View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #27
yoyoma

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Lets take dogs as an example. We think of dogs as meat eaters. Dogs prefer meat but they also can survive on other types of food and in fact most processed dog food is not pure meat. In india, most stray dogs don't get any meat to eat - and there are a lot of stray dogs in the cities. They survive on the food that public gives them which is everything humans eat which over there is not often meat in many parts.
Actually, part of dogs' adaptation to domestication is a genetic mutation that allows them to digest carbs. Prescription dog food for pancreatitis (low fat) is mostly carbohydrate.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ed-wolves-dogs

Humans seem pretty capable of digesting carbohydrates. It's the fuel that we burn preferentially.

But that doesn't mean that grains are the ideal health food for today's lifestyle and long lifespan. Grains can add a lot of omega-6 fats and can throw off the healthy balance of omega-6 to omega-3 in humans. Grain-fed beef (and dairy products), chicken, and farmed fish can also contribute to an imbalance.

Aside from the the omega balance, is the issue of whether starchy carbs (including grains) can trigger hunger. For now, I am going to disregard the rationale (evolution-based arguments) and physiological science (insulin/leptin), which I think is not yet cast in stone...

In my own case, I do try to include a small serving (a few heaping tablespoons) of nutrition-dense grains (e.g. black rice) in some of my meals but I know that if I include too much I will trigger my hunger rather than satisfy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Maintain its not grains that are the problem. For people who suffer from the insulin spikes, just quitting refined sugar alone will stop that problem and make the weight loss easier.
Please stop denying that my personal experience exists. My problem is not with sweets. (Sweets might also be a problem for me, but they have not been a significant part of my life for a very long time, with the exception of my 2 squares of dark chili choc at the end of a meal, which are not a problem for me).

Last edited by yoyoma : 03-23-2014 at 08:22 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote