what do you do? Do you keeping eating plain rice? does anyone eat a loaf of plain bread? Yes i can eat a whole packet of raisin bread (which is full of sugar) but not wholegrain bread, not even a loaf of sliced white bread, not bowl after bowl of white rice, or plain adulterated spaghetti. But give me ice-cream, no need to add syrup, i can eat 2litres of it. I can stuff myself silly on peanuts, almonds, cheese but i'm not suggesting one has to quit eating these foods. I tried it before. It wasn't a good idea. Food became too uninteresting and too difficult to make tasty. Not impossible but a lot more work.

I recommend quitting sweets because they have no nutritional value. Grains do offer nutritional value. They are useful foods. But if you don't wish to eat them, you don't have to. And i have found they can be eaten in moderation. I'm sorry you haven't been able to do that.

Last edited by Pattience : 03-23-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote