South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/176/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Can't transition to phase 2 weight gain

I'm hoping someone on here can advise me.

This is not my first time on SB. My problem is: every time I try to move off phase one, I put on weight. I can only lose or maintain on phase one.
I've even tried doing week one of phase two for several weeks, trying to give my system time to adjust, tried reducing the fruit in week one of phase two. No success.

I've stayed on phase one for a longer time trying to get to my goal weight and then tried week one of phase two... Same outcome.

A person can't stay on phase one forever. What am I doing wrong. I'm very strict on both phases. I can't figure it out, and I'm so frustrated.
scorpgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #2  
American in UK

S/C/G: 149/145/130

Height: 5'7

Hi Scorpgrl, sorry to hear you're having trouble transitioning! Maybe if you gave us a sample menu, we could help you out a bit better?
amberconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

And what do you mean by "weight gain". One pound? Five pounds?

I put a pound on my second week of phase 1...and occasionally would gain, but the general trend was down. Generally, you only lose .5-1.0 lb/week on phase 2...and sometimes none (and sometimes lose 2!).

I agree, a menu would be helpful. Don't add in too many grains initially, that would definately be your culprit (they hold water!).
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/176/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the support!

Okay, so my typical day is something like this:

Breakfast: (toughest meal for me, really) Boiled egg

Snack: cucumbers

Lunch: Big salad with tuna

Snack: Green beans

Dinner: Salmon with broccoli

A big challenge for me is that I do not like a ton of vegetables. (I know. I know. But I just don't. So, I try to eat a lot of the few I do like.)

When I get on week one of Phase two, a typical day looks like that, plus strawberries or an orange.

Weight gain as in, a couple pounds a week.
If I continue on through the weeks gradually adding in a "good carb" each week, for example, steel-cut oats, then the weight gain increases.

So in the past, I just stayed on phase one for an increased amount of time, every time I'd try to transition, the same thing would happen, and I'd go back to phase one (adding a week to how long I was on it).

Over a year ago, I lost to goal weight on SB, but... on phase 1 bc I couldn't transition.

The problem is: phase one is so restrictive. I'm not sure I'm getting the nutrients I need, and... eventually I fell off the wagon on it. I put some weight BACK on (scale at the bottom of my post reflects current weight, which is well above goal as you can see). So in Jan. I got back on phase one, determined to transition to phase 2 this time.
Well, the loss on phase one is much slower than the first period I was on SB. And months later I still can't transition, already so bored and fed up with phase 1 I just don't know how I can stay on this long-term.
But... I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I have to do something. But what? If every carb--including fruit and whole grains--blow me up, what's the answer?

I appreciate any insight. Sorry for the rant. I'm just so frustrated.
scorpgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

First it definitely does not look to me like you are eating enough. When you add the fruit/grain you might be retaining water. One thing that works for a lot of people is a variation of the "Wendie" plan where one or two days a week you seriously restrict your calories to 500 or so and the rest of the week you eat what you want (as long as it's compliant with the SBD Phase you are on).
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I agree that you might not be eating enough. That would send your body the message that you are in starvation mode and would actually lower your metabolism. Maybe you can try increasing with PH1 foods first, then transition to PH2.

Regarding the Wendie plan - I found it worked pretty well for me when I was on weight watchers but have never heard of the low level of calories that Mmmckellen mentions. I could just vary over the course of the week but still within reasonable limits, probably never below 1200 calories, for those who count.

One thing that struck me in what you wrote is that you have PCOS and are insulin resistant. Maybe someone else can speak to that but I suspect it could be partly the problem for your struggles. It does seem you might be very carb sensitive.

Also, your experience with PH1 loss being slower subsequent times is very common.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #7  

I have to agree with what McKellen & Karen said about not eating enough. Along that vein, what kind of dressing are you adding to your salad? Are you using a lo-fat mayo on your tuna or trans fat free spread on your broccoli? Our bodies need a certain amount of healthy fats in order to function. Fat is our friend but only certain kinds in limited quantities (as listed in P1 food list) and I didn't see any in your diet plan. Along with not eating enough that also could be sending your body into starvation mode. Another thought, are you drinking water? Water can help flush fat and other toxins from your body.

Sue
pearlygirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Great suggestions, yet I have absolutely no understanding of PCOS/insulin resistance and associated difficulties with weightless. Have you discussed any of this with members of that forum? That might have some advice, too.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Debbie I just looked at your ticker!!!! Congratulations 100 pounds lost no wonder you have so much energy all the time. That is awesome, how did I not see this sooner!!
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote